TABLE OF CONTENTS
Guide to the Patrick James Nicholson research for Mr. Jim: The Biography of James Smither Abercrombie, 1846-1982 MS 391
Patrick James Nicholson is the author of Mr. Jim: The Biography of James Smither Abercrombie.
Dr. Patrick James Nicholson (1921-1999) is best known as the author of In Time: An Anecdotal History of the First Fifty Years of the University of Houston. He received a BA from Rice University in 1942, an MBA from Harvard in 1946, and a Ph.D., from the University of Houston in 1959. Nicholson came to the University of Houston as a lecturer in Management in 1951. He continued until 1956, when he became Executive Director of Development and Assistant to the President. He was named Vice President of University Development in 1957, a position he maintained until his retirement in August of 1981. Honorary positions Nicholson held included Past President of the American College Public Relations Association; Past President of the Houston Council on World Affairs; Past President of the Institute of Ophthalmology, Texas Medical Center; and N.Y. Academy of Sciences. He was a member of Phi Kappa Phi; Phi Eta Sigma; Sigma Xi; and Omicron Delta Kappa. (excerpted from finding aid for Dr. Patrick J. Nicholson Papers at University of Houston, accessed on-line at http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/uhua/00011/hua-00011.html on Feb. 18, 2009)
This collection is composed of research materials and manuscripts of Patrick J. Nicholson for his book Mr. Jim: The Biography of James Smither Abercrombie. Included are photocopies of various articles about J.S. Abercrombie, correspondence concerning Nicholson’s research, notes, and typed copies of the manuscript.
Conditions Governing Access note
This material is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Permission to publish material from the Patrick James Nicholson Papers must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library.
Patrick James Nicholson Papers, 1846-1982, MS 391. Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University.
This collection was donated by Dr. Patrick James Nicholson on September 17, 1985.