Fort Concho, Texas:
An Inventory of Photographs, 1868-1972, at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Fort Concho, in San Angelo, Texas, was one of a number of military posts built to establish law and order in West Texas as settlers began to arrive after the Civil War. It was located at the juncture of the Main and North Concho rivers and named after the rivers which converge in San Angelo to form the Concho. Soldiers from Fort Concho scouted and mapped large portions of West Texas. As the town of San Angelo began to form across the river from Fort Concho, civilian law enforcement improved and the army abandoned the fort on June 20, 1889. In the fort was designated a National Historic Landmark. Besides museum exhibits and living history programs, Fort Concho hosts a variety of community activities.
This collection consists of photographs of groups of people, architecture, parades, horses, musicians, sheep ranching, an image of Jack Hughes (photographer), and weather.
Open for research
Fort Concho, Texas, Photograph Collection, 1868-1972, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas