Frank O. Martin Papers
Manuscript Collection: MC200
Frank Olney Martin was born in 1896, and grew up in the town of West, Texas. He worked as a publicity director for the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (now Texas A＆M) in the 1920s, and was a freelance writer about historic locations whose work was published in the Dallas Morning News and the Houston Chronicle. He married Dale Goolsby, with whom he had two children, William B. Martin, and Dale F. Martin Culbertson. Frank O. Martin died in Waxahachie, Texas, in 1979.
Four drafts of an article and seven photographs by Frank O. Martin were the result of an interview and tour with Andrew Jackson Houston on the San Jacinto Battleground, circa 1925. Different versions of the article describe the route from Houston to the battlefield, the battle of San Jacinto, Tory's Hill, the park in 1925, and Andrew Jackson Houston. The photographs show the road out to the San Jacinto Battleground, Andrew Jackson Houston and an unidentified man walking in the park, the tree where Antonio López de Santa Anna met Sam Houston, portions of the battlefield, and a ship passing the battleground.
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use
Open for research by appointment.
Copyright has not been assigned to the San Jacinto Museum of History. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Library Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Jacinto Museum of History as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
[Identification of Item], Frank O. Martin Papers, MC200, San Jacinto Museum of History, Houston, Texas.
Gift of Margaret Culbertson, September 24, 2014.
Processed by Lisa A. Struthers, 2014.