TABLE OF CONTENTS
Manuscript Collection: MC076
The Mount Pleasant Regular United Baptist Church of Christ was organized in Mount Pleasant, Montgomery County, Texas, on July 25, 1838. Allen Samuel was called as pastor. The expulsion of James W. Parker in 1843 led to a split in the membership and dissolution of the church on August 17, 1844.
The Church Book of the Mount Pleasant Regular United Baptist Church of Christ contains minutes of the meetings of the church from its organization in 1838 to its dissolution in 1844, including reception and excommunication of members. Of interest is the 1841 notation that James W. Parker will travel north to seek Indian captives. Daniel Parker and Isaac Parker attended services. Beginning in 1877, John Wells used the blank pages to record personal accounts, memoranda, and drafts of correspondence, including memoranda of the meetings of the San Jacinto Primitive Baptist Association.
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use
Open for research by appointment.
Copyright has not been assigned to the San Jacinto Museum of History. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Library Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Jacinto Museum of History as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Church Book, Mount Pleasant Regular United Baptist Church of Christ, MC076, San Jacinto Museum of History, Houston, Texas.
The Church Book was left in the hands of Allen Samuel in 1843, who gave it to John Wells in 1877. George A. Hill, Jr., purchased the book on June 14, 1941, from David Leroy Wells, grandson of John Wells.
Processed by Lisa A. Struthers, 2002.