Guide to the Hugh Harleston paper "Did Teotihuacan's Designers have a knowledge of spherical geometry?", 1980 MS 330
Hugh Harleston, Jr. was an electronics technician in the U.S. Navy from 1944 to 1946, working in the operation and repair of radar, sonar, transmitters, receivers, teletype, and telephoto. He is an alumnus of Rice University, receiving a Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering in 1947 with postgraduate research studies of cooling tower efficiency. He also received a Master of Arts in Spanish, with honors, at the National University of Mexico in 1949. He has been president of the Mexico Section of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1963) and the Technology Forecasting Committee at the Mexican Institute of Chemical Engineers (1971-1972). He served as technical advisor to Director General, Mexico's National Commodities Agency (1976-1979). He formed the Uac-Kan Research Group in 1974, which accomplished over 200 archeological field excursions from 1974-1999. With the Uac-Kan, Hugh Harleston organized searches for precalculated sites with 37 finds. His publications include ten technical papers on Teotihuacan and Mayans, five books, and several university lectures. He has also done research in observational astronomy, applied optics, engineering design, philosophy, literature, marketing planning, parapsychology, and archaeoastronomy.
Information taken from Hugh Harleston, Jr.'s Curriculum Vita found on his website http://www.harleston13.com, Feb. 22, 2007.
One report written by Hugh Harleston titled "Did Teotihuacan's Designers Have a Knowledge of Spherical Trigonometry?". Includes illustrations and appendices.
This material is open for research.
Permission to publish from the Hugh Harleston paper, MS 330, must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University.
Hugh Harleston paper "Did Teotihuacan's Designers have a knowledge of spherical trigonometry?", 1980, MS 330, Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University.
This collection was donated by Hugh Harleston on February 19, 1981.
Detailed Description of the Collection