Fort Davis, Texas:
An Inventory of Photographs, 1920, at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Fort Davis, Texas, is the county seat of Jeff Davis County. The precursor of the town was a rough-and-tumble settlement formed just southwest of the military post of Fort Davis. Fort Davis, at the eastern base of the Davis Mountains, was founded 1854. The army post guarded the Trans-Pecos segment of the southern route to California, as the main fort in a line of forts stretching from San Antonio to El Paso. It played a significant role in the defense and development of West Texas. By the early 1890s the army abandoned the fort and the town, which had been a crossroads for travelers and hunters declined in population. Because of its mild climate and location, the town has become a resort during the twentieth century.
This collection consists of a postcard containing an image of the ruins of the old hospital at Fort Davis, Texas.
Open for research
Fort Davis, Texas, Photograph Collection, 1920, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas