TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Adolph C. Herrera Collection, 1836-circa 1890, 1993, undated
Adolph Casias Herrera was born in San Antonio, Texas, on 1913 January 17, the son of Adolph L. (1885-1914) and Josefa R. Casias (1888-1934) Herrera. A veteran of the U.S. Air Force, he worked for the San Antonio Fire Department for thirty-six years and was a real estate broker. Herrera was also a member of the Lions Club and the Senior Citizens Council of Bexar County and a founding member of the Granaderos de Galvez, an organization dedicated to researching and honoring Spain’s role in the American Revolution.
Herrera’s family roots extend to the earliest settlement of San Antonio, and among his ancestors are several historically important Tejanos. Herrera was a descendant of Canary Islander Juan Curbelo. Often called the “Paul Revere of the Texas Revolution,” his great-grandfather Blas Maria Herrera (1802-1878) was a son-in-law of José Francisco Ruiz (1783–1840), a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Blas Herrera’s ranch, located approximately twenty miles south of San Antonio along the Medina River, contains two of the last remaining jacales in Bexar County. These structures date from as early as the 1830s and represent early settlement and building techniques by Tejano settlers. Portones, or outer gates, from Mission San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo) found on the property are on loan to the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum in Austin, Texas. In 2010, the National Park Service added the Herrera Ranch to the National Register of Historic Places. To honor Herrera’s ancestry, donation of artifacts to various cultural institutions, and lifelong devotion to documenting Texas, San Antonio, and family history, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas awarded him an honorary membership in the organization.
Adolph C. Herrera married Hortensia De La Garza around 1940; the couple had three daughters. Hortense was born in San Antonio on 1921 February 24, one of seven daughters of Francisco and Candelaria De La Garza.
Adolph C. Herrera died in San Antonio on 1999 April 8; his wife died in Austin on 2010 December 22.
Adolph C. Herrera biographical file, Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library, San Antonio, Texas.
Gomez, Maria O. “Francisco Antonio Ruiz.” Handbook of Texas Online. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fru31.
Herrera, Adolph Casias. “Blas Maria Herrera.” Handbook of Texas Online. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fhe73.
Strong, Bernice. “José Francisco Ruiz.” Handbook of Texas Online. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fru11.
Comprised primarily of artifacts, the Adolph C. Herrera Collection also contains a letter, a photograph, and prayer cards.
In the letter to Blas Maria Herrera dated 1836 December 27, José Francisco Ruiz discusses family matters and advises his son-in-law to leave San Antonio should the Mexican army approach. A brief note from Francisco Antonio Ruiz (circa 1804-1876), José Francisco Ruiz’s son, is appended. The document is written in Spanish and accompanied by a transcription and English translation.
No restrictions. The collection is open for research.
Please be advised that the library does not hold the copyright to most of the material in its archival collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure those rights when needed. Permission to reproduce does not constitute permission to publish. The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright, literary property rights, and libel.
Information about the original owners of most of the items in the collection comes from family tradition.
Many of the items came into the Herrera family through the descendants of Maria Antonia Ruiz (1809-1887), daughter of José Francisco Ruiz and wife of Blas Herrera. The items were passed to her son José Maria Herrera (1850-1932), to his daughter Pauline Herrera Ruiz Kleid (1881-1968), and to her niece Sophia S. Herrera Langevin. Langevin retained the bar pin, earrings, and sash and gave other items to her brother Adolph C. Herrera around 1983. The short-sword, previously identified as a machete, was found by Juan Peña on the banks of the Medina River adjacent to the Herrera property around 1919.
[Identification of item], Adolph C. Herrera Collection, 1836-circa 1890, 1993, undated, Col 11546, Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library, San Antonio, Texas.
Gift of Hortense Herrera in honor of Adolph C. Herrera and the Herrera family, 2001 November.
Gift of Anthony Langevin in honor of Sophia S. Herrera Langevin and the Herrera family, 2001 November.
Spanish-language letter transcribed and translated by Dora Guerra, 2000 July-2001 September.
Processed by Russell James, 2008 April.
Additional processing by Caitlin Donnelly, 2011 January.
Finding aid edited and encoded by Caitlin Donnelly, 2011 January.
Items in the collection re-housed by Sara Schmidt and Tom D'Amore, 2011 July.