TABLE OF CONTENTS
G.W. Sonnefield Collection
George W. Sonnefield was a Dallas contractor/builder in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He moved to Dallas from Terre Haute, Indiana, in the mid-1880s (he first appears in the 1886-87 City Directory). After working as an independent carpenter for a few years, he teamed with Henry J. Emmins in the early 1890s to form Sonnefield & Emmins Construction Company, Inc., at 244 Cochran Avenue. The company offered building services as well as the manufacture and supply of building materials. Some of their early projects included the Dallas County Jail, Bowie County Court House, Jail and Water Works, Hopkins County Courthouse, the interior finish of the Dallas County Court House (Old Red), and the Carnegie Library (Dallas Public Library). Sonnefield also built the family's two residences on Browder Street. Sonnefield & Emmins ceased operations around 1901, and Sonnefield continued working as an independent contractor/carpenter. One of his later projects was building Parkland Hospital in 1912 (opened in 1914). He died April 22, 1919, in Dallas.
This collection consists of a few miscellaneous papers and photographs belonging to George W. Sonnefield. Virginia Fite, granddaughter of Sonnefield, donated the collection on 10/31/01. Mrs. Fite donated other materials relating to Sonnefield's career in Dallas to the Dallas Historical Society sometime in the 1960s.
MA01.6 G.W. Sonnefield Collection. Texas/Dallas History & Archives Division, Dallas Public Library
Processed by Mike Miller