TABLE OF CONTENTS
Southern Methodist University Woman’s Club Scholarship records
A Guide to the Collection
Founded in 1915, Southern Methodist University Woman’s Club has been in existence since the opening of the university. At the time, there was no means by which the faculty members’ wives could become acquainted. So one afternoon in the fall of 1915, Julia Morrison, wife of J. Ray Morrison, Lucy G. Campbell Kern, wife of Paul.B. Kern, and May Payne McIntosh, wife of John S. McIntosh, along with sixteen other women, created The Faculty Wives Club.
The next year, membership was broadened to include female faculty and executive heads. The Faculty Wives Club then became the University Woman’s Club of Southern Methodist University. The club’s name changed again in 1968 to its current name: the Southern Methodist University Woman’s Club.
The SMU Woman’s Club is a social club, in which women congregate to discuss current events, produce plays, and volunteer for the university community in the spirit of friendship.
While still the University Woman’s Club of SMU, the SMU Woman’s Club created the Mary B. Murphey Scholarship, named after an early president of the Woman’s Club and a Dean of Women. In the 1950s, the Mary B. Murphey Scholarship became the University Woman’s Club Scholarship. It was renamed again in the mid-1970s to its current name: the Southern Methodist University Woman’s Club Scholarship.
The bulk of the records end in 1991 when SMU began to manage the scholarship. Previously, the SMU Woman’s Club Scholarship Committee had controlled all aspects of the scholarship.
This collection contains the 1927-1994 records of the Southern Methodist University Woman’s Club Scholarship Committee. The records are comprised of letters, ledgers, receipts, checks, and IRS forms detailing the scholarship, its donors, and scholarship recipients.
The records are organized chronologically into one series, mostly by decade then academic year. Folder 7 in box 1 is largely comprised of materials from 1980 to 1984, however it is labeled “SMU Woman’s Club Scholarship, 1955-1984” because one ledger within that folder begins in 1955 and ends in 1983.
Access to Collection:
Collection is open for research use.
Permission to publish materials must be obtained from the Director of the DeGolyer Library.
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain copyright authorization.
Southern Methodist University Woman’s Club Scholarship records, Southern Methodist University Archives, DeGolyer Library, Southern Methodist University.
• Gift, Louise Harris, 1993.
• Transfer, Southern Methodist University Woman’s Club.
Processed by Judy Kingkaysone in 2011, and Dale Topham in 2012
Judy Kingkaysone in 2011, and Dale Topham in 2012.
Ada Negraru, 2011.