Houston Public Library, Houston Metropolitan Research Center

National Council of Jewish Women Collection RG.E.0023



Descriptive Summary

Creator National Council of Jewish Women Greater Houston Section
Title: National Council of Jewish Women Collection
Dates: Bulk, 1945-1959
Dates: 1913-1976, 1945-1959
Identification: RG.E.0023
Quantity: 6.0 Linear feet, 5 document boxes
Language: Materials are in English.
Repository: Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library

Historical Note

The National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW) first began in 1893 as an offshoot of the Jewish Women’s Congress that was held at the Chicago World’s Fair. The organization provided camaraderie and resources to Jewish women that were not available to them at the time elsewhere. In 1896, Jeanette Miriam Goldberg was appointed Vice President for the Texas Sections of the Council. Her main priorities for women were advancement through self-education and to discourage the trend toward assimilation.

The first section of the NCJW was formed in Tyler, Texas, in 1898 with a core group of seven women. The goals were formed as a response to the individualized-level of charitable care. They sought a broader approach that would address the needs of larger community.

Women’s groups such as the NCJW were subject to criticism from the more traditional rabbis who felt that these women in focusing on the needs of the community, would neglect their own families and lose their Jewish heritage. Despite this, throughout Texas several other sections were being formed. As Jeanette Miriam Goldberg worked in North and West Texas, another woman, Olga Bernstein Kohlberg set about providing volunteers to the El Paso section of the NCJW. Anna Hertzberg was organizing in El Paso and soon was appointed president of that section. In San Antonio, the NCJW was pivotal in assisting over 184 Eastern European Jewish immigrants settling in the U.S. and finding work.

Many of the sections made progressive and daring leaps during the 20th Century. The Waco section promoted birth control education in an effort that would evolve into community planned parenthood organizations. Greater access to birth control gave women more control over their lives, providing them with greater access to education and careers. By the 1970s, only 4 sections of the NCJW remained; Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio. The Greater Houston section of the NCJW continues to thrive. Their headquarters as of 2007 are located in the Meyerland neighborhood of Southeast Houston. They are still dedicated to public service and the preservation of Jewish heritage and traditions. Far from isolating themselves, their services and advocacy extend to the diverse communities of the Greater Houston area.

Reference: Weiner, H. A. & Roseman, K. D. (2007). Lone Stars of David: The Jews of Texas.


Scope and Contents

The collection is comprised of scrapbooks, correspondence, publications and photographs of of the many internal and community services and programs sponsored by the National Council of Jewish Women in Houston.


 

Arrangement

Each page in the scrapbooks has been encapsulated separately for preservation purposes and then placed back into the scrapbook in its original order.
Oversize materials are stored in Box 5. These materials may be part of other series, but have been removed because they require appropriate housing.
The collection is organized into 11 series.
Series 1: Publications
Series 2: Events
Series 3: Community Service
Series 4: Jewish Community Center
Series 5: Awards
Series 6: Administration
Series 7: Newspaper Clippings
Series 8: Photographs
Series 9: Scrapbooks
Series 10: Membership
Series 11: Oversize Materials

Restrictions

Access Restrictions

None.

Use Restrictions

Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the National Council of Jewish Women Collection must be obtained from the Houston Metropolitan Research Center or the appropriate copyright holder.


Index Terms

Goldberg, Jeanette Miriam
Hertzberg, Anna
Kohlberg, Olga Bernstein
National Council of Jewish Women (Houston, Tex)
Community organization--Texas--Houston
Jewish way of life
Jewish women--Texas--Houston--Societies, etc.
Jews—Texas—Houston
Judaism
Tyler (Tex.)
Women in community service--Texas--Houston

Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

National Council of Jewish Women Collection. RG E 23. Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library.

Acquisition Information

Donated by National Council of Jewish Women, Greater Houston Section President, Ann Reva Jacobsen, January 9, 1978.

Processing Information

Processed by Tammy Jordan, August 25, 2007.


Detailed Description of the Collection

 

Series 1: Publications

Box Folder
1 1 Council Chatter, 1966 to 1967
1963 to 1965
1963 to 1965
no date
1965
1963
Box Folder
1 2 Council Woman, 1928 to 1975
3 Digest, 1975
4, 5 Bulletin, 1967 to 1976



 

Series 2: Events

Box Folder
1 6, 7 Announcements, activities descriptions, invitations, correspondence



 

Series 3: Community Service

Box Folder
1 8 General services
9 Operation (LIFT) Literacy Instruction for Texas
Events
Business operations
Budget
Volunteer schedule
Correspondence
Volunteer recruitment
Volunteers
Box Folder
1 10 Operation LIFT teaching materials
11 Operation LIFT teaching materials
12 Women in Community Service (WICS)
Brochures
Awards
Newsletters
Correspondence
Events
Box Folder
1 13 WICS Job Corps
Pamphlets
Correspondence
Membership
Articles
Events
Box Folder
1 14 Houston Jewish Home for the Aged
1974



 

Series 4: Jewish Community Center

Box Folder
2 1 Newsletters, events, articles. 1963, 1973-1975



 

Series 5: Awards

Box Folder
2 2 Certificates, 1961-1964



 

Series 6: Administration

Box Folder
2 3 Business Operations
1943 to 1975
Operations manuals
Box Folder
2 4 Officers
History and Bylaws of the NCJW
Administrators (Biographies and Obituaries)
Directory
Correspondence
Speeches
Installation Service



 

Series 7: Newspaper Clippings

Box Folder
2 5-9 Clippings files



 

Series 8: Photographs

Box Number
2 RG E 23.1 to RG E 23.5 Conferences and Seminars
RG E 23.6 to RG E 23.8 WICS
RG E 23.9 to RG E 23.14 Job Corp
RG E 23.15 to RG E 23.22 Jewish Home for the Aged
RG E 23.23 to RG E 23.27 Outreach
RG E 23.28 to RG E 23.30 Administration
RG E 23.31 Fundraisers
RG E 23.32 to RG E 23.41 Installation Brunch, May 18, 1965
RG E 23.42 Volunteers
RG E 23.43 to RG E 23.44 Jewish Community Center
RG E 23.45 to RG E 23.46 Portraits of Individuals (identified)
RG E 23.47 to RG E 23.60 Portaits of Groups (identified)
RG E 23. 61 to RG E 23.66 Aid in Israel (identified)



 

Series 9: Scrapbooks

Box
3 Scrapbook
Contains information on Operation Lift which was a literacy program operated through WICS (Women in Community Service)
Binder
Contains separate sections on the National Council of Jewish Women programs



 

Series 10: Membership

Box
4 Membership directories, 1913 to 1976



 

Series 11: Oversize Materials

Box
5 Plaque
1965
Scrapbook (bound) with loose sheets
Contains information on the National Council of Jewish Women’s revue of 1950 and numerous newspaper clippings.