A Guide to the Samuel Maverick, Jr. Letter, 1912
Samuel Maverick, Jr. was born at Montpelier Plantation near Pendleton, South Carolina, on 1837 May 14. The oldest child of Samuel Augustus Maverick (1803-1870), a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, and Mary Ann Adams (1818-1898), Samuel Maverick, Jr. arrived in San Antonio with his family on 1838 June 15. Between 1856 and about 1860, he studied at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland. Returning to the United States at the outbreak of the Civil War, Maverick joined Company B, First Texas Mounted Rifles, and served under Colonel Henry McCulloch. The unit primarily battled Indians on the frontier, leading Maverick, seeking more action, to join Company G, Eighth Texas Cavalry (Terry's Texas Rangers) in 1862. He served until 1865 April, when his unit surrendered in North Carolina as part of Joseph E. Johnston’s army.
After the Civil War, Maverick returned to San Antonio and became involved in a number of business ventures, running an irrigated farm on family property that is now Brackenridge Park and later a lumberyard and general store on East Houston Street at Alamo Plaza. He also built the Maverick Bank, was involved in the construction of San Antonio's first streetcar line, and founded the Maverick Lithographing Company, later Maverick-Clark.
Samuel Maverick, Jr. married Sarah “Sallie” Frost on 1871 May 14; the couple had seven children: Samuel A., John Frost, Mary A., Sallie, Elizabeth, Georgia, and Emily. The last surviving member of Terry's Rangers, Maverick died in Austin in 1936 February and was buried in San Antonio’s Mission Burial Park.
Fenstermaker, Anne Leslie. “Samuel Maverick, Jr.” Handbook of Texas Online. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmabh.
Samuel Maverick biographical file, Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library, San Antonio, Texas.
Maverick Family biographical file, Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library, San Antonio, Texas.
In this letter to Governor O. B. Colquitt, 1912 February 2, Samuel Maverick, Jr. describes his recollections of the Alamo, the sale of the property, and plans for a monument on the site. It was written during the controversy involving the Daughters of the Republic of Texas and the State of Texas over plans for the convent or long barracks on the Alamo grounds.
No restrictions. The collection is open for research.
Please be advised that the library does not hold the copyright to most of the material in its archival collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure those rights when needed. Permission to reproduce does not constitute permission to publish. The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright, literary property rights, and libel.
Samuel Maverick, Jr. Letter, 1912, Doc 2966, Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library, San Antonio, Texas.
Purchased from Frontier America, 1986 March.
Processed by Warren Stricker.
Finding aid edited and encoded by Tom D'Amore, 2011 September.
Detailed Description of the Collection