Texas Archival Resources Online

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Collection Summary

Historical Note

Scope and Contents

Arrangement

Index Terms

Texas A&M University Kingsville, South Texas Archives

Spohn Kleberg Memorial Hospital Auxiliary Records



Collection Summary

Creator Members of the Spohn Kleberg Memorial Hospital Auxiliary
Title Spohn Kleberg Memorial Hospital Auxiliary Records
Dates: 1962-1998
Abstract: The Kleberg Memorial Hospital Auxiliary, formerly known as Kleberg County Hospital Auxiliary, came into being on February 14, 1962, with the first election of officers and the ratification of its by-laws by members of the Community Service Department of the Woman's Club of Kingsville, which was the founding organization. The fledgling Auxiliary became independent with that meeting. When the new hospital was dedicated in 1985, the group changed names once again to the Spohn Kleberg Memorial Hospital Auxiliary. This collection consists of documents and photographs that this organization created during their volunteer services over 30 years.
Identification A2009-002; A2009-002.AD; A2014-052
Collection URL http://archives.tamuk.edu/collections/ead.php?xml=Spohn%20Kleberg%20EAD
Quantity: 2 linear feet
Location: STAD Boxes: 1273, 1274, 1275, 1276, 1277, 1278
Language: English

Historical Note

The Hospital Auxiliary's first official service was in June of 1962 when Auxiliaries were hostesses for the official opening of the remodeled main building. That same month volunteers began their duties within the hospital. Volunteers were from the Woman's Club of Kingsville and were interested in their community and the welfare of their fellowman. They were persons willing to help raise funds for new equipment, staff an information desk, and help employees and medical staff provide for the needs of the patient. Candy Stripers were added to the volunteer force in 1964, and a scholarship program for graduating high school seniors was inaugurated the following year. An LVN scholarship program was established in 1976. The Auxiliary, in addition to its service on the floor of the hospital, also maintained a gift shop (opened in December of 1971), and provided a baby photograph service for new mothers. Money earned by the Auxiliary through their services were given to the hospital for new equipment. An awards luncheon was held each year in January to honor individual members for service during the year. Each year the Auxiliary hosted a Silver Tea in February to interest the community in the activities of the organization. The volunteers were known as the "Pink Ladies" due to their pink smock uniforms. They represent a big part of the history of Spohn Kleberg Memorial Hospital.

Return to the Table of Contents


Scope and Contents

"Pink Ladies" photographs of award luncheons and Silver Tea parties illustrated the outreach of the Spohn Kleberg Memorial Hospital Auxiliary. Scrapbooks, Memorial Guest Books, and Silver Tea Party Guest Books are present in the collection. Also included is the history of the organization, member rosters, handbooks, and the dedication booklet for the new hospital.

Return to the Table of Contents


 

Arrangement

Arranged in Folders

Return to the Table of Contents


Index Terms

Organizations
Kleberg County Memorial Hospital
Spohn Kleberg Memorial Hospital
Geographical Names
Kingsville (Tex.)
Subjects
Care of the sick
Caregivers
County hospitals
Voluntarism
Volunteer workers in hospitals -- Texas, South -- Kingsville
Hospital and community -- Texas, South -- Kingsville

Return to the Table of Contents