Coates and Legge Records and Drawings
An Inventory of the Collection
Coates and Legge was an architectural firm in Austin, Texas in the 1960s formed by Don Edward Legge and Paul Coates, Jr.. The firm was originally organized as Allen, Coates and Legge, Architects in 1960 but by 1963 John Chiles Allen had left the partnership. Don Edward Legge attended Texas A&M University, the Instituto Tecnologico de Monterrey and graduated from the University of Texas in 1954. Paul Coates, Jr. was a native of St. Paul, Minnesota and came to Austin in 1952 to study architectural design under Harwell Hamilton Harris at the University of Texas School of Architecture.
Projects designed by Coates and Legge include Dairyland County Mutual Insurance Company (Airport Boulevard) office building, White Instrument Laboratories building, Employees Retirement System of Texas office building, University of Texas Laboratory (Brackenridge Field Laboratory), and the Austin Public Library Oak Springs branch (now called the Willie Mae Kirk branch).
Coates and Legge Records and Drawings is a small collection that contains the general construction contract and the architectural drawings for the Austin Public Library Oak Springs Branch built in 1967. Also included are the construction documents for an office building for the Boy Scouts of American Capitol Area Council from 1968.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
Coates and Legge (AR.2009.011). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: unknown
Donation Date: unknown
Finding aid created and encoded by Molly Hults in 2016.
Detailed Description of the Collection