An Inventory of Its Photographs, 1900-1936, at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
This is an artificial collection of photographs of Burkburnett, Texas. It is located in northeastern Wichita County, Burkburnett, Texas, was founded in 1867. Originally known as Nesterville, then Gilbert, the town was finally named for rancher Samuel Burk Burnett in 1907. The first oil well began production in 1912. By 1918, the town was a major oil producer and became one of the boomtowns of the 1920s.
This collection consists of photographs of Burkburnett, Texas. Bulks with photographs of the oil industry (1919-1936). It also contains a panoramic scene of Burkburnett (ca. 1920).
The negatives and prints are housed in separate envelopes.
Images from this collection have been digitized and can viewed at http://hdl.handle.net/10605/1897
Open for research
Burkburnett, Texas, Photograph Collection, 1900-1936, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Maria Vallejo, 2011