The Austin Waltz Club Records
An Inventory to the Collection
The Austin Waltz Club was founded in 1945 when the manager of the Stephen F. Austin Hotel, Ross Shelton, met with a small group of individuals. Out of their discussions, the not-for-profit Club was founded to provide members with an opportunity to waltz. Although, over the years other kinds of ballroom dance was added. Member's dues fund the dances that the Club organizes throughout the year. Fifty-five couples are allowed to be members at one time, with other interested couples placed on a wait list. The dances have been held at the Austin Hotel, the Commodore Perry Hotel, and the Austin Country Club.
This collection consists of the Club's organizational records. Included are historical summaries, constitutions, contracts with orchestras and musicians hired for the dances, rosters and wait lists of members, correspondence regarding upcoming dances, financial records, and minutes and agendas from Board of Directors meetings dating from 1956 through 2011, although the bulk of records document the years 1981 through 2011.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
The Austin Waltz Club Records (AR.2017.017). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/2017/034
Donation Date: 2017
Finding aid created and encoded by Kendall Newton in 2017.
Detailed Description of the Collection