TABLE OF CONTENTS
List of Subscribers, School Committee of Brenham, Texas
Manuscript Collection: MC190
Brenham, Texas, was originally known as the Hickory Grove community until it changed its name to Brenham in 1843 in honor of Republic of Texas hero Dr. Richard Fox Brenham, who practiced medicine in the area. In 1875, Brenham established the first tax-supported school system in Texas, which included a school for Blacks. In 2012, Brenham Independent School District was the largest public school district in the county with an enrollment of over 4700 students.
The seven-page List of Subscribers, School Committee of Brenham, Texas, includes signatures and amounts of donations payable to Messrs. E. Reichardt and Julian MacFarland, School Committee of the Board of Alderman. The donations were pledged for the purpose of building a school house for the White Public Free Schools of the City of Brenham. Also included is a 19th century envelope which held the list.
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use
Open for research by appointment.
Copyright has not been assigned to the San Jacinto Museum of History. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Library Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Jacinto Museum of History as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
[Identification of Item], List of Subscribers, School Committee of Brenham, Texas, MC190, San Jacinto Museum of History, Houston, Texas.
Howard West, November 1945.
Processed by Lisa M. Lomas, 2012.