A Guide to the Casino Association (San Antonio, Tex.) Letterpress Copybook, 1875-1882
Formed by German immigrants in San Antonio, Texas, in 1854, the Casino Association promoted appreciation of the arts and acted as a site for theatrical and musical performances. Occupying its original building from 1857 to 1923, the club merged with the San Antonio Club in 1925.
Cameron, Minnie B. "Casino Club." Handbook of Texas Online. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/vnc01.
The book contains copies of letters sent by officials of the organization, primarily Charles F. Griesenbeck, president of the Casino Association. Most of the letters concern the use of the Casino building for musical or theatrical presentations and special events, and are directed to the agents for performers. Letters describe the facilities available, the fees for use of the hall, and the dates of use. Some letters to other officers and members of the association are included, as are copies of loan documents.
No restrictions. The collection is open for research.
Please be advised that the library does not hold the copyright to most of the material in its archival collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure those rights when needed. Permission to reproduce does not constitute permission to publish. The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright, literary property rights, and libel.
[Identification of item], Casino Association (San Antonio, Tex.) Letterpress Copybook, 1875-1882, Bound Doc 8375, Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library, San Antonio, Texas.
Purchased from Raymond D. White, 1977 April.
Processed by Warren Stricker, 1995 July.
German-language letters translated by Lore A. Senseney, 2010 April.
Finding aid edited and encoded by Caitlin Donnelly, 2010 October.
Detailed Description of the Collection