Southern Methodist University

Collection of Dallas morning news negatives and copy photographs

A Guide to the Collection



Overview

Creator: DeGolyer Library
Title: Collection of Dallas morning news negatives and copy photographs
Inclusive Dates: circa 1950-1984
Abstract: During the 1950s, historian Homer DeGolyer (1892-1963) received permission to microfilm a portion of the photographic files of the Dallas Morning News. Eventually, many of the original photographs that DeGolyer microfilmed were either destroyed or given away by the Dallas Morning News in 1977 in an effort to conserve space. In 1984 the DeGolyer Library commissioned Andy Reisberg of Flying Horse Photography to make copy negatives from the microfilm reels. These copy negatives with an accompanying print compose the present collection. This collection of Dallas historical photographs is organized by subject and includes the written descriptions appearing on the original microfilm.
Accession No: Ag1984.0294
Extent: 5 linear feet (800 negatives, 800 copy photographs)
Language: Material is in English
Repository DeGolyer Library, Southern Methodist University

Historical Note

The Dallas Morning News developed from the Galveston News, which was founded in 1842 by Samuel Bangs. By 1879 Alfred H. Belo, who had acquired control of the business, was investigating the possibility of establishing a sister paper in rapidly developing North Texas. When efforts to purchase the old Dallas Herald failed, Belo sent George Bannerman Dealey to launch a new paper, the Dallas Morning News, which began publication on October 1, 1885.

Linked across 315 miles by telegraph, and sharing a network of correspondents across the state, the Dallas Morning News and the Galveston News were the first two newspapers in the country to publish simultaneous editions. From the outset the Dallas paper enjoyed the double advantage of strong financial support and an accumulation of journalistic experience. From its parent paper, the Dallas News inherited the concept of being a state paper and of refraining from becoming the organ of any political party.

Beginning with a circulation of 5,000, the Dallas News soon absorbed its major competitor, the Herald (not to be confused with the Dallas Times Herald). It immediately leased a special train on the Texas and Pacific Railway to carry papers to Fort Worth, and in 1887 it engaged a special train on the Houston and Texas Central to deliver papers to McKinney, Sherman, and Denison on the morning they were printed. This expediency enabled the paper to meet the threat of the St. Louis newspapers, which in 1885 had a larger circulation in North Texas than did any state paper. By 1888 the News was printing an eight to twelve page edition daily and sixteen pages on Sunday. Its circulation reached 17,000 by 1895. In 1914 the News launched an evening paper, the Dallas Journal, which was sold in 1938. It also published the Semi-Weekly Farm News from 1885 until 1940.

Source:

Garrett, Judith M. and Michael V. Hazel. "Dallas Morning News,"Handbook of Texas Online


Scope and Contents of the Collection

Homer DeGolyer was a Texas historian and President of Southwest Microfilm Company of Dallas. Upon DeGolyer’s death in 1963, his papers and hundreds of reels of microfilm were donated to the DeGolyer Library at Southern Methodist University (named for Homer’s brother, E.L. DeGolyer, Sr.). Included among the reels of microfilm donated to the library were the four reels of film containing selected photographs from the files of the Dallas Morning News.

During the 1950s, historian Homer DeGolyer (1892-1963) received permission to microfilm a portion of the photographic files of the Dallas Morning News. Eventually, many of the original photographs that DeGolyer microfilmed were either destroyed or given away by the Dallas Morning News in 1977 in an effort to conserve space. DeGolyer, in filming these early Dallas records, was one of the first to recognize the value of microfilm to photographic preservation.

In 1984 the DeGolyer Library commissioned Andy Reisberg of Flying Horse Photography to make copy negatives from the microfilm reels. These copy negatives with an accompanying print compose the present collection. The collection is organized by subject, with the exception of the last miscellaneous section. Includes are written descriptions appearing on the original microfilm. Where the description on the image is illegible or missing, as complete a description as possible is provided. In some instances, the description on the negative may be inaccurate. Researchers who have the correct information are encouraged to contact the DeGolyer with updates to this guide.

Many of these images are useful for information value, but they may not be appropriate quality for reproduction.


 

Arrangement of the Collection

Copy prints are housed in 2 boxes and the negatives are in one drawer.
The collection is organized into 11 series:
Series 1: Architecture, 1875-1939
Series 2: Belo Corporation, 1884-1938
Series 3: City views, 1870-1936
Series 4: Disasters, 1884-1932
Series 5: Events, 1875-1934
Series 6: Fair Park, 1890-1935
Series 7: Government, 1910-1928
Series 8: Interiors, 1876-1935
Series 9: Portraits, 1874-1936
Series 10: Transportation, 1850s-1938
Series 11: Miscellaneous, 1888-1935

Restrictions

Access to Collection:

Collection is open for research use.

Publication Rights:

Permission to publish materials must be obtained from the Director of the DeGolyer Library.

Copyright Statement:

It is the responsibility of the user to obtain copyright authorization.


Access Terms

This collection is indexed under the following terms in the Southern Methodist University Libraries' online catalog. Researchers desiring related materials may search the catalog using these terms.
Belo (Firm) -- Photographs.
Dallas (Tex.) -- History -- Photographs.
Negatives.
Photographic prints.
DeGolyer, Homer L., 1892-1963.
Reisberg, Andy.
Dallas morning news.

Related Material

Dallas morning news: photofiles (Mf79.04)

Photographs from 1940-1960s available at Dallas Public Library, Dallas, Texas.


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Collection of Dallas morning news negatives and copy photographs, DeGolyer Library, Southern Methodist University.

Acquisition Information

Gift, Homer DeGolyer.

Processing Information

Finding aid prepared by J. Charles Donaldson III, 1985.

Digitally transcribed by George Mendez, Aaron Sanchez, and Lane Sobehrad, 2009.

Finding aid revised by Cynthia Franco, 2009.

Encoded by

Cynthia Franco, 2009.


Detailed Description of the Collection

 

Series 1:
Architecture, 1875-1939

This series is divided into the following subsections: academic, commercial, athletic, cultural, financial, government, hotels, institutions, manufacturing, organizations, religious, residences, transportation, and miscellaneous. Southern Methodist University is abbreviated as SMU in this series.
Academic
Item
1:1 Dallas school and colleges (six views), undated.
Item
1:2 Schools, undated (photo from book)
Item
1:3 Schools, undated (photo from book)
Item
1:4 Central High School, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:5 Drawing: Central High School, undated.
Item
1:6 Austin School, Dallas, 1886.
Item
1:7 Akard Street School, 12th (illegible) school, San Jacinto School, all dated 1889; [School building, illegible label, undated]
Item
1:8 Old Dallas Female College, Dallas, May 1886.
Item
1:9 Drawing: Oak Cliff High School, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:10 San Jacinto School, Dallas, 1913.
Item
1:11 Snider Hall, SMU, 10/1/1935.
Item
1:12 Virginia Hall, SMU, 10/1/1935.
Commercial
Item
1:13 Four buildings, not identified, undated.
Item
1:14 Dallas businesses. 4 views, undated.
Item
1:15 “Businesses”, undated.
Item
1:16 Wholesale Houses, undated. (photo of page of book)
Item
1:17 “Businesses”, undated.
Item
1:18 Building with sign on it: Ballard, Webb, and Burnette Hat Co., undated.
Item
1:19 Padgett Bros. Building, wagon in front, undated.
Item
1:20 Lone Star Gas Building, undated.
Item
1:21 Dallas Office buildings. (cards with eight views), undated.
Item
1:22 W. J. Lemp Stable, undated.
Item
1:23 Nolan Price Hardware, 1887.
Item
1:24 Sternkort Sign Co., undated.
Item
1:25 D. J. Langley and store, undated.
Item
1:26 Dry Goods Store (1916 by Sternkort Sign Co., Main Street)
Item
1:27 Employment Agency, Little Mexico, Dallas, 4/6/1925.
Item
1:28 The Big Cash Store, Corinth and Wall Streets, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:29 Dallas Power & Light Co., Dallas, 10/1/1935.
Item
1:30 Old Dallas Post Building, Dallas, 1898.
Item
1:31 Petroleum Building, Dallas, 1930.
Item
1:32 John Paul’s Carpenter Shop, Main Street, 1882.
Item
1:33 D. F. Sullivan, plumber, northeast corner of Commerce Street and Field Street, 1892.
Item
1:34 Mayer’s Summer Garden, Elm & Stone Streets, Dallas, 1885. Famous brewery wagons piled high with kegs of beer.
Item
1:35 Felix Bar, Dallas, 4/6/1883 (date 1883 crossed out later).
Item
1:36 Main Street business block, Dallas, 1885.
Item
1:37 Glen Lea Bar, Main and Murphy Streets, 1889.
Item
1:38 Scollard Building Exchange, Main Street, undated.
Item
1:39 L. Wagner grocery, SE corner Main & Jefferson, established 1878. Same location and name since George and Louis Wagner; First two-story building erected with first bricks made in Dallas by Joe Leonard.
Item
1:40 R. F. Eisenlohr’s Drug Store. Southwest corner of Main and Field Streets, 1875-1888.
Item
1:41 South side of Main Street from Field to Murphy Streets, Dallas, 1883-1888.
Item
1:42 Phillip’s Greenhouse, Pacific and St. Paul Streets, undated.
Item
1:43 Dallas Gas Co., Jackson and Harwood Streets, 9/17/1931.
Item
1:44 Adams and Leonard, Old Bank Building, now Sanger Garage, 1873. [photographed later]
Item
1:45 Commerce and Austin Streets, Dallas, 1885.
Item
1:46 Beaumont Building, undated.
Item
1:47 Cahn Brothers, 1873.
Item
1:48 Site of historic Crutchfield House. Title to entire Houston Street frontage acquired by Thomas Crutchfield, the proprietor, undated.
Item
1:49 Building torn down for triple underpass, Nov. 1934.
Item
1:50 Building torn down for triple underpass, Nov. 1934.
Item
1:51 Office buildings, 1908.
Item
1:52 Wholesale drug houses, Dallas, 1908.
Item
1:53 Wholesale Houses, 1908.
Item
1:54 Wholesale Houses, 1908.
Item
1:55 Implement houses, 1908.
Item
1:56 Implement Houses, 1908.
Item
1:57 Implement Houses, undated.
Item
1:58 Implement Houses, 1908.
Item
1:59 Wholesale houses, Dallas, 1908.
Item
1:60 Wholesale House, Dallas, 1908.
Item
1:61 Schoelkopf Co., 1888.
Item
1:62 Sanger Brothers, Dallas, 12/18/1918.
Athletic
Item
1:63 Work on grandstand, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:64 SMU Stadium, 10/1/1935.
Cultural
Item
1:65 Dallas Theaters (card with six views), undated.
Item
1:66 Theaters, undated. (photo from book)
Item
1:67 Drawings: Dallas Opera House, 1901.
Item
1:68 Dallas Opera House, 1883.
Item
1:69 Dallas Opera House, circa 1901.
Item
1:70 Dallas’ 1st theater on 2nd floor of Odd Fellows Hall.
Item
1:71 Thompson’s Theater. Main Street between Poydras and Martin Streets, undated.
Item
1:72 Field’s Theater, the second playhouse in Dallas, Main Street between Lamar and Austin, 1924.
Financial
Item
1:73 Dallas Little Theater, Maple Avenue 10/1/1935.
Item
1:74 Banks, undated. (photo of page in book)
Item
1:75 Dallas Banks (card with seven banks), undated.
Item
1:76 Drawings: City National Bank, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:77 Old Liberty State Bank, undated.
Item
1:78 National Bank of Commerce, 1930.
Item
1:79 National Exchange Bank Building, Dallas (1894?)
Item
1:80 National Exchange Bank, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:81 National Exchange Bank Building, Dallas, 1894.
Item
1:82 North Texas National Bank, Main Street, Dallas, 1888.
Item
1:83 Old Republic Bank, Dallas, 4/23/1930.
Item
1:84 State Bank and Trust Co., Dallas, undated.
Government
Item
1:85 Drawing: City Hall in 1885 on present site of Adolphus Hotel, Dallas.
Item
1:86 Old City Hall, corner of Akard and Commerce, Dallas, Oct. 1898
Item
1:87 Municipal Bldg., Dallas, undated.
Item
1:88 Old City Hall, northwest corner Commerce and Akard Streets, 1887.
Item
1:89 Dallas City Hall, 1885.
Item
1:90 Drawings: Dallas County Courthouse, 1885.
Item
1:91 Dallas County Courthouse of 1875.
Item
1:92 Drawing: Dallas Courthouse, 1880.
Item
1:93 Dallas County Courthouse, undated.
Item
1:94 Dallas County Courthouse and original Court Building in background, 1928.
Item
1:95 Courthouse. [date illegible]
Item
1:96 Old Courthouse. 1898.
Item
1:97 Dallas County Courthouse, undated.
Item
1:98 Courthouse of the 1850’s, 1857. (photograph with highlighting)
Item
1:99 Dallas County Criminal Courthouse and jail, undated.
Item
1:100 Old Post Office, Dallas, 11/21/1939.
Item
1:101 Old Post Office, Dallas, 11/21/1939.
Item
1:102 Old Post Office, Dallas, 11/21/1939.
Item
1:103 Old Post Office, Commerce and Ervay Streets, under construction, Dallas, May, 1893.
Item
1:104 Old Post Office Building showing the southeast corner, June 1893.
Item
1:105 Post Office Building, Dallas, 2/1/1893.
Item
1:106 U.S. Courthouse and Post Office Building, Dallas, 4/4/1893.
Item
1:107 Excavating for the Post Office Annex, Main end 1903. J.W. Slaughter in foreground.
Item
1:108 Old Central Fire Station, Main and Harwood. Present site of City Hall, 1875. People identified.
Item
1:109 Turtle Creek Pumping Station, undated.
Item
1:110 Roy Bean’s Court: Law West of the Pecos, undated.
Item
1:111 State Capitol, Austin, undated.
Item
1:112 Randolph Field Administrative building, San Antonio, undated.
Item
1:113 New Federal Building, Dallas, 11/18/1930.
Hotels
Item
1:114 Adolphus Hotel, Dallas 10/10/1911.
Item
1:115 Adolphus Hotel 10/1/1935.
Item
1:116 The Baker Hotel 10/1/1935.
Item
1:117 Drawing: Hotel Bogle, undated.
Item
1:118 Drawing: Cockrell Hotel, commenced in 1857 by Alex Cockrell and finished in 1859 by wife, Sarah Cockrell.
Item
1:119 Drawing: Grand Windsor Hotel, 10/1/1935.
Item
1:120 Hilton Hotel 10/1/1935.
Item
1:121 Jefferson Hotel 10/1/1935.
Item
1:122 McLeod Hotel, 30 years ago. 10/1/35.
Item
1:123 McLeod Hotel, undated.
Item
1:124 Oriental Hotel, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:125 Oriental Hotel, Dallas, 1910.
Item
1:126 Oriental Hotel, 1908. (Exterior and interior views)
Item
1:127 Oriental Hotel, exterior and interior, 1908.
Item
1:128 Oriental Hotel on --? (from Sycamore St.), undated.
Item
1:129 St. George Hotel, 1908.
Item
1:130 Left: Old Park Hotel, built c. 1904, remodeled 1930s to present Ambassador Hotel next to Old City park. Facade changed from brick to stucco. Right: St. James Hotel, 1908.
Item
1:131 St. James Hotel, Dallas, 1908.
Item
1:132 Park Hotel, Dallas. undated.
Item
1:133 Hotel Southland, 1925.
Item
1:134 Southland Hotel, 1908. (Exterior and interior views).
Item
1:135 Windsor Hotel, A.L. Hodge, proprietor, undated.
Item
1:136 Drawing: Grand Windsor Hotel, undated.
Item
1:137 Hotel, unidentified, undated.
Item
1:138 Hotels, 1908.
Item
1:139 Hotel interior, 1908.
Institutions
Item
1:140 Baptist Memorial Sanitarium, undated. (photograph from book)
Item
1:141 Baylor Hospital, 10/1/1935.
Item
1:142 Medical Arts Bldg., 10/1/1935.
Item
1:143 New Methodist Hospital, undated.
Item
1:144 St. Paul’s Sanatorium on Bryan Street, undated.
Item
1:145 St. Paul’s Hospital. Cornerstone laid 5/2/1897, undated.
Item
1:146 St. Paul’s Hospital, 1908. (photograph from book).
Item
1:147 St. George Hotel, St. Paul’s Sanatorium, Baptist Memorial Sanatorium; all Dallas 1908.
Manufacturing
Item
1:148 Wilkins Trunk Manufacturer, undated.
Item
1:149 Saddlery manufacturers, 1908.
Item
1:150 Clearing site of Hall of Records, Dallas, 1/22/1927.
Item
1:151 Higginbotham – Bailey – Logan manufacturers of clothing and wholesale dry goods, taken 1929.
Item
1:152 Dam and Pump station on Elm Fork at Record Crossing, undated.
Item
1:153 Todd Flouring Mills, Dallas, Broadway & Pacific, est. 1874 by Mrs. Sarah Cockrell, undated.
Item
1:154 White Rock Filtration Plant and Pump Station, built 1912, Dallas.
Item
1:155 Dallas Manufacturing Plants, 1908.
Item
1:156 Dallas Manufacturing Plants, 1908.
Item
1:157 Factory with railroad cars on front. Silos Inscribed “-- Milling Co.”, undated.
Organizations
Item
1:158 Old Dallas Club Building, 2/3/1929.
Item
1:159 Scottish Rite Cathedral, undated.
Item
1:160 Club houses, Dallas, 1908.
Item
1:161 Club houses, Dallas, 1908.
Religious
Item
1:162 Dallas churches, undated.
Item
1:163 Dallas churches, 1908.
Item
1:164 Callas churches (card with photographs).
Item
1:165 Dallas churches, 1888 (eight views, drawn).
Item
1:166 Dallas churches, undated.
Item
1:167 Dallas First Baptist Church, 10/1/1935.
Item
1:168 First Baptist Church, Ervay and Patterson, undated.
Item
1:169 St. Matthew’s Cathedral, Dallas, 6/30/1929.
Item
1:170 St. Matthew’s Cathedral, Commerce W. of Akard, Sept. 1925.
Item
1:171 Sacred Heart Cathedral and Parish House, corner Bryan & Ervay, circa 1897.
Item
1:172 St. Matthew’s Cathedral, 1880.
Item
1:173 Ursuline Convent, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:174 Ursuline Academy, 1874, 1875, 1902. (page from book)
Item
1:175 Drawing: Academy of Ursuline, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:176 Ursuline Academy on 1874. First building on the campus at St. Joseph’s & Live Oak. Dallas, undated.
Item
1:177 East Dallas Christian Church, Dallas, 10/1/1935.
Item
1:178 Episcopal Cathedral, 1905. Ervay and Canton St.
Item
1:179 First Methodist Church, 10/1/1936.
Item
1:180 Highland Park Methodist Church, Dallas, 10/1/1935.
Item
1:181 Original Highland Park Methodist Church in Dallas, undated.
Item
1:182 Drawing: First building of First Presbyterian Church in Dallas, 1872-1873.
Item
1:183 Drawing: First Presbyterian Church in Dallas, built 1869.
Item
1:184 First Presbyterian Church, Wood and Harwood Streets, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:185 Dallas Scientist Church, 10/1/1935.
Residences
Item
1:186 Drawings: Residence of T.M. Marsalis, Oak Cliff Dallas, undated.
Item
1:187 One of the oldest houses is homestead of Uncle Sammy Sloan, built 1844 at 45. Mrs. Fred C. Clark is present owner. Near Lancaster and Ledbetter Drives, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:188 Old Adoue home on Maple and McKinney Avenues, undated.
Item
1:189 Home of Charles S. Swindells, 625 Woodlawn, undated.
Item
1:190 Plantation home of Jimmy Whyche, St. Martinsville, LA, 1/6/1935.
Item
1:191 Shadows, owned by Weeks Hall, Weeks Island, LA, 1/8/1935.
Item
1:192 Original home of Mrs. W.O. Conner, Armstrong, Dallas, 1906.
Item
1:193 Eugene Crowdis’ home on Corsicana, Ervay, Dallas, 1900.
Item
1:194 Negro house on cotton farm owned by Mattie Caruth, Junius, and Fitzhugh, 1895-1905.
Item
1:195 Edward T. Moore home, 3523 Beverly Drive, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:196 The Old John Henry Brown home, Live Oak and Pearl Streets, Dallas, 3/30/1937.
Item
1:197 Old John Henry Brown house, N.E. corner, Live Oak and Pearl, 1872. (Photographed later).
Item
1:198 E.M. Powell home, 1805 Caruth Street. Ernest Powell with baby Durell in buggy. Mary Powell standing by steps. Dallas, 1884.
Item
1:199 Drawings: John Neely Bryan Cabin.
Item
1:200 Judge J.M. Patterson home, built early ‘70s. Stood on corner of North Akard and Patterson Ave. Until 1909.
Item
1:201 Akard and Commerce Streets. Old Williams Home occupied present site of Baker Hotel. In rear, old Akard home, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:202 Residence of Simon Hubig, 3716 Beverly Drive, 1925.
Item
1:203 Residence of H.L. Edwards, Preston Road, 1925.
Item
1:204 Residence of H.E. Prather, 4321 Overhill drive, 1925.
Item
1:205 Residence of John C. Jones, 5943 Swiss, 1925.
Item
1:206 Residence of Tom W. Mewsome, 4324 St. Johns Drive, undated.
Item
1:207 Residence of K.N. Hapgood, 4301 Lakeside Drive, Dallas, 1925.
Item
1:208 George M. Dilly’s home, undated.
Item
1:209 Home of late M.D. Garlington, 2300 McKinney Avenue, Now used by Red Cross. Built about 1893, undated.
Item
1:210 Home of late L. Philipson, cigar and tobacco dealer. 815 S. Akard at Cadiz street, built circa 1898, undated.
Item
1:211 Caruth home north of SMU, built in 1875. Lumber hauled from East Texas by ox car, undated.
Item
1:212 Home of late W.M. Edwards, at McKinney and Mastern (now St. Paul), undated.
Item
1:213 House built 1876 by late G.H. Scoelkopf. Sold to late J.B. Wilson, cattleman of early days, undated.
Item
1:214 Home of late Mrs. Elizabeth J. Thomas at McKinney and Pearl Streets, built 1889. Capt. Thomas died in 1876, undated.
Item
1:215 Home of late Beverly Scott, 2902 Swiss, built 1882, undated.
Item
1:216 Home of late Bishop A.C. Garrett, 2011 Greenwood, built 1880.
Item
1:217 Home of late Fred Harris, 4303 Swiss, built 1883, undated.
Item
1:218 Home of late General R.M. Gano, 4107 Gaston, built c. 1880. Sold to Dr. H.L. McLaurin, undated.
Item
1:219 Home of late W.H. Prather, 4417 Gaston, built in 1885, undated.
Item
1:220 Home of late Judge J.M. Hurt, 4005 Gaston, built 1880s, sold 1902 to Dr. J.B. Cranfill, later sold to General Crane, undated.
Item
1:221 Ardrey-Kahn home, northeast corner Akard and Cadiz Streets, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:222 Home of late Mitch Gary, 4019 Gaston Avenue. Was not built in its present form until 1896, undated.
Item
1:223 Robert Gibson’s home, Young and Pearl Streets, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:224 Home of John W. Swindells, publisher of the old Dallas Herald in pre-Civil War days.
Item
1:225 Drawing: John Neely Bryan’s cabin, first Post Office in Dallas.
Item
1:226 P.P. Adams log house, built 1851, 18 miles southeast of Athens, undated (photograph is recent).
Item
1:227 Old Dallas home built circa 1902, Ross and Harwood.
Item
1:228 Restored Steamboat House as Huntsville where Sam Houston died, undated.
Item
1:229 Old Dallas residence, 10/1/1925.
Item
1:230 Old Dallas residence, 10/1/1925.
Item
1:231 Daniel home place located in what is now University Park. Dallas, 1853. Miss --? Daniel, a daughter, is in inset.
Item
1:232 Simon Mayer (?)’s home, Live Oak Street, Dallas. House with tree, horse and buggy in front, undated.
Item
1:233 Caption illegible. Two-story white frame house, undated Label: “Dallas and Vicinity.” Two views.
Item
1:234 1805 Caruth Street, undated.
Item
1:235 First veneer house in Dallas on St. Paul, undated.
Item
1:236 Old homestead, undated.
Item
1:237 John A. Barnard home, site of Oak Cliff YMCA branch, undated.
Item
1:238 Drawing: John Neely Bryan cabin.
Item
1:239 Ruins of old Freeman house, undated.
Item
1:240 Nussbaumer Home, Swiss Avenue, undated.
Item
1:241 Old houses formerly at Jefferson and Young Streets, 1912.
Item
1:242 Houses which occupied site of Union Terminal Power House in 1912.
Item
1:243 Old Oak Cliff pioneer home, 1840.
Transportation
Item
1:244 Houston & Texas Central Station, undated.
Item
1:245 Gulf Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Co., Dallas, undated.
Item
1:246 Old Missouri-Kansas-Texas Station at Pacific and Market Streets, undated.
Item
1:247 Santa Fe Terminal, 1925.
Item
1:248 Commerce Street looking east. Old Santa Fe Station, 1898.
Item
1:249 Texas & Pacific Railway General Office, Dallas, 1880.
Item
1:250 Texas & Pacific Railroad, Dallas, 1/24/1927.
Item
1:251 Union Depot, East Dallas, 1933.
Item
1:252 Union Terminal Company Rose Garden, 5/5/1933.
Item
1:253 East Dallas Union Depot, undated.
Item
1:254 Union station, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:255 City Ticket office, Corner Main and Lamar Streets, 1890.
Item
1:256 Railway Express Building, at block to west along Houston, 4/27/1933.
Item
1:257 Railway Express Office, Houston and Burlington, 4/26/1933.
Item
1:258 Terminal Building, Dallas, June 1917.
Miscellaneous
Item
1:259 Gould Building, 1889.
Item
1:260 Oak Cliff Park and Lake, 1889; Central School, 1889; Dallas Artillery, undated; Oak Cliff Female College, undated.
Item
1:261 Dallas Skyscraper. Magnolia Bldg. under construction, undated.
Item
1:262 Main and Akard, Old Rowan Building, undated.
Item
1:263 Lansing Bldg., Main & Ervay, Dallas, 6/16/1929.
Item
1:264 Butler Brother Building, Dallas, undated.
Item
1:265 Building at SW corner of Market and Commerce Streets, formerly occupied by City National Bank Dallas, 1872. (picture later).
Item
1:266 Southeast corner of Main and Murphey Street. Present site of Southland Hotel, 1883-1888, undated.
Item
1:267 Building under construction, unidentified, undated.
Item
1:268 Building, unidentified, undated.
Item
1:269 Clockwise from upper left: Dallas Club, Southwestern Telephone & Telegraph Building, City Hall, A. Sanger residence, City park scene.
Item
1:270 Northwest corner Houston and Arlington, April 1913.
Item
1:271 Remodeling the Hutton-Drake Building, Elm and Akard Streets, 1/19/36.
Item
1:272 Dallas Landmarks of 40 years ago, 1890?
Item
1:273 Dallas landmarks of 40 years ago, 10/1/1929. (Page from book with photos of three homes and two buildings.) 1889?
Item
1:274 View of south side of Commerce Street, 1890.
Item
1:275 Stone building in downtown area. No identification.
Item
1:276 Four buildings, not identified.
Item
1:277 The Alamo, San Antonio, 1920s?
Item
1:278 Building under construction. Unidentified, undated.
Item
1:279 Building unidentified, undated.
Item
1:280 Green Building, ladies in long dresses, wagons, undated.
Item
1:281 Fingerprints in brick used for Dallas buildings, 9/16/1934.



 

Series 2:
Belo Corporation, 1884-1938

This series is divided into the following subsections: Dallas News building, events and portraits, offices, work rooms, writers and editors, delivery, physical plant, Dallas Journal, Galveston News, WFAA.
Dallas News Building
Item
2:1 WFAA on top of Dallas News Building, undated.
Item
2:2 Dallas News, 1910.
Item
2:3 Drawing: Dallas Morning News, undated.
Item
2:4 Dallas News Building, undated.
Item
2:6 The Dallas News circa 1900.
Item
2:7 Dallas Morning News Building, undated.
Item
2:8 Plant of Dallas News, undated.
Item
2:9 News Building decorated for Elk’s National Convention, Dallas, 1908.
Item
2:10 The Dallas Morning News Building, 1885.
Item
2:11 The News Copy of photo taken from Mr. Lubben’s offices, undated.
Item
2:12 Dallas Morning News, Commerce and Austin, 1925.
Events and Portraits
Item
2:13 21-year men in Oct. 1924, on 50th anniversary with A.H. Belo Co., Dallas.
Item
2:14 Official starting the presses for the 50th anniversary edition of the Dallas Morning News, 10/1/35.
Item
2:15 Dallas News Special Office, 1894 or 1895.
Item
2:16 Dallas News, 1885 (interior).
Item
2:17 Dallas Morning News original business office, between 1895-1900.
Item
2:18 Dallas News original business office, undated.
Item
2:19 Business Office Employees, Dallas Morning News, Dallas, 1894.
Item
2:20 Mr. Dealey and scroll presented him by Dallas Morning News employees on Golden Jubilee Edition, undated.
Item
2:21 Photocopy from Mr. Lubben’s office, undated.
Item
2:22 Tom Finty, John F. Lubben, G.B. Dealey, Walter Dealey, and Ennis Cargill, undated.
Offices
Item
2:23 Alfred Belo, President of Dallas News, circa 1903.
Item
2:24 Colonel Alfred H. Belo’s room, Dallas News, circa 1900.
Item
2:25 Mr. Dealey, undated, taken in office, cake with many candles)
Item
2:26 Bill Sterrett and Tom Finty, The Dallas News, circa 1901.
Item
2:27 Luther Clark, Editor-in-chief, Dallas News, circa 1901.
Item
2:28 D. P. Toomey, then managing editor of the Dallas News, circa 1901, sitting in front of desk; Tom Finty next to him.
Item
2:29 Office of the Dallas & Galveston News at the fairgrounds, 1887.
Work Rooms
Item
2:30 #1 & 2 presses of Dallas Morning News, circa 1900.
Item
2:31 Dallas News press, 1900.
Item
2:32 #1 and #2 presses, where first colored comic were printed, Dallas Morning News, c. 1900.
Item
2:33 #3 press of the Dallas Morning News, circa 1913.
Item
2:34 #1 and 2 presses of Dallas Morning News, circa 1900.
Item
2:35 First Dallas News Press and force, undated.
Item
2:36 First Dallas News Press and force, undated.
Item
2:37 Dallas News press room , Circulation Dept., Engine Room at its beginning, 1885.
Item
2:38 First Linotype Room of the Dallas Morning News in the new building, circa 1902.
Item
2:39 Linotype operator, Dallas Morning News, 1929.
Item
2:40 Stereotype Room of the Dallas Morning News, circa 1885.
Item
2:41 Stereotype Room of Dallas Morning News, circa 1902.
Item
2:42 Job room of Dallas Morning News, circa 1888.
Item
2:43 Photo Engraving Dept., Dallas Morning News, circa 1900.
Item
2:44 Composing Room of the Dallas Morning News, circa 1900.
Item
2:45 Old Composing room of Dallas Morning News, circa 1886-87.
Writers and Editors
Item
2:46 Editorial Room, Dallas Morning News, 1904.
Item
2:47 Dallas Morning News night editor’s dept., Aug. 1912.
Item
2:48 The Dallas News Capitol Correspondence, Austin. John Thornton at lower right, 1890.
Item
2:49 United Press office in Dallas News Building, 10/1/1935.
Item
2:50 Associated Press In 1900, located in the Dallas Morning News Building, Dallas.
Item
2:51 First Associated Press Bureau in Texas, located in the Dallas News Building, Sept., 1900.
Item
2:52 Associated Press day office in the Times Herald Building, Dallas, 10/1/35.
Item
2:53 Associated Press night office in Dallas News Building, 10/1/1935.
Item
2:54 How wire photos are transmitted, 10/1/1935.
Item
2:55 How wire photos are received, Dallas 10/1/35.
Delivery
Item
2:56 Dallas News mailing room, 10/1/1935.
Item
2:57 Old Dallas News mailing room, 1900.
Item
2:58 Old Dallas News mailing room, 1900.
Item
2:59 Dallas News mailing room, undated.
Item
2:60 Dallas News mailing room, undated.
Item
2:61 Dallas News trucks, 10/1/1935.
Item
2:62 Dallas News delivery truck.
Item
2:63 Dallas News paper boys in 1888.
Item
2:64 (Caption all but illegible) Newsboy surrounded by various city newspapers, 10/1/1936?
Item
2:65 Commerce and Lamar Streets, corner of Dallas Morning News, undated.
Item
2:66 Drawing: Golden Jubilee, Dallas Morning News, 10/1/1935.
Physical Plant
Item
2:67 Old Basement of the Dallas Morning News, undated.
Item
2:68 Old Basement of the Dallas Morning News, undated.
Item
2:69 Dallas Morning News boiler room circa 1900.
Item
2:70 Engine and power dept. room of the Dallas Morning News, circa 1900.
Item
2:71 Old engine room of Dallas Morning News, circa 1900.
Item
2:72 Old engine room of Dallas Morning News, circa 1900.
Dallas Journal
Item
2:73 Press room when Dallas Journal was born, 4/1/1914.
Item
2:74 (Duplicate of 2:75) Labeled: “Banquet given on occasion of Dallas Journal’s first birthday 4/1/1915, at Adolphus Hotel.
Item
2:75 (Duplicate of 2:74) Labeled: “Dallas News banquet at the Scottish Rite Cathedral in 1922.”
Item
2:76 Mayor Blaylock starting presses on 10th birthday of Dallas Journal, 4/1/24.
Item
2:77 Dallas News Journal press room with executives, 10/1/1935.
Item
2:78 Dallas Journal staff, W. W. Truax, City Editor of Dallas Journal, 7/1/38.
Item
2:79 Last edition of Dallas Journal, 6/30/1938.
Item
2:80 Last edition of Dallas Journal, 6/30/1938. George S. Dealey and unidentified man.
Item
2:81 Group of Dallas News and Evening Journal employees in Preparedness Day Parade, 5/30/1916.
Galveston News
Item
2:82 Galveston News, Galveston, undated.
Item
2:83 Galveston News, Galveston, undated.
Item
2:84 Galveston News, est. 1842.
Item
2:85 Galveston News Branch Office at Houston, Texas, 1884.
WFAA
Item
2:86 Station WFAA at Grapevine, Texas, under construction, undated.
Item
2:87 WFAA, Grapevine, Texas, under construction, undated.
Item
2:88 WFAA under construction. Shipment of steel for towers, undated.
Item
2:89 WFAA, the station under construction, undated.
Item
2:90 WFAA, Grapevine, undated.
Item
2:91 WFAA, undated.
Item
2:92 L. B. Henson (Benson?) WFAA Supervisor, undated.
Item
2:93 WFAA, undated.
Item
2:94 WFAA top of Dallas News, undated.
Item
2:95 WFAA, 1928 (interior).
Item
2:96 [interior view equipment at WFAA]
Item
2:97 Aerial view of construction of WFAA.
Item
2:98 Station WFAA, Grapevine, 10/1/1935.



 

Series 3:
City views, 1870-1936

This series is divided into the following subsections: street scenes, Triple Underpass, street construction and public works, bridges, water, aerials, grounds, rural, non-Dallas. Southern Methodist University is abbreviated as SMU in this series.
Street Scenes
Item
3:1 Streets of Dallas, undated.
Item
3:2 Harwood Street widening, looking north from Ross, 1925.
Item
3:3 Oak Lawn Avenue, formerly Preston Road, undated.
Item
3:4 North Henderson, Dallas, 1923.
Item
3:5 South Beacon, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:6 S. W. corner of Jefferson and Jackson, April 1913.
Item
3:7 Scene in proposed industrial district, .June 1917.
Item
3:8 Ross Avenue and St. Paul, 7/19/1928.
Item
3:9 Jefferson and Young Streets, Dallas, 1912.
Item
3:10 Northwest corner of Houston and Arlington, April 1913.
Item
3:11 Northwest corner Arlington and Jefferson, April 1913.
Item
3:12 Looking north on Houston from corner of Arlington, April 1913.
Item
3:13 Jackson Street looking west near Houston, April 1913.
Item
3:14 Looking west up Commerce Street viaduct from foot of Old Commerce Street, Dallas, 5/25/1931.
Item
3:15 Frank Rogers photo looking south on St. Paul St. Two story bldg. on left is old Opera House located on St. Paul between Elm & Main (now site of Joske’s). Circa 1917.
Item
3:16 Corner Elm and St. Paul, Dallas, 1930.
Item
3:17 State Fair parade. Governor S. W. T. Lanham and C. A. Zeating occupy front car. circa 1905.
Item
3:18 Main Street looking -- toward -- circa 1900.
Item
3:19 West on Main Street from St. Paul, Sept. 1925.
Item
3:20 Looking west from Akard on Main Street, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:21 Pearl, Pacific, and Elm Streets, Dallas, 1927.
Item
3:22 Elk’s Arch at Main and Akard Streets under construction, circa 1908. (See Also 3:29).
Item
3:23 Knox Street, Dallas, 1924.
Item
3:24 Orange Street extension and opening, looking north from Pacific circa 1925, Dallas.
Item
3:25 Pacific Avenue, Dallas, 10/1/1935.
Item
3:26 San Jacinto and Harwood Streets, undated.
Item
3:27 Main Street between St. Paul & Harwood Streets, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:28 Third-prize picture in Dallas Beautiful Contest, 3/15/1927.
Item
3:29 Main and Akard Streets, undated (See 3:22).
Item
3:30 Pacific Avenue, undated.
Item
3:31 Looking toward town on Live Oak Street, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:32 South Lamar widening circa 1925.
Item
3:33 Pacific Avenue, 1930.
Item
3:34 Main Street looking west from Houston Street, Dallas, 9/16/1934.
Item
3:35 Orange Street opening and widening, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:36 Main looking east from Murphy, undated.
Item
3:37 Rex Hotel and Buckingham Co. Drugs, Jefferson and Commerce, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:38 Orange Street after its opening and extension from Cedar Springs to Pacific, circa 1925.
Item
3:39 Pacific Avenue at Ervay, looking south, 1917.
Item
3:40 West on Commerce Street from Houston Street, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:41 East on Commerce, Commerce and Houston streets, 1900.
Item
3:42 Lamar and Elm Streets, June 1917.
Item
3:43 Looking south in proposed Industrial District, June 1917.
Item
3:44 Debris of old landmark at Camp and Lamar Streets for lead track to Texas & Pacific Industrial District, undated.
Item
3:45 Where John Henry Brown home was torn down to widen Pearl and Live Oak, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:46 Sycamore Street looking South, 1887.
Item
3:47 Old Dallas Business District, June 1917.
Item
3:48 400 Commerce, once the site of the first building in North Texas, Dallas, 9/16/1934.
Item
3:49 West side of Lamar Street, south of Main, Dallas, 5/11/1922.
Item
3:50 Lamar Street looking north, Dallas, 1926.
Item
3:51 Commerce Street looking west from Harwood. First Methodist Church (south) on (left). Oriental Hotel further west on same side of street. Dallas, 1895.
Item
3:52 East on Commerce from West of Akard Street, Dallas, Sept. 1925.
Item
3:53 Main Street, Dallas, undated
Item
3:53.1 Main Street, Dallas, undated (#3:53 retouched)
Item
3:54 Looking south from Ervay and Pacific, June 1917.
Item
3:55 Main looking east from Field Street, Dallas, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:56 Industrial District in June 1927.
Item
3:57 Lamar Street looking north between Elm & Main, 4/4/1923.
Item
3:58 Looking north on Lamar Street from Santa Fe Railway, 5/15/1922.
Item
3:59 Looking south in front of station, June 1917.
Item
3:60 Scene in proposed Industrial District, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:61 Old Dallas Business District, June 1917.
Item
3:62 Looking east on Main Street from Lamar, 1898.
Item
3:63 North Patterson Street, Dallas, 1923.
Item
3:64 North Lamar at McKinney Avenue, 5/27/1931.
Item
3:65 Main Street, Dallas, 1880 and 1918.
Item
3:66 Stone Street looking north from Main, June 1917.
Item
3:67 Camp Street looking east from N. Lamar, June 1917.
Item
3:68 Akard Street looking south at Pacific Avenue, 1917.
Item
3:69 Main Street looking west from Poydras c. 1872.
Item
3:70 Titche-Goettinger, Elm, and Ervay, 1917.
Item
3:71 Pacific Avenue paving, Dallas, 1926.
Item
3:72 South side Main Street, looking west on Main from Field to Murphy Streets, Dallas, 1925.
Item
3:73 Commerce Street, June 1922.
Item
3:74 East on Commerce Street from Murphy Street, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:75 Commerce and Main Streets, 1917.
Item
3:76 Looking east on Commerce from Market, 1917.
Item
3:77 Main and Ervay Streets, Dallas, 1898.
Item
3:78 Main Street looking east from Lamar, Sept. 1925.
Item
3:79 Elm Street, Dallas, 1917.
Item
3:80 Northwest corner Jackson and Jefferson. Courthouse and Texas Hotel in background, 8/8/1919.
Item
3:81 Main Street looking east from Scollard Court, 1887.
Item
3:82 Elm Street looking east from Akard, undated.
Item
3:83 Ewing Avenue, Oak Cliff, undated.
Item
3:84 Looking east on Commerce from Murphy Street showing Santa Fe Station, 6/9/1923.
Item
3:85 Looking east on Commerce between Murphy and Field Streets, 1890.
Item
3:86 Main Street in 1870s.
Item
3:87 Pacific Avenue before removal of tracks in 1917.
Item
3:88 Looking west on Main Street circa 1890, Dallas.
Item
3:89 Looking west on Main Street, circa 1890.
Item
3:90 Looking east on Commerce Street from Market Street, 1885-1890.
Item
3:91 Looking west on Main Street from Stone, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:92 Scollard Building, undated.
Item
3:93 Praetorian Building, undated.
Item
3:94 Orange and Ross, Dallas, 19-2 (1922?).
Item
3:95 Main Street east from Lamar, Dallas, 8/8/1919.
Item
3:96 Elm, Live Oak, and Ervay Streets, Dallas, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:97 Elm Street, east from Ervay, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:98 Ervay Street, north of Elm, Dallas, 8/8/1919.
Item
3:99 Elm Street and Akard Street, Dallas, 3/20/1918.
Item
3:100 Building at Akard and Pacific, 7/1/1925.
Item
3:101 Pearl Street Extension, undated.
Item
3:102 Commerce Street looking east, 8/8/1919.
Item
3:103 St. Paul Street Paving and extension, undated.
Item
3:104 Lamar Street north of Elm, undated.
Item
3:105 Traffic signals on Ervay Street, undated.
Item
3:106 Main Street looking east from Poydras, undated.
Item
3:107 Main Street, undated.
Item
3:108 Main Street looking east from Market Street, 1880.
Item
3:109 Elm Street west of Ervay, site where Hulsey is to erect his skyscraper. Dallas, 8/8/1919.
Item
3:110 St. Paul Street looking north, 1925.
Item
3:111 Orange Street after improvement, undated.
Item
3:112 Main Street looking east, undated.
Item
3:113 Elm Street, Dallas, looking east, undated. (duplicate of 294:3:115)
Item
3:114 Elm Street, Dallas, undated. (duplicate of 294:3:115)
Item
3:115 Elm Street, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:116 Typical arrest scene in residential part of Dallas. Ox-drawn freight train is seen in left corner of picture. Dallas, 1872.
Item
3:117 Looking east on Main from Jefferson, showing first two-story brick business house erected, Wagner Grocery, Dallas, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:118 Widening of Elm Street from Harwood to Pearl, undated.
Item
3:119 Looking west on Commerce from Harwood, Dallas, Sept. 1925.
Item
3:120 Main Street, 1914.
Item
3:121 Main Street, Dallas, 1918.
Item
3:122 Looking south on Akard from Elm, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:123 Central Avenue, Dallas, 12/20/1926.
Item
3:124 Main Street looking east from Murphy. Also the City National Bank to left, in foreground. Aug. 1925.
Item
3:125 Elm Street at Market, looking northward in 1870s.
Item
3:126 S.E. Corner of Main and Lamar, undated.
Item
3:127 The Dallas News Building, Commerce St., undated.
Item
3:128 Commerce and Ervay Streets, Dallas, 2/8/1927.
Item
3:129 Elm Street looking north on Ervay. L. J. Bartlett Livery Stable. Dallas, 1890s.
Item
3:130 Main Street Dallas, 1873.
Item
3:131 Commerce Street, undated.
Item
3:132 Jefferson Hotel, Auto Storage and Scott Hotel. 4/20/1933.
Item
3:133 Southwest corner Jackson and Jefferson. April 1913.
Item
3:134 Jackson Street looking northwest from corner of Houston, April 1913.
Item
3:135 Texas Hotel, Jackson Street. 4/21/1933.
Item
3:137 Corner of Jefferson and Young, Ferris Plaza, Jefferson Hotel, 1933.
Item
3:138 Union Station, April 1933.
Item
3:138.1 Union Station, April 1933. (#3:138 retouched)
Item
3:139 Union Station, April 1933.
Item
3:140 Corner Houston and Commerce Streets, undated.
Item
3:141 Commerce looking northeast from Akard. Post Office in distance, 1890.
Item
3:142 Commerce Street, Dallas, 1912.
Item
3:143 Commerce and Houston Streets, Dallas, 9/24/1934.
Item
3:144 Main Street, undated.
Item
3:145 Famous Elks’ Arch, Main & Akard, Dallas, 1908.
Item
3:146 Famous Elks’ Arch, Main & Akard, Dallas, 1908.
Item
3:147 Commerce Street, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:148 Orange Street, between McKinney and Pacific, undated.
Item
3:149 Lamar looking south from Pacific before block between Pacific and Elm widened, undated.
Item
3:150 Southwest corner of Elm and Akard Streets, 8/3/1925.
Item
3:151 Commerce Street looking west from Harwood. Dallas, 1910.
Item
3:152 View of Elm Street, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:153 [Street scene. Horse and carriages.]
Item
3:154 Street scene. [Caption illegible.]
Item
3:155 [Street scene. Horses and carriages. Autos.]
Item
3:156 [Street scene. Horse and carriages. Shadows. Caption illegible.]
Item
3:157 [Street scene. Horses and carriages. Streetcars? Caption illegible.]
Item
3:158 [Street scene. Streetcar, carriages (horses not discernible). No caption.]
Item
3:159 Main and Jefferson, 1880.
Item
3:160 View on Commerce Street in 1880.
Item
3:161 Elm (?) Street looking west from Murphy, Dallas, 1874. Duplicate of 294:3:166.
Item
3:162 Elm Street looking east form Lamar Street, 8/8/1919.
Item
3:163 Stray sales and wagon yard looking east on Jackson from Houston Street, circa 1893.
Item
3:164 Main and Ervay Streets, Dallas, 1899.
Item
3:165 Main Street from courthouse, 1893.
Item
3:166 Dallas Street (Elm?) circa 1874. Duplicate of 194:3:161.
Item
3:167 Commerce looking east, undated.
Item
3:168 Old Dallas Street, undated.
Item
3:169 Main Street, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:170 Taken in winter of 1898-99 from point in middle of present 4400 block of San Jacinto, looking toward the intersection of Garrett and Ross.
Item
3:171 Elm Street, north side between Austin and Market Streets, undated.
Item
3:172 Orange Street, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:173 Looking west on Main Street from St. Paul, Taken circa 1890. [Date must be incorrect: cars in view]
Item
3:174 Dallas street scene, 1870s.
Item
3:175 Dallas street views, undated.
Item
3:176 Dallas street views, undated.
Item
3:177 Harwood Street of the past and present. Portraits of Judge W. M. Holland, C. Ludolph, and Judge T. T. Halloway.
Item
3:178 Old gas container (has been wrecked 1934)
Item
3:179 Winter scenes in Dallas, 12/22/1929.
Item
3:180 Between Patterson and Camp Street, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:181 Looking north from Wood Street showing Santa Fe Station, June 1923.
Item
3:182 Looking north from Wood Street showing Santa Fe Station, June 1923. (duplicate of 3:181)
Item
3:183 Southwest corner of Houston and Main streets, Dallas, original Lot 1, Block 1, city of Dallas. Original construction of white rock showing through later coats.
Item
3:184 Commerce Street west of Murphy; Jackson Street; Dallas Post Office on Main Street with Metropolitan Business College in front; Main Street; Main Street below Akard.
Triple Underpass
Item
3:185 Construction of Triple Underpass 10/1/1935.
Item
3:186 Triple Underpass site, 11/27/1934.
Item
3:187 Clearing away buildings for underpass, 10/31/1934.
Item
3:188 Drawing: triple underpass, 11/14/1933.
Item
3:189 Triple underpass, 3/31/1936. (aerial view)
Item
3:190 Main Street looking east being torn down for Triple Underpass, Dallas, 11/15/1934.
Item
3:191 Triple Underpass under construction, 2/18/1935.
Item
3:192 Triple Underpass under construction, 2/22/1935.
Item
3:193 Triple Underpass under construction, 2/7/1936.
Item
3:194 Triple Underpass under construction, 2/18/1935.
Item
3:195 Triple Underpass, Dallas, 5/4/1936.
Item
3:196 Opening of Triple Underpass. Harry Hines speaking to crowd, 5/2/1936.
Item
3:197 Triple Underpass under construction, Dallas, 1934.
Item
3:198 Building being torn down for Triple Underpass, Houston Street, 10/31/1934.
Item
3:199 Triple Underpass under construction, 1934.
Item
3:200 Triple Underpass under construction, 4/10/1935.
Street Construction and Public Works
Item
3:201 Building and underpass at Chalk Hill on Fort Worth Pike, 1929.
Item
3:202 Live Oak Street widening, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:203 Live Oak Street, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:204 Orange Street, undated.
Item
3:205 South from Camp Street before opening of Orange, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:206 Ross Avenue at Garrett Street, taking up streetcar tracks, undated.
Item
3:207 Lamar Street, undated.
Item
3:208 Underpass on North Beckley Avenue under west approach to Commerce Street viaduct, 8/15/1930.
Item
3:209 West end of Commerce Street viaduct showing concrete work for Beckley Avenue underpass and retaining walls for Commerce Street approach, 10/10/1930.
Item
3:210 Corinth Street underpass, 6/30/1932, (under construction).
Item
3:211 Probably initial work on Garza Dam at Lake Dallas circa 1924.
Bridges
Item
3:212 Toll bridge across Trinity River, 1875.
Item
3:213 Looking east from Old Trinity Bridge on Commerce Street, Dallas, circa 1900.
Item
3:214 Commerce Street Viaduct, Dallas, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:215 Streetcar viaduct, Dallas, 12/7/1930.
Item
3:216 Streetcar viaduct, Dallas, 12/6/1930.
Item
3:217 Rustic bridge, Forrest Park, 1912.
Item
3:218 Toll Bridge over the Trinity in 1872, Dallas.
Item
3:219 Commerce Street Viaduct taken from top of west levee, July 1930.
Item
3:220 View from middle of Commerce Street viaduct looking toward business district, 10/18/30.
Item
3:221 Commerce Street viaduct taken from river bottom at point south of Commerce Street, Dallas, July 1930.
Item
3:222 Looking east on Commerce Street viaduct crossing east levee, Dallas, 5/25/31.
Item
3:223 View from center of Commerce Street Viaduct looking toward Dallas, July 1930.
Item
3:224 Commerce Street Viaduct from 600 feet up, Aug. 1930
Item
3:225 North toward underpass for Industrial Blvd., Texas & Pacific Railway, 5/25/31.
Item
3:226 Corinth Street viaduct taken from north end, July 1930.
Item
3:227 Lamar-McKinney viaduct taken from west end, July 1930.
Item
3:228 North from Cadiz viaduct near new river channel, 9/20/1930.
Item
3:229 Old Trinity River Bridge circa 1893.
Item
3:230 Commerce Street Bridge during 1870 flood, Dallas.
Water
Item
3:231 Commerce Street viaduct, Dallas, 10/1/1935.
Item
3:232 The Evangeline Oak, Bayou Teche at St. Martinsville LA, 1/6/1935.
Item
3:233 Exall Lake before Highland Park addition, undated.
Item
3:234 Trinity River Flood Control. 10/1/1936.
Item
3:235 Scene near Dallas, undated (stream with limestone wall).
Item
3:236 New Trinity River channel, 10/20/1930.
Item
3:237 Trinity River bottoms in vicinity of Cadiz and Corinth Street viaducts, Dallas, 1/19/1932.
Item
3:238 Aerial view of Trinity River looking north from Corinth Street viaduct, 5/14/1930.
Item
3:239 Trinity River, Dallas, 1908.
Item
3:240 Trinity River Flood, 1908.
Item
3:241 Jefferson Street, 5/25/1908.
Item
3:242 Houston & Texas Central (Southern Pacific) looking south toward Trinity River Bridge, Dallas, 5/26/1908.
Item
3:243 Santa Fe and Cotton Belt years, etc., Dallas, 5/25/1908.
Item
3:244 North on Rock Island trace from Texas & Pacific crossing, 5/25/1908.
Item
3:245 Trinity River, Dallas, 7/1/1930. Taken at Hampton Roads Bridge.
Item
3:246 Trinity River Reclamation Project as seen from airplane over old Oak Cliff viaduct looking north, Dallas, 5/14/1930.
Item
3:247 Cadiz Street underpass and viaduct, 1/24/1932.
Item
3:248 Aerial view of Trinity River Valley, 1/24/1932.
Item
3:249 Commerce Street and Lamar-McKinney viaduct, 1/24/1932.
Item
3:251 Corinth Street viaduct, 1/24/1932.
Item
3:252 White Rock Lake, Dallas, 10/1/1925.
Item
3:253 Exall Lake in Highland Park, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:254 Looking down Elm Fork from the bridge, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:254.1 Mill Creek before Kessler’s plan, [undated, possibly 1880s?]
Aerials
Item
3:255 Skyline view of Dallas, undated.
Item
3:256 Skyline view, no caption, undated.
Item
3:257 Looking eastward from Courthouse circa 1895.
Item
3:258 Looking south from where courthouse now stands toward what is now (1925) Oak Cliff viaduct at Jefferson Street.
Item
3:259 Main Street, undated.
Item
3:260 View of Dallas from Oriental Hotel, undated.
Item
3:261 Three views: Dallas from Courthouse looking north, 1898; Old Dallas Club, Commerce and Poydras Streets, undated; State Fair structures of 1890s Dallas.
Item
3:262 Dallas during blizzard. Taken from Courthouse tower.
Item
3:263 Looking East on Main Street, undated.
Item
3:264 Taken from Gallery of Old Winsor Hotel, undated.
Item
3:265 W.T. Clark, grocer, undated.
Item
3:266 Commerce and Houston Streets. Dallas, undated.
Item
3:267 Downtown Dallas, 1910-1920.
Item
3:268 Southwest from top of Courthouse, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:269 Market and Elm Streets, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:270 Looking west on Commerce from Lamar, 1901.
Item
3:271 View of Dallas from the courthouse looking north, 1900.
Item
3:272 Looking northeast from Courthouse, Dallas, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:273 Looking northeast from Courthouse circa 1910.
Item
3:274 Taken from top of Courthouse looking southeast, Dallas, 1898.
Item
3:275 Main Street taken from top of Courthouse looking east, Fall 1898.
Item
3:276 Downtown Dallas, undated (skyline view with buildings labeled).
Item
3:277 Dallas Skyline, 1925.
Item
3:278 Commerce Street, Dallas, June 1922. (view from Courthouse).
Item
3:279 Looking east from Main and Poydras, 1925.
Item
3:280 Main Street, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:281 Southwestern Bell Telephone Building, Dallas, 11/9/1931.
Item
3:282 Main Street, Dallas, 1932.
Item
3:283 Main Street at Ervay looking south, circa 1900.
Item
3:284 Main Street, 1918.
Item
3:285 Looking Southeast from Courthouse, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:286 Looking North from atop Courthouse, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:287 Old County Jail on present (1925) site of Union Terminal Station. Shows Arbuckle’s Elevator. Both on Houston. Dallas, circa 1880.
Item
3:288 Commerce Street Viaduct, 1st bridge. View SW from Courthouse, Dallas, 1873.
Item
3:289 Adolphus Hotel, Commerce and Akard Streets, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:290 Main Street east from top of Courthouse. Also shows Bywaters Store, formerly site of old Callas Opera House on Commerce and Austin, Aug. 1925.
Item
3:291 Old Oriental Hotel in the background from Wood Street. 1885.
Item
3:292 Business section of Dallas, 1922. Katy Building on right instead of old Windsor Hotel.
Item
3:293 Old Dallas Opera House on southwest corner of Commerce and Austin Streets, Dallas, 1892.
Item
3:294 Dallas skyline, 1910.
Item
3:295 Dallas skyline from Courthouse, 1899-1900.
Item
3:296 View of Dallas looking east from roof of Courthouse, 1873.
Item
3:297 Viaduct from the Courthouse, 1912.
Item
3:298 Old Dallas Herald, taken from Courthouse, looking northeast, shows lower end of Elm Street, 1874.
Item
3:299 Corner of Main and Houston Streets, Houston at side of Crutchfield House.
Item
3:300 Dallas at night, undated.
Item
3:301 Elm Street at night, Dallas.
Item
3:302 Mayer, Lipshitz Scrap Iron and Metal Yard, undated.
Item
3:303 Commerce Street looking west from Lamar Street, 1906.
Item
3:304 Looking west on Main Street from Praetorian Building, Dallas, 1909.
Item
3:305 Dallas, 1915.
Item
3:306 Live Oak Street from top of Praetorian Building, 1909.
Item
3:307 North from top of Praetorian Building, 1909.
Item
3:308 Jackson and Houston Streets, Dallas, 9/30/1934.
Item
3:309 View of Pacific Avenue where Orange Street was opened southward to connect with Field Street, undated.
Item
3:310 Drawing: Continental Gin Co., Dallas, 1908.
Item
3:311 Drawing: Continental Gin Co., Dallas, 1908.
Item
3:312 Drawing: Murray Co. Gin Machinery, Dallas, 1908.
Item
3:313 Drawing: Murray Co. Gin Machinery, Dallas, 1908.
Item
3:314 View of Main Street 25 years ago taken from Courthouse, Dallas, circa 1915?
Item
3:315 Birdseye view of Dallas, undated.
Item
3:316 Birdseye view of Dallas, undated.
Item
3:317 Commerce Street, undated.
Item
3:318 Aerial view of Dallas, undated.
Item
3:319 Main looking west from Poydras Street circa 1906.
Item
3:320 Jefferies & Terry Furniture, undated.
Item
3:321 Highland Park West, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:322 Main & Commerce Streets, looking from Houston Street, 1887.
Item
3:323 Trinity River view, Dallas, 1923.
Item
3:324 Trinity River view, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:325 Trinity River view, Dallas, Oct. 1923.
Item
3:326 Trinity River view, Oct 1923.
Item
3:327 Trinity River view, Oct. 1923.
Item
3:328 Birdseye view of Dallas north of Union Terminal, Sept. 1925.
Item
3:329 Airplane view of El Tivoli Country Club, 12/28/1931.
Item
3:330 Aerial view of Dallas, 6/30/1931.
Item
3:331 Aerial view of Lake Cliff and Oak Cliff, 9/24/1930.
Item
3:332 Aerial view of Greenville Avenue, Dallas, 12/18/1930.
Item
3:333 Aerial View of Ford Plant, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:334 Dallas, airplane view, 1914.
Item
3:335 Braesius drawing: Birdseye view of Dallas 1872 with Texas & Pacific drawn in before 1873 construction.
Item
3:336 Braesius drawing: Birdseye view of Dallas 1872 with Texas & Pacific drawn in before 1873 construction.
Item
3:337 North Lathrop a few miles west of Longview, 10/1/1935.
Item
3:338 Looking east from Praetorian Building, 1909.
Item
3:339 Looking southeast from Praetorian Building, 1909.
Item
3:340 Air view of Dallas, 1923. (Looking north from Union Terminal).
Item
3:341 Commerce and Houston viaduct, 12/26/1934, (aerial view).
Item
3:342 Trinity River Levee District, 9/24/1931.
Item
3:343 Commerce Street Viaduct, Dallas, 9/24/1931.
Item
3:344 Dallas skyline, undated.
Item
3:345 Airplane view of Dallas, undated.
Item
3:346 Airplane view of Dallas, undated.
Item
3:347 Airplane view of Dallas, undated.
Item
3:348 Airplane view of Dallas, undated.
Item
3:349 Air view of Dallas, 12/17/1929. (looking northeast).
Item
3:350 Aerial view of Dallas, 11/2/1931.
Item
3:351 Air view of Dallas, undated (looking southwest).
Item
3:352 Aerial view of Dallas, 4/28/1931. (looking northeast)
Item
3:353 Airplane view of Dallas by Fairchild Aerial Camera Corp, undated.
Grounds
Item
3:354 SMU from air, 10/1/1935.
Item
3:355 SMU Campus, Dallas, 2/23/1925.
Item
3:356 Summer pavilion built at end of South Crawford Street, Oak Cliff, by T.L. Marsalis, circa 1890.
Item
3:357 Sydney Smith Memorial Fountain in new setting, 1936.
Item
3:358 Confederate Monument unveiling, undated.
Item
3:359 Confederate Monument after unveiling, undated.
Item
3:360 Confederate Monument before unveiling, 1902.
Item
3:361 Confederate Monument, Dallas, 4/24/1918.
Item
3:362 Fairgrounds camp of Union of Confederate Veterans, Dallas, 1902.
Item
3:363 Camp Cabell, southeast corner of Elm and Carroll, Oct. 1989.
Item
3:364 Camp Cabell, Elm and Carroll, 1989.
Item
3:365 Camp Cabell, Dallas, 1989. Elm Street and Carroll, Avenue.
Item
3:366 Judge Good’s grove near Good Street, undated.
Item
3:367 Historical Burial Grounds of early Texas. Western Oak Cliff, 9/19/1934.
Item
3:368 Burial Ground near Board of Education Building. 10/1/1925.
Item
3:369 Forrest Park, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:370 View in City Park, undated.
Item
3:371 Dallas Public Parks, 1908.
Item
3:372 Dallas Public Parks, (views), 1908.
Item
3:373 Reverchon Park, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:374 Clockwise from left: Brook Hollow Golf Club, Turtle Creek Blvd. scene, Kessler Park scene. All pictures on cards, no dates identified.
Item
3:375 Mayer’s Garden, undated.
Item
3:376 Mayer’s Summer Garden on Elm and Stone, 1885.
Item
3:377 Beautiful gardens of Dallas, undated.
Item
3:378 Oldest forty-acre orchard in the Valley, owner John H. Shary, 2/11/1931.
Item
3:379 Famous landmark of Highland Park West is a large pecan tree at entrance of Armstrong Drive, undated.
Item
3:380 “Million Dollar Tree” Highland Park West, Dallas, before Armstrong Parkway was paved.
Rural
Item
3:381 Old Jail and Arbuckle’s Mill from River Bottoms, undated.
Item
3:382 View east from Trinity Valley area now occupied by Union Terminal, 1898.
Item
3:383 Dallas from the Viaduct, 1911.
Item
3:384 Site of Butler Brothers Building, Young and Ervay, 1910.
Item
3:385 Scene of river bottom taken from Commerce Street, Dallas, 8/15/1930.
Item
3:386 Looking east on Commerce Street from east end of Commerce Street viaduct, 9/15/1930.
Item
3:387 Scene in river bottom north of old Commerce Street viaduct, 8/25/1930.
Item
3:388 Trinity Bottoms, Dallas, undated.
Item
3:389 Looking toward powerhouse of Union Terminal from east end of Commerce Street viaduct, Dallas, 9/15/1930.
Item
3:390 Looking toward Dallas Union Terminal Power plant and old Houston Street viaduct, Dallas, 5/25/1931.
Item
3:391 East end of Commerce Street viaduct looking toward Union Depot, 10/18/1931.
Item
3:392 View from east end of new Commerce Street viaduct looking toward town, 10/1/1930.
Item
3:393 Drawing: west toward Dallas, 8/1/1931.
Item
3:394 Looking toward Commerce Street viaduct at Crossing of east levee from Dallas Union Terminal Co., 5/25/1931.
Item
3:395 Commerce Street viaduct from west levee looking east toward town, 10/18/1930.
Item
3:396 South side of new Commerce Street viaduct as seen from west levee looking toward courthouse, 10/15/1930..
Item
3:397 View from east end of Lamar-McKinney viaduct looking toward Courthouse, 10/10/1930.
Item
3:398 Dallas from Viaduct, 193? [date illegible]
Item
3:399 West Dallas Cement Works, undated.
Item
3:400 Taken in winter of 1898-1899 from point in middle of present 4400 block of San Jacinto Street, between burley and Carroll Avenue.
Item
3:401 West toward Bilbig Brothers Gravel and Rock Crushing Plant from point on old Commerce Street Viaduct, 5/25/1931.
Item
3:402 View looking north along east levee from east end of Lamar-McKinney viaduct, 10/18/1930.
Item
3:403 Texas Longhorn Herd, Texas Centennial, 10/1/1935.
Non-Dallas
Item
3:404 Power House Foundation after first washout. Austin Flood, 8/1/1894.
Item
3:405 Austin power house flood-out, 1894.
Item
3:406 Austin Dam before break 4 ft. water, 8/7/1894.
Item
3:407 West end of dam, showing --? Gates open, Austin, TX, before flood.
Item
3:408 Drawing: Stratification, Edward’s limestone near Austin, 1890.
Item
3:409 Stratification, limestone at Forth Worth, 1890.
Item
3:410 Buildings in Sherman, Texas, undated.
Item
3:411 Inundation de Monterrey, Mexico, 8/2/1909.



 

Series 4:
Disasters, 1884-1932

This series is divided into the following subsections: fire, flood, and railroad derailments.
Fire
Item
4:1 Story of Dallas’ most disastrous fire, 10/7/1884. (photo of newspaper article).
Item
4:2 Old Majestic Theater fire, Dallas, undated.
Item
4:3 Building on fire, taken at night, undated illegible caption.
Item
4:4 Oil fire, undated.
Flood
Item
4:5 Local relief committee during flood, 5/25/1908.
Item
4:6 Crowd of men witness the rescue from Trinity River flood, Dallas, 1/18/1932.
Item
4:7 Airplane view of Trinity River flood, 1/27/1932.
Item
4:8 Trinity River Flood scenes, undated.
Item
4:9 Trinity River Flood, Dallas, 1908.
Item
4:10 Trinity River Flood, Dallas, 1908.
Item
4:11 Trinity River Flood, Dallas, 1908.
Item
4:12 Trinity River Flood, 5/25/1908.
Item
4:13 Trinity River Flood, undated.
Item
4:14 Scene of Trinity River Flood, Dallas 5/15/1930.
Item
4:15 Trinity River Flood in 1908, looking southeast from Austin near Young Street.
Item
4:16 Trinity River flood, Dallas, before levees were fixed, undated.
Item
4:17 Trinity River Flood, Dallas, 1908.
Item
4:18 Cadiz Street Viaduct flood, Dallas, 1/18/1932.
Item
4:19 Trinity River Flood, 1908.
Item
4:20 Trinity River Flood, 1908.
Railroad Derailments
Item
4:21 Corpus Christi, undated (railroad derailments).
Item
4:22 Railroad derailments, Corpus Christi, undated.



 

Series 5:
Events, 1875-1934

This series is divided into the following subsections: ceremonies, parades, military, and French aviator’s visit.
Ceremonies
Item
5:1 Ground-breaking ceremonies of the Texas Baptist Memorial Sanitarium, Dallas, 30-year old photo, 12/4/1934.
Item
5:2 Groundbreaking for Methodist Hospital, undated.
Item
5:3 Harry Seay moving tracks on Pacific Avenue, circa 1923
Item
5:4 The Dorseay Co., 50th anniversary celebration, 1934.
Item
5:5 Woodmen of the World Convention, 1895.
Item
5:6 Formal opening of the Old Turtle Creek Pump house, 1890.
Item
5:7 Corsicana Oil Boom in Corsicana, undated.
Item
5:8 American Advertising Club of World group at Union Terminal, 1912.
Item
5:9 Last Confederate, Reunion in Dallas circa 1927.
Item
5:10 Laying first brick, Congress Avenue, Austin, TX, 1/2/1905.
Parades
Item
5:11 Parade on opening of --? [illegible]
Item
5:12 Parade, undated.
Item
5:13 Carpenters parading, undated (banner shows 198-).
Item
5:14 [Caption illegible. Photo of backs of men watching something]
Item
5:15 Commerce Street in front of Dallas News Building, undated.
Item
5:16 Parade on Elm Street, undated.
Item
5:17 Charles Padgett, Confederate Day Dallas, 1902.
Item
5:18 Confederate Day Parade, 1902.
Item
5:19 General Gordon, Confederate Day, Dallas, 1902.
Item
5:20 Union of Confederate Veterans Parade, 1902.
Item
5:21 Confederate Day Parade, 1902.
Item
5:22 Union of Confederate Veterans Parade, 1902.
Item
5:23 Union of Confederate Veterans Parade, Dallas, May 1902.
Item
5:24 Looking west from Murphy Street, Dallas, 1895.
Item
5:25 Knights Templar en route to Central Presbyterian Church, northwest corner of Harwood & Commerce, Dallas, 1900.
Item
5:26 [Caption illegible. Parade.]
Item
5:27 Armistice Day Parade, Main Street, 11/11/1931.
Item
5:28 Armistice Day Parade, Elm Street, Dallas, undated.
Item
5:28.1 Armistice Day Parade, Elm Street, Dallas, undated. [5:28 retouched]
Item
5:29 Armistice Day Parade, Elm Street, undated.
Item
5:30 Armistice Day Parade, undated.
Item
5:31 Armistice Day Parade, Main Street, Dallas, undated.
Military
Item
5:32 Crowd that met 2nd Battalion of the 2nd Texas USVI on return from the Spanish-American War, Oct. 1898.
Item
5:33 2nd Texas USVI on return from Spanish-American War. Haskell, Perry, & Forney Avenue, Oct. 1898.
Item
5:34 Members of the Lamar Rifles, crack Dallas guard unit, 2/22/1875 when Jefferson Davis visited Dallas.
French Aviator’s Visit
Item
5:35 Crowd at Love Field, Dallas, to see Coste and Bellmente, undated.
Item
5:36 Crowd at Love Field to see Coste and Bellmente, French fliers, 9/5/1930.
Item
5:37 Crowds to see Coste and Bellmente, French fliers at Love field, Dallas, 9/5/1930.



 

Series 6:
Fair Park, 1890-1935

This series is devoted to a 277-acre site in East Dallas that hosts the State Fair of Texas. Fair Park houses one of the greatest concentrations of early twentieth-century Art Deco exposition buildings in the United States.
Item
6:1 Parade, opening of State Fair of Texas, 1893.
Item
6:2 Texas State Fair portrait ticket, 1899.
Item
6:3 Texas State Fair, 1903. (Two photos)
Item
6:4 State Fair Entrance. 10/12/1929.
Item
6:5 Main entrance to fair Grounds, undated.
Item
6:6 Art Building, State Fair Grounds, at night, undated.
Item
6:7 Near old Fair Grounds on Cole Avenue, undated.
Item
6:8 Airplane view of Fair Park, 1926.
Item
6:9 Birds-eye view of Texas State Fair and Dallas Exposition, which opened 9/28/1899 and closed 10/22/1899.
Item
6:10 Exposition building, State Fair, Dallas, 1901.
Item
6:11 Auditorium and Exposition Building, 1905.
Item
6:12 First exposition building at State Fair, 1886; buildings, Dallas, 10/8/1933.
Item
6:13 Old Exposition Building at Fair Grounds. Entrance to Old Exposition Hall burned 1900, undated.
Item
6:14 Plaza and Exposition Hall, State Fair Grounds, undated.
Item
6:15 The Old Exhibit Building that replaced the old Exposition Building and Music Hall that burned in 1900, Dallas, 1925.
Item
6:16 Old Exposition and Music Hall, State Fair, 1898.
Item
6:18 Old Exposition Building, State Fair Grounds, Dallas, 1890.
Item
6:19 Old Coliseum which was remodeled and used for agricultural exhibit bldg., undated.
Item
6:20 Coliseum, Fair Park, Dallas, undated.
Item
6:21 Fair Park Auditorium, undated.
Item
6:22 Stock Building, Fair Park, Dallas, 1911.
Item
6:23 The Old Agricultural Building, State Fair Grounds, undated.
Item
6:24 Dallas Fair park Automobile Building, undated.
Item
6:25 Automobile and Manufacturer’s Building at State fair of Texas. Dallas, 3/10/1929.
Item
6:26 Art building, State Fair Grounds, undated.
Item
6:27 Restaurant Building at Fair Grounds, undated.
Item
6:28 Texas State Fair Grounds, Dallas, undated.
Item
6:29 Gardens at Texas State Fairgrounds, undated.
Item
6:30 Dallas State Fair Sunken Garden looking toward entrance, 1915.
Item
6:31 Sunken Gardens at Fair Grounds, 10/12/1911.
Item
6:32 Fair Park Sunken Garden and end of old Machinery Building. Now site of Automobile Building, 8/2/1915.
Item
6:33 State Fair Grounds, undated.
Item
6:34 Fair Park Auditorium, undated.
Item
6:35 State Fair of Texas 30 yrs. ago, in front of old racetrack grandstand, undated.
Item
6:36 State Fair grounds, no caption, undated.
Item
6:37 Crowds at State Fair, undated.
Item
6:38 Texas State Fair, Dallas, 9/26/1903 – 10/11/1903.
Item
6:39 Fair Park, Dallas, undated.
Item
6:40 Fair Park, undated.
Item
6:41 Dallas’ first Fair, 1890.
Item
6:42 Dallas State Fair, 1898.
Item
6:43 State Fair, 1900.
Item
6:44 Fair Park, Dallas, undated.
Item
6:45 Fair Park 40-year-old tree moved, 10/1/1935.
Item
6:46 Fair Park Grand Stand, Dallas, 1903.
Item
6:47 Racing at Fair Park, undated.
Item
6:48 Trotting horse race entry, 1906.
Item
6:49 Racetrack at State Fair of Texas, undated.
Item
6:50 Fair Park chutes, 1912.
Item
6:51 Dallas State Fair Scenic Railway, undated.
Item
6:52 Crowd bound for Fairgrounds, 1892.
Item
6:53 Dallas State Fair, undated.



 

Series 7:
Government, 1910-1928

This series is divided into the following subsections: fire department, levee project, and library.
Fire Department
Item
7:1 First Dallas Fire Department Car, undated.
Item
7:2 Dallas Fire Department equipment in 1915.
Item
7:3 A Famous Dallas Fire Team, 1910.
Item
7:4 Dallas Fire Department, undated.
Levee Project
Item
7:5 First shovelful of earth removed in reclamation work of Trinity Valley, 7/24/1928.
Item
7:6 Work starting on Levee Proposition, 7/24/1928.
Item
7:7 Work starting on Levee Proposition, 7/24/1928.
Item
7:8 Work starting on Levee Proposition, 7/24/1928.
Item
7:9 Workers on the Levee Proposition, 7/24/1928.
Item
7:10 Actual work starting on the Levee Proposition, 7/24/1928.
Item
7:11 Actual work starting on the Levee Proposition, 7/24/1928.
Item
7:12 Actual work starting on the Levee Proposition, 7/24/1928.
Item
7:13 Trinity River Levee Project, undated.
Item
7:14 Trinity River Levee Project, undated.
Item
7:15 Trinity River Levee Project, undated.
Item
7:16 Trinity River Levee Project, undated.
Library
Item
7:17 Our first library, undated (interior shot)



 

Series 8:
Interiors, 1876-1935

This series contains photographs of various building interiors throughout Dallas.
Item
8:1 Fireplace, 1902.
Item
8:2 Maxine Guillot, pioneer Dallas wagon maker daughter May in 1876 in their home at Elm and Jefferson.
Item
8:3 Waggoner cabin hearth, Holland museum, Weatherford.
Item
8:4 Dallas Club, Poydras and Commerce. [mislabeled)]
Item
8:5 Dallas Club, interior club. Poydras & Commerce, Dallas, 2/4/1928.
Item
8:6 Simon --? Garden on Live Oak, undated.
Item
8:7 Unidentified room interior, filled with stuffed birds and deer heads.
Item
8:8 Interior view of the hall where Democratic State Convention of 1906 was held, Dallas.
Item
8:9 Interior of amphitheater, undated.
Item
8:10 Interior Sacred Heart Cathedral, undated.
Item
8:11 Republic National Bank (?) interior.
Item
8:12 Apperson’s New Idea Saloon, Dallas, 9/16/1934. (photo of ceiling)
Item
8:13 Interior view of Telephone Company, Dallas, 12/1/1930.
Item
8:14 Telephone exchange when automatic telephones were in use, undated.
Item
8:15 Dallas Symphony Orchestra, 10/1/1935.
Item
8:16 Group of relics in Alexandria-Washington lodge, undated.



 

Series 9:
Portraits, 1874-1936

This series is divided into individual and group portraits. Southern Methodist University is abbreviated as SMU in this series.
Individual
Item
9:1 Chief J. C. Arnold, Chief of Police of Dallas, 1881.
Item
9:2 C. E. Baker and rotary drill used in 1880s Dallas, undated.
Item
9:3 Col. Alfred H. Belo, President of Dallas Morning News, 1885-1901.
Item
9:4 Portrait: Alfred Belo, undated.
Item
9:5 Portrait: Alfred Belo, Jr., undated.
Item
9:6 The Rt. Rev. Thomas F. Brennan, D. D., First Bishop, Dallas, 10/1/1935.
Item
9:7 Portrait: J. W. Chenoweth, undated.
Item
9:8 George Mifflin Dallas, man for whom Dallas named, 10/1/1935.
Item
9:9 Thomas W. Dealey, Secretary and Treasurer of Dallas News at time of his death in 1906.
Item
9:10 Portrait of M. Deane, undated.
Item
9:11 Portrait: William Doran, undated.
Item
9:12 Portrait: Bishop Alexander C. Garrett, Dallas, 10/1/1935.
Item
9:13 Portrait: Charles B. Gillespie, first Finance Commissioner, undated.
Item
9:14 John J. Hand, Dallas News executive of the “Big Six” group of 1870-1900 period.
Item
9:15 S. J. Hay, first city commission mayor, undated.
Item
9:16 Portrait: Karl Hoblitzelle, 1905.
Item
9:17 Portrait: Will Hogg.
Item
9:18 D. C. Jenkins, Dallas News Executive of the “Big Six” group of the 1870-1900 period.
Item
9:19 W. A. Philpot, Jr., Sec’y Texas Bankers Association, 5/15/1934.
Item
9:20 Harry L. Seay, first police & fire commissioner, undated.
Item
9:21 Colonel William Greene Sterrett. Died 10/7/1924.
Item
9:22 Portrait: George W. Truett, First Baptist Church, 10/1/1935.
Item
9:23 Portrait of unidentified man, undated.
Item
9:24 Portrait of unidentified man, undated.
Item
9:25 Taken from photo in Mr. Lubben’s office, undated.
Item
9:26 John Neely Bryan, son of founder of Dallas; and John M. Spellman, Dallas, Sept. 1925.
Item
9:27 William Jennings Bryan, Dallas, 5/24/1916.
Item
9:28 Sgt. M. S. Greer and horse Choctau; Davis, Oklahoma, undated.
Item
9:29 Tom Monagan, Capt. of Dallas Wheel club, taken about 1887.
Item
9:30 Portrait: The Very Rev. Silas Dean Davenport, first Dean of St. Matthews Cathedral, Dallas, 1868-1877.
Item
9:31 Sam P. Cochran, J. T. Trezevant, J. H. McDonough (portraits from books, undated)
Item
9:32 A. V. Lane, C. A. Keating, L. S. Thorne (portraits from book, undated)
Item
9:33 S. I. Munger, Curtis P. Smith, E. S. Lauderdate (portraits from book, undated)
Item
9:34 [Possibly] E. Jones, C. L. Wakefield, E. P. Turner (portraits from book, undated)
Item
9:35 R. E. Burke, W. H. Wray, S. T. Morgan (portraits from book, undated)
Item
9:36 Charles E. Clint, Kenneth Foree, Fred J. Baker (portraits from book, undated)
Item
9:37 Portraits: William H. McGrath, R. E. L. Saner.
Item
9:38 Portraits of men, identity unknown.
Group
Item
9:39 Captain D. Coste and Captain M. Bellmente, French flyers, at Dallas, 9/5/1930.
Item
9:40 Dallas Commercial Club, 1899. (with individuals identified)
Item
9:41 First Dallas High School class at Old Bryan High 50 years ago. (Picture taken 1936, with individuals identified.)
Item
9:42 Dallas Board of Education, 1906-08.
Item
9:43 Members of Citizen’s Association, Dallas, 1907.
Item
9:44 Earliest incarnation of Dallas Symphony Orchestra, with soloists, choristers, and Mr. Kressig in view, undated.
Item
9:45 Early day Dallas symphony orchestra, undated.
Item
9:46 Old-time newspaper folks in Texas, 1885.
Item
9:47 Dallas Typographical Union, 1910.
Item
9:48 Group picture, no caption, undated.
Item
9:49 State convention of Motion Picture Exhibitors League of America, Dallas. May 28 and 29, 1913.
Item
9:50 State convention of Motion Picture Exhibitors League of America, May 28 and 29, 1913.
Item
9:51 State convention of Motion Picture Exhibitors League of America, May 28 and 29, 1913.
Item
9:52 State convention of Motion Picture Exhibitors League of America, May 28 and 29, 1913.
Item
9:53 State convention of Motion Picture Exhibitors League of America, May 28 and 29, 1913.
Item
9:54 State convention of Motion Picture Exhibitors League of America, May 28 and 29, 1913.
Item
9:55 Man with buggy, two children [identification illegible]
Item
9:56 Methodist Commission which located SMU at Dallas, 2/1/1911.
Item
9:57 Methodist Commission which located SMU at Dallas, 2/1/1911.
Item
9:58 Dallas Civic leaders, 1910.
Item
9:59 Captain Jack Harp, Command of 1844 Texas Rangers, 10/1/1935.
Item
9:60 President Wm. Howard Taft in Dallas, Oct. 1909. L. O. Daniel with him in car. Behind driver is Major Archie Butt.
Item
9:61 President Wm. Howard Taft in Dallas, Oct. 1909. [Duplicate of 9:60]
Item
9:62 Visit of Merchants Association and Chamber of Commerce of New York, San Antonio, TX, May 1901.
Item
9:63 Stone cutters, U. S. Courthouse and Post Office Building, Dallas, March 1893.
Item
9:64 In front of F. L. Irvine & Co., Main St.,1888.
Item
9:65 Merchant and Manning Typewriters and Supply on Main St., 1892.
Item
9:66 City Councilman, Dallas, 4/9/1931.
Item
9:67 Sept. 1925. John Neely Bryan, son of John Neely Bryan; and John M. Spellman, grandson of J. M. Patterson, standing on site of first house built in Dallas. Sept. 1925.
Item
9:68 W. J. Bryan, Dallas, 5/24/1919 (?-1916)
Item
9:69 L to R: Dean Sanborn, George McBlair, Dr. C. M. Rosser, William Jennings Bryan, Otto Lang, M. W. Florer, Dallas, 5/4/1923. [date of newspaper story, not necessarily of picture]
Item
9:70 Jim Murphy, Sam Bass, and Bebe Barnes, San Antonio, 1874. (photo from book).
Item
9:71 Old Cumberland School, 1888 or 1889.
Item
9:72 Scottish Rite Class of Dallas, 1904.
Item
9:73 State Fair Officials, 1909: (l to r), Ben E. Cabbel, E. J. Kiest, M. M. Phinney and Capt. Sydney Smith. Seated: James Moroney, Dallas.
Item
9:74 “Daddy” Wisdom and Herbert Stallmacher. Others unidentified, undated.
Item
9:75 Turtle Creek Pump House, undated.
Item
9:76 Plaque being unveiled; first train arrival in Dallas, 1936.
Item
9:77 Who’s Who of Texas Oil. 1898.
Item
9:78 Heroes who helped defeat of Prussianism. General Pershing in front, undated.
Item
9:79 Dallas boosters at Amarillo, Chamber of Commerce, undated.
Item
9:80 People attending lunch at Top O’ The Hill Terrace #2 celebrating the start of reclamation work of Trinity Valley, 7/24/1928.
Item
9:81 Taken the day the first shovelful of earth was removed in the reclamation work of the Trinity Valley. 7/24/1928.
Item
9:82 One of the last gatherings of the veterans of Battle of San Jacinto. Copy of photo taken in Goliad circa 1886.
Item
9:83 Charles A. Mangold (sitting), others unidentified. Dallas, undated.
Item
9:84 Skillern’s first store, undated.
Item
9:85 Cartoonists, Galveston, 1911.
Item
9:86 Captain John R. Hughes, Texas Rangers, with Mexican prisoner, 1897.
Item
9:87 Captain John R. Hughes, Texas Rangers, with Mexican prisoner, 1897.
Item
9:88 Texas Rangers, 1892.
Item
9:89 Royal and Spence Drug Store in Forney, 1888.
Item
9:90 Mr. G. B. Dealey in middle, R. H. Steward and Charles Platter; others unidentified, undated.
Item
9:91 Turtle Creek Pumping Station, 1890.
Item
9:92 Republic National Bank, group of unidentified men.
Item
9:93 Dallas baseball team of 1888, the Hams.
Item
9:94 Dallas High School in 1906. (taken from book)
Item
9:95 Independent North Dallas Football Team, Dallas, 1901. (Names of players listed).
Item
9:96 Dallas Lightweights Football team in 1901. (names included)
Item
9:97 Men in guard uniforms outside building (no caption).
Item
9:98 Metropolitan Guard, Dallas, 1902.



 

Series 10:
Transportation, 1850s-1938

This series is divided into the following subsections: air, automobile, bicycle, covered wagon, horse and horse-drawn, rail, and water.
Air
Item
10:1 Orville Wright and plane in Ft. Myer, Va., 12/17/1903.
Item
10:2 Coste and Bellmente, famous French flyers, landing at Dallas, 9/5/1930.
Item
10:3 Bill Erwin and “Dallas Spirit”, (airplane) in Dallas, 1927.
Item
10:4 Bill Erwin and wife in “Dallas Spirit”, 1927.
Item
10:5 The Spirit of St. Louis being fueled at Love Field, Dallas, 1/8/1935.
Item
10:6 Spirit of St. Louis when Lindbergh was in Dallas, undated.
Item
10:7 Pan American Clipper, U. S. 4/16/1935.
Item
10:8 Drawing: Fourteen passenger bi-motored Douglas transport of American Airlines, Dallas, 10/1/1935.
Item
10:9 Drawing: Bowen Plane, Dallas, 10/1/1935.
Item
10:10 Braniff Airways, Dallas, 10/1/1935.
Automobile
Item
10:11 Mrs. L. J. Higginbotham and daughter Rosebud seated in 1909 two-cylinder Maxwell, 1910.
Item
10:12 Industrial Blvd. 10/1/1935.
Item
10:13 Dallas Light Company fleet 30 years ago, 10/1/1935.
Item
10:14 S. W. T. Lanham C. A. Keating, John G. Hunter, Ewell Boren, driver, in front of Linz Building, 1903.
Bicycle
Item
10:15 Caption illegible. Bicycles and horses on city street.
Covered Wagon
Item
10:16 Emigrant wagon, undated.
Horse and Horse-Drawn
Item
10:17 No caption. (Men on horseback with one empty horse.
Item
10:18 Oakland Cemetery and Funeral carriages, 12/30/1920.
Item
10:19 View of circus parade with elephant, floats, undated
Item
10:20 Horse and cart, site of S. H. Kress & Co., 1888.
Item
10:21 Ervay streetcar drawn by mule, undated.
Item
10:22 Mule-drawn streetcar, started c. Sept. 1872, (no date on photo)
Item
10:23 Pacific Avenue showing Texas & Pacific Building, 1881.
Rail
Item
10:24 Myrtle Street, Dallas, undated.
Item
10:25 Dallas News Special Train (Dallas to Denison) Mr. Dealey on steps of first car, undated.
Item
10:26 Southwest corner Commerce and Lamar, when Cotton Belt trains ran to Cotton Belt Depot, 1888.
Item
10:27 Dallas News Special Train, 10/1/1935.
Item
10:28 Burlington Zephyr and other modern trains.
Item
10:29 Marilla Street looking toward Young, undated.
Item
10:30 Houston & Texas Central Engine Sabine 1879.
Item
10:31 Tracks being laid into Industrial section of levee area, 6/24/1930.
Item
10:32 Rock Island Railroad tracks being laid into Industrial section of levee area, Dallas, 6/20/1930.
Item
10:33 Breaking ground on Dallas-Terrell Interurban, Schuyler Marshall Farm near Mesquite.
Item
10:34 Pacific Avenue, Dallas, 10/1/1935. (Cartoon by Knott)
Item
10:35 First Texas and Pacific Railroad bridge across the Trinity River, 1874.
Item
10:36 World War photo, undated.
Item
10:37 Texas and Pacific, undated. (Engine #904 and #20)
Item
10:38 Cotton Belt yards from Young Street, 5/25/1908.
Item
10:39 Railroad engine in bunting, 1894.
Item
10:40 Streetcar viaduct to Oak Cliff, undated.
Item
10:41 Part of the Street Car viaduct made from top of east levee just south of the tracks, July 1930.
Item
10:42 Cars passing over street railway viaducts. 10/1/1935.
Item
10:43 Dallas Streetcar, undated.
Item
10:44 Dallas Streetcar on Bishop Avenue, 1901.
Item
10:45 Dallas Streetcar on Bishop Avenue, 1901.
Item
10:46 Streetcar viaduct under construction, Dallas, 11/16/1930.
Item
10:47 St. Paul, south from Pacific before Dallas Athletic Club was built, Dallas, undated.
Item
10:48 Streetcar viaduct opened with all officials present, 2/1/1931.
Item
10:49 Garza welcomes Dallas-Denton Interurban, undated.
Item
10:50 Farmers Branch shows appreciation of Interurban Line, undated.
Item
10:51 Cars for Denton Interurban, undated.
Item
10:52 Dallas – Fort Worth Bus line and Interurban. Interurban discontinued Dec. 1934.
Item
10:53 3 mi. of Interurban tracks ran through district of what is now Munger Place, 1906.
Item
10:54 Sherman Interurban, undated.
Water
Item
10:55 Exall Lake, 1899.
Item
10:56 Trinity Queen (outboard motorboat) Piloted from Fort Worth to Galveston Bay, down the Trinity River, 5/20/1938.
Item
10:57 Texas street boat on Trinity River, July 1933.
Item
10:58 Celebration of Trinity River navigation, Dallas, 5/24/1893.
Item
10:59 H. A. Harvey Jr. Trinity River, Dallas, undated.
Item
10:60 H. A. Harvey, Trinity River, Dallas, 1893.
Item
10:61 H. A. Harvey Jr. boat, Trinity River, Dallas, May 1893.
Item
10:62 H. A. Harvey Jr. boat, Trinity River, 2/2/1930.
Item
10:63 H. A. Harvey Jr. and Snag Boat Dallas landed in Dallas to mark the 1st reopening of navigation of the Trinity from Galveston to Dallas on 5/24/1893.
Item
10:64 Steamboat Annie P, Trinity River, undated.
Item
10:65 Trinity River boat, Dallas, undated.
Item
10:66 Snagboat “Trinity River”, Dallas, undated.
Item
10:67 SnagBoat Dallas of Dallas, undated.
Item
10:68 Snag boat Dallas, Trinity River, 1930.
Item
10:69 Larimore Houseboat, undated.
Item
10:71 Drawing: Welshman Steamer on Trinity River, Dallas, in 1850s.
Item
10:72 Two boats on a river (no identification).
Item
10:73 The Texas Steer, Bewley’s Mills Boat, 9/6/1933.



 

Series 11:
Miscellaneous, 1888-1935

This series contains images that were not housed in the previous series.
Item
11:1 Rotary drill designed and built by M. C. and C. E. Baker, 10/1/1935.
Item
11:2 G. A. Holland demonstrating use of Indian bludgeon, undated.
Item
11:3 G. A. Holland demonstrating loom.
Item
11:4 G. A. Holland demonstrating use of spinning wheel.
Item
11:5 Artifacts of Holland museum, undated.
Item
11:6 1935 [Caption illegible. Man with bell]
Item
11:7 Dallas City directories, 1893 and 1929.
Item
11:8 Dallas and environs in 1888.
Item
11:9 Insurance map of Dallas, 1876. (Taken from Dallas Morning News 2/25/1923)