Texas Archival Resources Online

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Collection Summary

Pictorial History of The University of St. Thomas, Houston

Scope and Contents of the Collection

Arrangement of the Photographs

Restrictions

Index Terms

Related Material

Administrative Information

Description of Series

Malloy Hall

Lobby

First Floor

North Staircase to Basement Landing

Bottom of Staircase

Basement, East Corridor, East Wall

Basement, East Corridor, West Wall

Basement Corridor, North East Corner

Basement, North Corridor, South Wall

Basement, North Corridor, North Wall

Basement, West Corridor, East Wall

Basement, West Corridor, West Wall

Basement, Center Corridor, South Wall

Basement, West Corridor, East Wall

Basement Corridor, West Corridor, West Wall

Basement, South West Corridor, East Wall

Basement, South Corridor, North Wall

Basement, South Corridor, South Wall

Crooker Hall

South Entrance, Left Wall

Roy and Lillie Cullen Hall

Lobby

Doherty Library

Bottom of West Staircase

Jerabeck Activity and Athletic Center

Main Corridor, South Wall

Main Corridor, West Wall

Second Floor, South Wall

Second Floor, East Wall

Scanlan Room, North and East Walls

North Wall

East Wall

Link Lee Administration Building

Second Floor

Untitled and Undated Photographs

Office, President's Alcove

Murphy Hall (Formerly Memorial Library)

Main Entrance Corridor, North Wall

Main Entrance Corridor, South Wall

North-South Corridor, East Wall

Robertson Science Building

Lobby

The University of St. Thomas Archives

Campus Building Photographs

An Inventory of Photographs Depicting the History of The University of St. Thomas, Houston



Collection Summary

Creator: The University of St. Thomas, Houston
Title: Campus Building Photographs
Dates: 1947-2004
Abstract: Framed photographs and collages recording the University's history.
Identification: Campus Building Photographs
Quantity: 164 framed photographs and collages
Language: English
Technical: Photographs
Repository: The Archives of The University of St. Thomas, Houston,  3800 Montrose Blvd., Houston, Texas 77006-4626

Pictorial History of The University of St. Thomas, Houston

The University of St. Thomas was founded in 1947 by the Basilian Fathers who were invited by Bishop Christopher Byrne of the Galveston Diocese to establish a Catholic university in Houston. The first University building was the Link Lee Mansion on Montrose. Originally, most functions of the University were housed here ranging from the switchboard to the library, including classrooms and the office of the University President, Vincent J. Guinan, CSB. Despite difficulties during the 1950s and the 1980s, the University grew in enrollment, faculty, buildings and alumni support. The Mansion remains in use as the administrative headquarters of the University.

Return to the Table of Contents


Scope and Contents of the Collection

This collection of 164 framed photographs and collages (several frames hold multiple photographs) represents a small portion of the total UST archival collection. The photographs mounted on display in UST campus buildings are in color or black and white and were taken during the 1947-2004 time period. The photographs record people, events, buildings, and the growth and spirit of the University of St. Thomas. Several of the photographs in Murphy Hall were displayed by the building’s occupants while University benefactors also provided photographs.

Return to the Table of Contents


 

Arrangement of the Photographs

The photographs were selected to illustrate the history of the University. The matting, framing and mounting was directed by an outside consultant. The photographs are a static display and are available for viewing by everyone.

Return to the Table of Contents


Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

No restrictions on access

Restrictions on Use

Contact the Archivist for information on use.

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

These photographs, like other archival materials, must be maintained in a climate-controlled environment.

Return to the Table of Contents


Index Terms

All of the terms and names listed below can be found in the finding aid. The names are of people and organizations instrumental in the founding and growth of the University. The University of St. Thomas is a Catholic univeristy founded by Basilian fathers at the request of Bishop Christopher Bynre of what was then the Galveston diocese. The diocese has grown to become the Galveston-Houston Archdiocese. The fathers are memebers of the Congregation of St. Basil, CSB. The first University president was Vincent J. Guinan, CSB. A later president was J. Michael Miller, CSB. Not until 1988, over forty years after its founding, did a lay person become president. Connections with the Catholic church and the Basilian fathers remain very strong.
Names:
Byrne, Christopher
Guinan, Vincent J.
de Menil, Dominique
Monaghan, Francis
Miller, J. Michael
Organizations:
University of St. Thomas
UST
Galveston Dicoese
Houston-Galveston Archdiocese
Subjects:
Catholic university
Basilian Fathers
CSB
Chapel of St. Basil
Places:
Houston (Tex.)
Document Types:
Photograph
Titles:
Bishop

Return to the Table of Contents


Related Material

The general photograph collection held by the Archives of The University of St. Thomas.

Return to the Table of Contents


Administrative Information

Custodial History

These photographs have always been in the possession of the University of St. Thomas.

Preferred Citation

Campus Building Photographs, Courtesy of the Archives of the University of St. Thomas, Houston

Acquisition Information

Various individuals such as university photographers, benefactors, and employees provided the photographs listed below to the Archives of The University of St. Thomas.

Processing Information

The photographs were selected from the general collection of photographs held by the Archives by Betty Fioscher, '52 and '91, and Betty Kaffenberger during the 2001-2004 time period.

Other Formats

This collection contains only photographs and a few paintings.

Location of Originals

The originals, with a few exceptions, can be found in the Archives of the University of St. Thomas, Houston, Texas.

Return to the Table of Contents


Detailed Description of the Collection

The inventory lists the photographs on display by building with specific locations indicated.

 

Malloy Hall

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Lobby

Return to the Table of Contents




 



Eugene and Felice Malloy, n.d.

Return to the Table of Contents




 

First Floor

Shadwell Hall English Department, formerly LaSalle House, Education Department, n.d.
Shadwell Hall English Department, formerly LaSalle House, Education Department, n.d.

Return to the Table of Contents




 

North Staircase to Basement Landing

Celebrating the Design of the University Crest 1949
First Graduating Class--Steps of the Link Lee Mansion May 1951

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Bottom of Staircase

Architect's Scale Model of Jesse H. Jones Memorial Auditorium, n.d.
Architect Philip Johnson's Scale Model of Campus 1956

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Basement, East Corridor, East Wall

First Women's Residence, 36 Pinedale, Circa 1948
Second Women's Residence, 4410 Rossmoyne, Circa 1949
Second Women’s Residence, 4410 Rossmoyne, Circa 1949
First Men’s Residence, McMurray Hall, Circa 1951
First Men’s Residence, McMurray Hall, Circa 1951

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Basement, East Corridor, West Wall

Link Lee Mansion, Circa 1947
Link Lee Mansion, n.d.
Women’s Lounge, Link Lee Mansion, Presently Father Caird Conference Room, Circa 1947
Link Lee Mansion, First Campus Library 1947-1954
$2.78 a Month Will Build a Great University, Slogan for the First Capital Campaign, 1948
Link Lee Mansion, 1956
Link Lee Mansion Covered in Snow, Circa 1949
First Floor, Link Lee Mansion, n.d.
Link Lee Mansion, n.d.
Link Lee Mansion, Circa 1987
Link Lee Mansion, Circa 1968
First University Sign, Link Lee Mansion, Circa 1950
Rose Garden, Link Lee Mansion, n.d.
Tobacco Road, Link Lee Mansion, Circa 1950

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Basement Corridor, North East Corner

First Campus Cafeteria and Academic Offices, The Carriage House
Student Center, Rocca Secca, 1965
First Co-Ed Student Center, Rocca Secca, Later University Chapel, 1965-1967
First University Cafeteria, The Carriage House, Circa 1950
First University Cafeteria, The Carriage House, Circa 1950
Cafeteria and Student Center, Welder Hall, Circa 1959
Cafeteria and Student Center, Welder Hall, Circa 1959
Main Hall, Crooker Center, n.d.

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Basement, North Corridor, South Wall

Construction of St. Basil Chapel, 1996-1997
Construction of St. Basil Chapel, 1996-1997
Construction of St. Basil Chapel, 1996-1997
Construction of St. Basil Chapel, 1996-1997
Construction of St. Basil Chapel, 1996-1997
Construction of St. Basil Chapel, 1996-1997

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Basement, North Corridor, North Wall

CFirst Campus Chapel, Second Floor, Link Lee Mansion, 1947-1954
Second Campus Chapel, Link Lee Mansion, 1955-1965
Entrance of Third University Chapel, n.d.
Third University Chapel, Hughes House, 1965-1997

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Basement, West Corridor, East Wall

Mrs. Dominique de Menil at Artist Reception for Rene Magritte, Welder Hall, Circa 1966
Reception for Rene Magritte, Welder Hall, Circa 1966
Drama Department Rehearsal, Circa 1973
Center for International Studies, Formerly Theology–Philosophy and Art History, n.d.
Basilian Fathers Residence, Donoghue Hall, n.d.
Residence of Basilian Scholastics, Later Music Department, n.d.
Women of the Class of 1951 Volleyball Team 1951
Women of the Class of 1951 Volleyball Team 1951
First Buildings on Academic Mall; Jones, Strake and Welder Hall, n.d.
School of Nursing Dean Shirley Dooling, Circa 1972
History Department, Formerly School of Nursing, n.d
Masters of Religious Education Program, Formerly Campus Bookstore, n.d.
Jerabeck Activity and Athletic Center, n.d.
Jerabeck Activity and Athletic Center, Circa 1985
Jerabeck Activity and Athletic Center, Circa 1985
Political Science Building, Formerly Institute for Storm Research, n.d
Jones Hall Auditorium, n.d.
Storm Research Center, Dr. John C. Freeman, Jr., Circa 1981

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Basement, West Corridor, West Wall

The Academic Mall, n.d.
The Academic Mall, n.d.
The Academic Mall, n.d.
The Academic Mall, n.d.
The Academic Mall, n.d.
The Academic Mall, n.d.

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Basement, Center Corridor, South Wall

Men’s and Women’s Residence, Guinan Hall, Circa 1972
Men’s and Women’s Residence, Guinan Hall, Circa 1972
Men’s and Women’s Residence, Guinan Hall, Circa 1972
Father Braden Reviewing Plans for Guinan Hall, Circa 1969

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Basement, West Corridor, East Wall

Construction of Doherty Library, 1971
Doherty Library, 1972
Doherty Library, 1972
Doherty Library, 1972

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Basement Corridor, West Corridor, West Wall

First Campus Library, Link Lee Mansion, 1947-1954
First Campus Library, Link Lee Mansion, 1947-1954
Relocation of Library from Link Lee Mansion to Memorial Library, Circa 1954
Relocation of Library from Link Lee Mansion to Memorial Library, Circa 1954
Relocation of Library from Link Lee Mansion to Memorial Library, Circa 1954
First Campus Library, Link Lee Mansion, 1947-1954
Link Lee Mansion, First Campus Library, 1947-1954

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Basement, South West Corridor, East Wall

Construction of Memorial Library, 1954
Second Campus Library, Memorial Library, 1954-1974
Memorial Library, Presently Murphy Hall, Circa 1954

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Basement, South Corridor, North Wall

First Men’s Lounge, Physical Sciences Building, Circa 1948
Physical Sciences Building, 1948
General Assembly, Physical Science Building, Circa 1951
Physical Sciences Building, Physics Laboratory, 1950-1951
Organic Chemistry Laboratory, Physical Science Building, 1950-1951
General Assembly Led by Father Guinan, n.d.

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Basement, South Corridor, South Wall

Aerial View of Link Lee and the Science Building, 1947

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Crooker Hall

Return to the Table of Contents




 

South Entrance, Left Wall

Marguerite Mayisch Crooker, Major Benefactor of Crooker Center, 1894-1984, n.d.
Dedication of Crooker Center, March 17, 1975, 1975
John Henry Crooker, Major Benefactor of Crooker Center, 1884-1975, n.d.

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Roy and Lillie Cullen Hall

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Lobby

Music Center (First Location), 3812 Mt. Vernon, Circa 1966
Music Center (Second Location), 1115 Sul Ross, Circa 1968
Music Center (Third Location), Cullen Hall, Circa 1979

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Doherty Library

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Bottom of West Staircase

Link Lee Mansion, 1947-1954, Location of First Library, 1947-1954
Memorial Library, 1954-1972, Location of Second Library, Murphy Hall, 1954-1972
Doherty Library, 1972-Present 1972-Present

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Jerabeck Activity and Athletic Center

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Main Corridor, South Wall

Dr. John D. Jerabeck, 1912-1988

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Main Corridor, West Wall

Artist’s rendering of the Jerabeck Activity and Athletic Center which was named for the family of Dr. John D. Jerabeck, a major donor, 1982
Dedication of the Jerabeck Center was held on May 5 [1983]. Dr. John Jerabeck, Lloyd Webre, Bishop John Markovsky, UST President Fr. William Young, CSB, 1983
Groundbreaking for Jerabeck Center was held on April 6 [1982]. It was followed by a luncheon at La Colombe d’Or Restaurant where Fr. William J. Young, CSB, and Dr. John J. Jerabeck presented a rendering of the building, 1982

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Second Floor, South Wall

Jerabeck Activity and Athletic Center, 1983
Jerabeck Activity and Athletic Center, 1983

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Second Floor, East Wall

Dorothy Graves, Instructor. Front: Joan Bradley, Jeanette Tamborello, Mary Margaret Hoesel, Margaret Passmore, Pauline Ditta, Mary Clare Christiansen. Back Row: Pat Teahan, Mary T. Russell, Margaret Goetz, Genie Cruse, Shirley Baker, n.d.
First Director of Athletics – Charles Roger Larimer, 1951
Women’s Archers – Patsy Wedelich, Pat Mullen, and Theresa Smith, 1953
Women’s Softball – and volleyball instruction by Mary Auer- 1954
Women's Golf - 1954
Baseball Team - 1956
Basketball Team - 1962
Cheerleaders – Cecelia Goloby, Susan Moore, Maureen Ziayiek, Wanda Coryell, Linda Shackelford - 1965
Golf Team – John Burke, Mario Navoa, Coach Dave Davis, Mark Gammell,Chip Mitchell, Skip Davis - 1970s
Fightin’ Celts [jump shot photo] in action during their 11-24 season, 1985
Fightin’ Celts [four action photos] in action during their 11-24 season, 1985
[Informal team photo] “Fightin’ Celts traveled a fairly rocky path their first season back out on the basketball court since 1969. It was a tremendous learning experience for both the players and the coaching staff led by Coach Tommy L. Collins - 1985
Health Fair – Campus Nurse Priscilla Atwood and Counselor Joe Kay, 1990

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Scanlan Room, North and East Walls

Individual Photos of Members of the University of St. Thomas Classes of 1951-1968

Return to the Table of Contents




 

North Wall

Awarding of the First Honorary Degree, Joseph Cardinal Beran, Archbishop of Prague, Czechoslovakia, 1966

Return to the Table of Contents




 

East Wall

Listings of Names of Members of the University of St. Thomas Classes of 1969-1982

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Link Lee Administration Building

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Second Floor

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Untitled and Undated Photographs

Chapel of St. Basil
North Side of the Chapel
Academic Mall View
South Side
Interior View Showing the Cross
Interior View of the Rear

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Office, President's Alcove

Site of the first University Chapel. Current location of the Office of the President. Altar Crucifix located in the first University Chapel, 1947-1954

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Murphy Hall (Formerly Memorial Library)

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Main Entrance Corridor, North Wall

St. Thomas Memorial Library, 1954
Bishop Wendelin J. Nold, DD, STD, Blesses the library accompanied by Rev. Francis Monaghan, CSB, and Rev. Alfred Caird, CSB, 1954
Dedication Ceremony of the New Memorial Library, 1954
Students transporting books from the Library in Link Lee to the Memorial Library, 1954
Sul Ross Street closed to allow students to transfer books from hand to hand out of the window of Link Lee to the new Memorial Library, 1954
Library transfer approaches the hedge to cross Sul Ross to the Memorial Library, n.d
Books enter the Memorial Library from Link Lee Mansion, one at a time, 1954
First floor of the Memorial Library, 1954
Art Department faculty Dick Cabrall, Pat Colville, Jack Boynton and Earl Staley, chair, prepare to occupy the building in the fall, n.d.
Art student David Gray and view to Yoakum Boulevard, 1975
Art student and view to Yoakum Boulevard, 1975
Staff members Charlotte Zabolio, Michele Williams, Christine Carpentier, Kerry Bland, Barbara Wells, and LaNette Upp prepare for registration. n.d.
Lobby on the first floor of the building after it is remodeled and named John F. Murphy Hall, 1981
Registration in process in Murphy Hall, 1982

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Main Entrance Corridor, South Wall

50th Anniversary, Murphy Hall Dedication; November 5, 2004 with over eighty signatures. 2004

Return to the Table of Contents




 

North-South Corridor, East Wall

Memorial Library [Collage], 1954-1972
Art Department [Collage], 1971-1981
Murphy Hall [Staff] [Collage], 1981-2001
Murphy Hall [Staff] [Collage], 2001-2004

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Robertson Science Building

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Lobby

Physical Science Building, (currently T. P. O’Rourke Hall) Location of First Chemistry and Physics Departments, 1947-1994
Physics Department/Chemistry Department, n.d.

Return to the Table of Contents