The Army and Air Corps Mother's Club of Houston Papers
Manuscript Collection: MC182
The Army and Air Corps Mother's Club of Houston was chartered in 1942 by 37 mothers and wives of army men. The organization worked through the U.S.O., in the beginning dedicating one Sunday each month to the organization. In November of 1942, with the help of the merchants and generous citizens of Houston, Texas, they established and furnished a lounge and canteen in the Ambassador Hotel for servicemen and women. In addition to the canteen, the club participated in every War Loan Drive and other charitable events and activities in Houston.
The Army and Air Corps Mother's Club of Houston Papers are comprised of legal documents, printed materials and a creative work dating from the beginning of the charter in 1942 to 1945. Legal documents include the recorded minutes from the club's meetings from 1942 to 1944. Printed materials are comprised of two pamphlets regarding the uniform code of by-laws and ritual for local clubs of Army and Air Corps Mother's Club dating from 1942, and two awards in appreciation of services rendered to the United States Treasury Department signed and sealed by Henry Morgenthau, Jr., dated in 1944 and 1945. The creative work is a typed brief history of the club detailing the years from 1942 to 1945.
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use
Open for research by appointment.
Copyright has not been assigned to the San Jacinto Museum of History. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Library Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Jacinto Museum of History as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
[Identification of Item], The Army and Air Corps Mother's Club of Houston Papers, MC182, San Jacinto Museum of History, Houston, Texas.
The Army and Air Corps Mother's Club of Houston, Nov. 1945.
Processed by Lisa M. Lomas, 2012.