Guide to the Rice University Mary Gibbs Jones College Records, 1956-1996
Jones College was the first dormitory at Rice University (Institute) for women and opened in September 1957. The building was made possible by a $1 million grant from Houston Endowment, created by the late Jesse H. Jones and Mrs. Jones. It was named Mary Gibbs Jones College in honor of Mrs. Jones. The College went co-ed in the Fall of 1980.
The original complex, located between the President’s residence and Rice Boulevard, consisted of 3 building groups making up a U shape with two four-story dormitory buildings on each side of a court and a dining hall making up the top of the U. Major construction at Rice in 2001 includes changes to Jones College. An addition will connect Jones North and Jones South on four levels and will form the east end of Jones Quadrangle. The Ground Level will be dedicated to the new Jones Commons that will replace the existing facility. A new Kitchen and Servery will serve the Martel, Jones and Brown Commons. A new Master’s residence was completed in February 2001.
Excerpted from Rice University Construction Web Page.
The collection consists of one .5 cubic foot document box and one .25 cubic foot box. The collection contains Jones College business material and ephemera such as college cabinet meeting minutes, publications, news clippings and other college documents, such as telephone lists, invitations, freshman information, etc.
This material is open for research.
Permission to publish material from the Mary Gibbs Jones College Records must be obtained from Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library.
Mary Gibbs Jones College Records, 1956-1997, Rice University Archives, Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University.
Finding aid prepared by Lee Pecht, and updated by Sharon Link, June 21, 2001.
Detailed Description of the Collection