TABLE OF CONTENTS
Guide to the Miramichi Guest Book, 1907-1934
Edward Andrew (E.A.) Peden was born on March 5, 1868. He became founder and president of Peden Iron and Steel Company in 1902, and was a very successful businessman. He was selected as the Federal Food Administrator of Texas during World War I, and at the request of President Hoover, he traveled to Paris and organized the European Child Relief Bureau of the American Relief Association. In 1923 he received a gold medal from the Houston Rotary Club as the citizen who had performed the greatest disinterested service to his fellow citizens. He was elected to the Rice Board of Trustees in 1922 and died on July 10, 1934.
E.A. Peden purchased Miramichi House, located in Clear Lake, Texas, in 1907 and it served as a weekend, holiday, and summer home for many family members and friends.
This bound volume of photocopies of the original guest book includes the names and comments of many guests who visited Miramichi, near Houston in Clear Lake, Texas, on various weekends and holidays. The book also includes photographs of the house, newspaper clippings regarding buried treasure myths in the area, an introduction and short history of the house by E.A. Peden, a floorplan of the house, and various diary entries by Mrs. E.A. Peden. Also included are several drawings of the handprints of young children such as Stella Peden, Stella Masterson, and Laura Kirkland. E.A. Peden also includes at the beginning of the book the names and comments of visitors that he found carved into the walls when he purchased the home, some dating back to 1902.
Restrictions on Access
This material is open for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish material from the Miramichi Guest Book must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library.
Miramichi Guest Book, 1907-1934, MS 285 , Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University.
The original Miramichi Guest Book was donated by Miss Stella Masterson (granddaughter of E.A. Peden), through Mrs. Edward R. Baird, for photocopying in September 1966. Ms. Masterson kept the original in the family records.