TABLE OF CONTENTS
Description of Series
Guide to the Hallam Tennyson Letters and Postcards, 1886-1926 MS 136
Hallam Tennyson, 2nd Baron Tennyson (11 August 1852-2 December 1928), second Governor-General of Australia, was born at Chapel House, Twickenham, in Surrey, England. He was the elder son of Alfred Tennyson, the most popular and prominent poet of late Victorian England.
Hallam was educated at Marlborough College and Trinity College, Cambridge, but his career aspirations ended when his parents' age and ill-health obliged him to leave Cambridge to become their personal secretary. The idea of going into politics was also abandoned.
It was partly for Hallam's benefit that Alfred Tennyson accepted a peerage in 1884, the year Hallam married Audrey Boyle (after being disappointed in his love for Mary Gladstone, daughter of William Ewart Gladstone). On his father's death in 1892, he inherited the title Baron Tennyson, and also the role of official biographer. His Tennyson: a Memoir was published in 1897.
Excerpted from from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallam_Tennyson, 2005
The collection consists of personal correspondence of Hallam Tennyson, who was the eldest son and biographer of the poet Lord Alfred Tennyson (1809-1892). Correspondents include Mrs. Allingham, Sir George Grove, J. M. Ludlow, A. West. The collection contains letters that deal with Nelson letters, Captain Mahon, and Tennyson's memoir of his father. He writes to Ludlow regarding his Tennyson: a Memoir. Another letter refers to Hester Ritchie, W.M.Thackeray's grand-daughter. Several newspaper clippings published during Tennyson's life give additional biographical information from the period.
This material is open for research.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish material from the Tennyson, Hallam, Letters and Postcards, must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University.
Hallam Tennyson Letters and Postcards, 1886-1926, MS 136, Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University.
The Papers were purchased from Myers (dealer) in 1958.