TABLE OF CONTENTS
Beilharz Family Collection
Theodore M. Beilharz was a stone contractor whose stone yards (Beilharz Stoneyards) was located on Hawkins Street and Pacific Avenue. Beilharz was in business in Dallas from 1887 through 1936. He built the Club house and did the stone work for most of the business buildings, such as the Scollands building, the Texas bank, Thomas Brothers' building, besides many residences, such as those of Simpson M. Dilley, etc. He also put in the stone work for the W.J. Temp brewery, and the Security, Mortgage and Trust building. He employed on average fifteen stone cutters, three setters and fifteen laborers.
Mr. Beilharz was born in Wurttemburg, Germany, in 1860, the second of the eleven children of Jacob and Margaret (Siegway) Beilharz, natives of Wurttemberg. His father was a teacher by profession. As he grew up, young Beilharz learned the trade of a stone cutter in his native city and became the foreman of a stone yard. He served in the German Army about two and a half years. He came to Dallas in 1883, and was employed as a journeyman stone dresser until 1887, when he embarked in the business on his own account. He was a member of Dallas Lodge, No. 70 Knights of Pythias, and of the Uniformed Rank, Division No. 18, and of the Knights of Honor.
In March, 1888, in Dallas, Theodore Beilharz married Miss Laura Frichot, a native of Dallas County and a daughter of C.D. and Susan (Boll) Frichot. Mr. and Mrs. Beilharz had one child, Theodore Jr. Laura (Frichot) Beilharz's father was a native of France, and her mother was from Switzerland, and they came to Dallas County about 1861. Her father was a brick manufacturer. Laura (Frichot) Beilharz's father, Monsieur Christophre Disiree Frichot, was born in Paris, France, on November 26, 1821. Christophe Frichot had a younger brother named Pierre Philip Frichot. After his education in Paris he took up the study of Astronomy. He became a jeweler's apprentice while living in Paris and made that his future profession.
At his brothers insistence Christophre Frichot joined him in the expedition to Texas. Leaving La Havre, France, he arrived at La Reunion in 1856. He settled in the French Colony for a short while and later moved to the town of Dallas where he endeavored to establish himself in his chosen profession as a jeweler. Finding little demand for this type of service he decided to join his brother and nephew in the brick making business. The Frichot brothers, together with the son, Achille, and also the son-in-law of Monsieur Pierre Frichot, Jean Priot, formed the first brick plant to be established in the growing town of Dallas. From the output of this business many of the first brick houses and buildings were built in this new territory.
Monsier Christophre Frichot later married Mlle. Suzanne Boll, a sister of Henri Boll also one of the colonist who had arrived at the colony from Switzerland. Three daughters were born to Monsier and Madame Frichot-Laura, Bertha, and Henrietta.
Monsieur Frichot at one time owned the Northeast corner of Ervay and Main upon which was latter built the old Middleton Building. He acquired numerous tracts of Dallas property during his residence in this city. He died in Dallas on June 2nd 1879. Although his stay in La Reunion was of short duration, being well educated, he was well liked by his countrymen. During his lifetime Christophre Frichot became one of the outstanding citizens of Dallas.
The Collection, in seven boxes of varying sizes, is composed mostly of photographs collected by Laura (Frichot) Beilharz. The majority of photographs are of family and friends and the Beilharz Stoneyard. The Collection also includes interesting artifacts and documents such as Stare Fair of Texas items, a dance card, autograph book, early stock certificates for Dallas Companies, and warranty deeds.
The Collection is organized in three series. The First series is photographs, which consists of images of family and friends and of the family business, Beilharz Stoneyard, and examples of the items they produced. Also included are photographs of the A. Busch & Co. building and warehouse. The second series is artifacts, which consist of an autograph book, dance card, State Fair of Texas items, photograph album (photos removed), and a Protestant Episcopal hymnal. The third series consist of documents from both the Frichot and Beilharz families. The document dates range form 1864-1990, and includes such items as amnesty oath/pardon for C.D. Frichot in 1866, monthly statements form Sanger Brothers Department Store in 1887, stock certificates for Fin and Feather Club 1894, thrift card from WWII, voter registration for 1872, and warranty deeds.
Researchers interested in Dallas history, particularly early families and businesses, will find the Beilharz Family Collection a valuable source of information. Especially interesting are the photographs of early Dallas citizens and La Reunion Colony members. The collections unusual mix of artifacts and documents provide a glimpse of the type of memorabilia collected by the Beilharz and Frichot families. The collection also contains interesting bits of historical information about Dallas.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish material or obtain a copy of a photograph must be obtained from the Texas/Dallas History and Archives Division of the Dallas Public Library.
MA99-2 Beilharz Family Collection Texas/Dallas History & Archives Division, Dallas Public Library
The Beilharz Family Collection was purchased by the Dallas Public Library. Carol Roark and Sharon Perry Martin received the materials from Theodore Jr. and Carol Beilharz at their home. Sharon Martin completed an initial inventory of all items in the collection. The collection was transferred to the Dallas Public Library on April 13, 1999. Processing and finding guide were completed by Allison Baker in January 2002.
Processed by Allison Baker