Contact Us

Texas Archival Resources Online

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Overview of the Collection

Administrative History

Scope and Contents

Arrangement of the Records

Restrictions

Index Terms

Related Material

Separated Material

Administrative Information

Description of Series

Personal Papers, 1919-1991

Professional Papers, 1927-1963

Office Records, 1922-1932, 1948-1951, 1960

Project Records and Photographs, 1921-1963, 1982-1983, 2004-2008, undated

Drawings, 1921-1959

Austin History Center

August Watkins Harris Records and Drawings

An Inventory of the Collection



Overview of the Collection

Creator: Harris, August Watkins
Title: August Watkins Harris Records and Drawings
Inclusive Dates: 1919-2008
Bulk Dates: 1920-1963
Abstract: August Watkins Harris worked as an architect based out of Austin, Texas from the 1920s through the 1950s. As a partner in Giesecke & Harris, and as an independent architect, he designed residential, educational, commercial, public, office and ecclesiastical buildings throughout Texas. Harris also researched historic buildings, worked on preserving them and published books on their history. The personal, professional and project records in this collection document his influence on the local built environment.
Identification: AR.2009.043
Quantity: 7 linear feet (9 text boxes) and 1 flat file drawer and 8 rolls (300 drawings; 66 sets)
Location: Architectural archives stacks and flat file drawers, Archt qAR; Outer Vault
Language: The records are in English.
Repository: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, 810 Guadalupe, PO BOX 2287, Austin, TX 78768

Administrative History

August Watkins "Watt" Harris, Sr. (1893-1968) was born in Austin, Texas to William Watkins and Lou Harris (née Swartz). Harris enrolled in the University of Texas, School of Architecture in 1910. While attending UT, and post-graduation he also worked in the office of Dennis Walsh, Architect to gain practical knowledge, and from 1915 to 1917 he functioned as the chief draftsman on the construction of the John T. Allan Junior High School (Rio Grande campus). In 1917, Harris received an army commission from Leon Springs First Officers Training Camp and served as an officer in World War I. Harris was discharged in 1919 and spent two years in Tampico, Mexico as an Associate to David R. Williams, Architect in the construction of residential facilities, plants, dormitories and office buildings for oil companies that operated there.

Upon returning to the United States in 1921 Harris formed the architectural firm Giesecke & Harris, with Bertram E. Giesecke, a former University of Texas classmate. In 1922, Harris married Loula Macgill Ujffy, with whom he had four children: Clara, August, Jr., William, and Eleanor.

The firm of Giesecke & Harris designed a number of school buildings in the Austin area and elsewhere in Texas including high schools and junior highs in Edinburgh and Orange Grove school districts as seen in this collection. The firm was also responsible for a number of local commercial and public buildings, including the Norwood Tower and attached Motoramp parking garage (1929) and the Confederate House Mothers building (1925). Giesecke and Harris also designed public, commercial, and residential buildings outside of Austin such as the Kingsville Public Library (1926).

Harris' partnership with Giesecke dissolved in 1941 when he began service in the US Army in World War II. Harris retired as a Lieutenant Colonel after the war and began a private architectural practice, designing and renovating a number of area homes, before forming a partnership with his son William M. Harris. During this period, Harris designed The State Bar of Texas building (1951) and Govalle Fire Station No. 15 (1952). He was also appointed to the Austin Chamber of Commerce Military Affairs Committee in 1951. Late in his life, Harris researched and published two books on architectural history: Minor and Major Mansions in Early Austin (1958), on historically-significant homes in the Austin area, and The Elgin-Butler Brick Company, 1873-1963 (1963), on the history of the Austin-based construction company.

Bertram Ernst Giesecke (1892-1950) was born in New Braunfels, Texas to Fredrich Ernst and Hulda Antoinette Giesecke (née Gruene). He earned a bachelor's degree in architecture from Texas A&M in 1911 and a bachelor's degree in architectural engineering from the University of Texas in 1913, after which he worked with several local architects. With his wife Lois (born 1895), he had two children, Bertram, Jr. and William. Giesecke served in World War I as a member of the signal corps. After his partnership with Harris dissolved in 1941, Giesecke formed the firm of Giesecke, Kuehne and Brooks in 1942, and served as the president of the Texas Society of Architects in 1946.

Loula Macgill Ujffy (1900-1993) of Galveston, Texas married August Watkins Harris, Sr. in 1922. While studying pre-medicine at the University of Texas, she worked as a nurse, treating patients during the Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918. Loula shared an interest in historic building preservation with her husband and was active in the Austin Heritage Society for a majority of her adult life. She was also actively involved in the management of Austin libraries, having been first appointed to the city's Library Commission in 1936 and reappointed every two years until 1980. As a commissioner, she chaired the Buildings and Grounds committee for a time in the 1970s. She was named Consultant to Branch Services in 1980 until her resignation from that post in 1983. Loula was also a member of the Austin Woman's Club and the Women's Architectural League of Austin.

Return to the Table of Contents


Scope and Contents

The August Watkins Harris Records and Drawings collection spans the years 1919 to 2008 and is arranged into five series: Personal Papers, Professional Papers, Office Records, Project Records and Photographs, and Drawings

The Personal Papers series (1919-1991) contains personal materials of August Watkins Harris, his wife Loula and a small amount of materials attributed to Bertram Giesecke. The August Watkins Harris subseries (1925-1963) consists of personal papers and correspondence, mostly from the last two decades of Watt's life. The personal papers file includes correspondence and records from his involvement with several social and civic organizations such as the Austin Chamber of Commerce's Military Affairs Committee after World War II; the National Housing Agency and the Mayor's Emergency Housing Committee; the American Legion; Zoning Commission, Travis County Historical Survey Committee and the Heritage Society of Austin. Harris' work in Austin included working with the mayor on his Emergency Housing Committee. The "Austin Plan" which was developed by this committee worked to provide housing units for WWII veterans. Harris, a WWII veteran himself, did not serve on the committee but worked as a consultant for the mayor. This material includes writings that Harris prepared for the committee and minutes from meetings. Also included are legal records regarding the estate of Charlotte Warmoth and records of Harris's son William being falsely declared and fined as a straggler from the US Navy while stationed in Boston in 1947, with accompanying letter of apology from the Navy shortly thereafter. And lastly, there are several photographs of Harris and illustrations drawn by Harris including a panoramic photo of the members of the Civilian Conservation Corps Company 845 in Kirbyville, Texas.

The Loula Harris subseries (1919, 1936-1991) contains material created as part of Loula's interest in historic preservation and as a member of the Austin Library Commission, in addition to personal materials and newspaper and magazine clippings. The preservation file includes Heritage Society bulletins and pamphlets, event invitations, membership directories, and correspondence regarding Heritage Society activity. The Austin Library Commission file contains correspondence between Loula and others involved in city government and library management, as well as minutes of Library Commission meetings. Also included are Loula's appointment letters from 1936-1983, alongside additional minutes, internal correspondence, and circulated materials. Other notable materials in the file include a 1973 letter from Loula to City Manager Dan Davidson regarding the naming of a new library branch, and Loula's 1983 letter of resignation from the Library Commission. In addition, Loula regularly clipped stories from newspapers and magazines such as mentions of Harris family members in the media, most notably an interview with Loula herself regarding her experience as a nurse in Austin during the 1918 influenza outbreak which took the life of her sister.

The Giesecke subseries (1923-1927) includes a variety of personal business records including insurance policies, records of loan and mortgage payments, records of Giesecke's investment in the Delaware Punch Company of America, personal correspondence regarding Giesecke's membership in the O.S.O. Club of Corpus Christi, and subscription to Literary Digest magazine. In addition there are a curriculum vitae and portfolio of his father F. E. Giesecke assembled when he was being considered as a candidate for president of the Texas Technological College. These materials were given to the Harris family following Giesecke's death in 1950.

The majority of the materials in the Professional Papers series (1927-1963) concern Harris' professional activities and interests. Included are the research notes, drafts, sketches, measured drawings and photographs for his published works: Cass Gilbert's Old Library Building: The Eugene C. Barker Texas History Center, 1910-1960, The Elgin Brick Company, 1873-1963, "Historic Austin: Seat of Government of Texas" and Minor and Major Mansions in Early Austin. In addition there are reports, clippings, correspondence and photographic prints and negatives that document his interest in the historic preservation of the built environment in Austin and the surrounding areas. Lastly there is a "Record of Achievement" that outlines Harris's career and professional licensing documentation. Giesecke's documents only include a letter from The American Institute of Architects acknowledging his qualifications and a flyer promoting him for State Senate.

The Office Records series (1922-1960) contains records relating to both the firm Giesecke & Harris and August Watkins Harris, Architect. Included are correspondence with clients and contractors, a collection of letters of recommendation sent in support of Giesecke & Harris' architectural bids by satisfied past clients and efforts to solicit projects.

The Project Records series (1921-2008) comprises the bulk of the collection. It includes specifications, sketches, correspondence, contracts, invoices and photographic prints and negatives pertaining to the architectural projects undertaken by August Watkins Harris. These projects include homes, apartment buildings, public buildings, banks, schools, and libraries. The project files encompass Harris' partnership with Bertram Giesecke, Harris' own private practice, and his subsequent partnership with his son, William M. Harris. Buildings include the Norwood Tower, Citizens State Bank, State Bar Association, the Confederate House Mothers' Building, the Texas School for the Deaf, a number of Austin and surrounding area's public schools, and St. Mary's Cathedral altar. The majority of the Austin Public Schools projects were part of a Public Works Administration project (PWA Docket Tex-1300R) in the 1930s. These files highlight all the processes and procedures required by the government to be awarded these types of projects. These same files illustrate segregation in the public school system in the 1930's.

The Drawings series consists of 260 drawings representing 46 projects. Included are perspective sketches, plans, elevations, sections and details for commercial, ecclesiastical, educational, medical, public and residential designs of projects. Notable examples of these are the Norwood Tower and MotorRamp Garage (1929); Santa Rita Courts (Mexican Housing Project; 1938); Knights of Columbus Building (1950) and State Bar of Texas Headquarters (1951).

Return to the Table of Contents


Arrangement of the Records

Arranged into five series:
Personal Papers
Professional Papers
Office Records
Project Records and Photographs
Drawings

Return to the Table of Contents


Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

Open to all users.

Restrictions on Use

The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.

Return to the Table of Contents


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.
Persons:
Campi, Ray.
Giesecke, Bertram, 1892-1950.
Giesecke, Frederick Ernst, 1869-.
Harris, August Watkins, 1893-1968.
Harris, Loula Macgill Ujffy, 1900-1993.
Organizations:
Austin Public Schools.
Citizens State Bank.
Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.). Company 845 (Kirbyville, Tex.).
Elgin-Butler Brick.
Giesecke & Harris.
Preservation Austin (formerly Heritage Society Of Austin) (1950s & 1960s).
St. Mary's Cathedral School.
Texas School For the Deaf.
Places:
Austin (Tex.)
Colorado County (Tex.)
Hidalgo County (Tex.)
Houston (Tex.)
Nueces County (Tex.)
Travis County (Tex.)
Williamson County (Tex.)
Subjects:
Architecture--Texas.
Buildings--Designs and plans.
Historic Buildings--Texas.
Historic Preservation--Texas.
Historic sites--Texas--Austin--Conservation and Restoration.
Segregation--in education.
Document Types:
Administrative records.
Architectural records.
Black-and-white negatives.
Black-and-white photographs.
Blueprints.
Budgets.
Business correspondence.
Clippings.
Color photographs.
Color negatives.
Drafts.
Drawings.
Financial records.
Meeting records.
Membership records.
Minutes.
Organizational records.
Personal papers.
Photograph albums.
Plans.
Professional papers.
Project files.
Publications.
Research files.
Speeches.

Return to the Table of Contents


Related Material

Archives and Manuscripts


  • AR.1998.003 Heritage Society of Austin Records
  • AR.2010.033 Brooks, Barr, Graeber and White Records
  • AR.2013.036 Texas Blind, Deaf and Orphan School Architectural Drawings
  • AR.2012.035 J. Roy White Drawings

Austin Files


  • AF Biography Harris Family
  • AF Subject Architects - Giesecke & Harris A5600 (28)

General Collection


  • A 725.1097643 HA Harris, August Watkins, Specifications for the Repair and Renovation of the Old General Land Office Building for the State of Texas, Austin, Texas, 1957
  • A 727.827 HA Harris, August Watkins, Cass Gilbert's Old Library Building The Eugene C. Barker Texas History Center, 1910-1960, 1960
  • A 728.0976431 HA Harris, August Watkins MMinor and Major Mansions in Early Austin, 1955
  • A 917.6411 AU76H Harris, August Watkins, Minor & Major Mansions in Early Austin, 1955
  • A 917.6411 AU76H SUPPL Harris, August Watkins, Minor and Major Mansions in Early Austin: An Edition Composite
  • A 976.431 AU Harris, August Watkins, Historic Austin Seat of Government of Texas, An Index and Commentary From the Pen of August Watkins Harris, 1960

Architectural Drawings


  • AR.2009.059 Barbee Architects, Inc. Records and Drawings - Norwood Building BAR-9801/FF-015/BAR
  • AR.2013.036 Texas Blind, Deaf and Orphan School Architectural Drawings - Deaf, Dumb and Blind Institute for Colored Youth Dining Hall GH-197; Hospital GH-219; Dormitory GH-236; Trades Building GH-1938-001; Shop Building GH-206 - all in FF-004/TX
  • AR.2012.035 J. Roy White Drawings - Y.W.C.A. Residence Building JRW-001/FF-004/JRW. Various other drawings in this collection while he was an Associate Architect for Giesecke, Kuehne & Brooks.
  • Page Southerland Page Records and Drawings - J.R. Reed Music Company remodel GH-254/R-022/PSP
  • Austin High School Music Building and Boiler House AISD-252/FF-00/3AISD

Both the Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library at the Alamo, San Antonio, Texas and the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History have collections related to August Watkins Harris as well.

Return to the Table of Contents


Separated Material

General Collection

The following titles found in the collection were removed and added to the AHC General Collection.

  1. Andrews, Fanny M. Miss Fanny, Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1964.
  2. Long, Walter Ewing. Wings over Austin, 1962.
  3. Austin Woman's Club. 1986-1987 Yearbook, 1986.
  4. Austin Woman's Club. 1987-1988 Yearbook, 1987.
  5. Bowman, Paul W. The Formative Years, Austin: The American Legion, Travis Post No. 76, 1965.
  6. Goeth, Ralph. One Hundred Years of Tips in Texas, 1957.
  7. Harold F. Wise Associates. Capitol Area Master Plan, May 1956.
  8. Harris, August Watkins. Minor and Major Mansions in Early Austin: A Supplement, Buildings of the Seat of Government 1840-1861, Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959.
  9. Harris, August Watkins. The Elgin-Butler Brick Company, 1873-1963, Austin: Elgin-Butler Brick Company, 1963.
  10. Long, Walter E. It's Your Move, Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1968.
  11. Smith, Hank Todd. Austin, Its Architects and Architecture (1836-1986), Austin: Austin Chapter American Institute of Architects, 1986.
  12. The Austin City Planning Commission. The Austin Plan, Austin: 1958.

Periodicals

The following titles found in the collection were removed and added to the AHC Periodicals Collection.

  1. Building Digest. Two issues from 1956.
  2. German Texan Heritage Society Newsletter. Vol. 4, No. 1, Spring 1982.
  3. Municipal Perspective: A monthly newsletter published by and for employees of The City of Austin. January 1964.
  4. Preservation Voice: Quarterly Newsletter of the Heritage Society of Austin. Scattered issues from 1993-1999.
  5. Senate Journal. March 25, 1959.
  6. Texas Architect. Two issues from 1959.
  7. The 1886 Gazette. Scattered issues from 1980-1991.
  8. The Heritage Society of Austin, Inc. Newsletter. November 1956.

Return to the Table of Contents


Administrative Information

Custodial History

Donated by the creator's daughter.

Preferred Citation

August Watkins Harris Records and Drawings (AR.2009.43). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.

Acquisition Information

Donor #: DO/1968/012

Donation Date: 1997, 2008

Processing Information

Finding aid created and encoded by David Bliss, Alicia Esquivel, and Amanda Winograd in 2015. Updated by Molly Hults in 2016.

Return to the Table of Contents


Detailed Description of the Collection

Personal Papers, 1919-1991

August Watkins Harris 1925-1963
Box Folder
1 1 Civic and social involvement , 1925-1963
2 Correspondence-general, 1951-1964
3 Correspondence regarding William Harris (Billy), 1947
4 Legal records regarding Charlotte Warmoth estate, 1963
5 Photographs and illustrations, undated
Location Location
Outer Vault Panoramas folder CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) Camp #845, Kirbyville, Texas group panoramic photograph (#549), 1934
Box Folder
1 6 Writings, undated
Loula Harris, 1919, 1936-1991
Box Folder
1 7 Austin Public Library Commission, 1936-1983
8 Heritage Society and preservation work, 1958-1991, undated
9 Newspaper clippings, 1950-1986, undated
10 Assorted ephemera, 1919, 1960-1990
Bertram Giesecke, 1923-1927
Box Folder
1 11 Personal correspondence, 1927
12 Financial and legal records, 1923-1927
Box Folder
3 2 Fredrich Ernst Giesecke portfolio and curriculum vitae, 1925, undated

Return to the Table of Contents




Professional Papers, 1927-1963

August Watkins Harris, 1931, 1947-1963
Published Works Working Files, 1955-1963, undated
Box Folder
2 1 Cass Gilbert's Old Library Building: The Eugene C. Barker Texas History Center, 1910-1960, 1956-1960
2-5 The Elgin Brick Company, 1873-1963, 1956-1962, undated
Location Box
Archt. qAR 3 Map of Butler Brick Company locations, 1960
Box Folder
2 6 "Historic Austin: Seat of Government of Texas", 1959-1961
7 Minor and Major Mansions in Early Austin working files, 1955-1963
Box Folder
8 17 Minor and Major Mansions in Early Austin photographs, 1955-1956, undated
See B&W negatives drawer for corresponding negatives.
Location FlatFile
Architectural Archives FF-004/HAR; FF-005/HAR; FF-006; R-004/HAR Minor and Major Mansions in Early Austin measured drawings, 1955-1957
See here for a complete list of drawings associated with A.W. Harris. The measured drawings for "Minor and Major Mansions" are indicated in the project name.
Historic Preservation, 1947-1963
Box Folder
2 8 Assorted clippings, correspondence and reports, 1956-1963
9 Neill Cochran House brochures, 1960
Box Folder
8 1 Assorted Austin buildings photographs , 1960, undated
See B&W negatives drawer for corresponding negatives.
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W negatives drawer Pease property negatives, undated
Box Folder
8 16 St. Mary's Cathedral exterior photographs, 1947
See B&W negatives drawer for corresponding negatives.
2 Concepcion Mission photographs, undated
3 Fredericksburg and Independence historic building photographs, undated
4 Unidentified historic building photographs, 1947-1960, undated
Assorted, 1931, 1951, 1958, undated
Box Folder
2 10 Work with David R. Williams in Tampico, Mexico, 1931, 1951-1963, undated
11 Limestone buildings and building materials in Austin, 1958
12 Record of achievement, undated
13 Licensing, 1951
Bertram Giesecke, 1927, undated
Box Folder
3 1 American Institute of Architects and State Senate, 1927

Return to the Table of Contents




Office Records, 1922-1932, 1948-1951, 1960

Giesecke & Harris, 1922-1932, 1951, 1960, undated
Box Folder
3 3 Assorted correspondence, 1924-1927, 1960
4 Financial records, 1927, 1951, undated
5 Letters of recommendation, 1922-1932
6 Soliciting work, 1925-1927
Box Folder
8 5 Potential projects perspective renderings and preliminary studies, undated
August Watkins Harris, Architect, 1948-1949
Box Folder
7 11 Soliciting work, 1948-1949

Return to the Table of Contents




Project Records and Photographs, 1921-1963, 1982-1983, 2004-2008, undated

Giesecke & Harris, 1921-1934, 1953, 1982-1983, 2004, 2007
Box Folder
3 7 American Legion Club House (Charles Johnson House) correspondence and photographs, 1925
See B&W negatives drawer for corresponding negatives.
Box Folder
8 6 Angleton school aerial photographs, undated
Box Folder
3 8 Ashe house and apartments correspondence, contracts, specifications and photographs, 1921-1926
See B&W negatives drawer for corresponding negatives.
Austin Public Schools, 1924-1925, 1935-1937, 1956
Box Folder
3 9 John T. Allan Junior High School (Rio Grande) renovation specifications, bids, and correspondence, 1924-1925,
Box Folder
8 7 Allan Junior High School photographs, undated
Location Box
Archt. qAR 3 Allan Junior High School tinted photograph, undated
PWA Docket Tex-1300R, 1935-1937
Box Folder
3 10 Bids, 1936
11 Correspondence, 1936
Box Folder
4 1 Public Works Administration/Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works correspondence, 1936
3 Becker Elementary and Anderson High School shop building, 1935-1936
4 Zavala Elementary "Mexican School", 1935-1937
5 John Bingham, 1935-1936
6 Cyclone Fence Co., 1935-1936
7 Southwestern Laboratories, 1936
Box Folder
5 1 Swann-Schulle Furniture, 1936
2 Walter Tips Co., 1936-1937
3 List of drawings transferred to Austin Independent School District, 1956
Box Folder
8 8 Brenhem High School photographs, undated
9 Bryan Municipal Building photographs, undated
10 Bryan High School illustration, undated
Box Folder
5 4 Confederate Home Mother's Building specifications, correspondence and contracts, 1925-1926
13 Eagle Lake School brochures, 1926
Box Folder
9 11 Columbus High School photographs, undated
See B&W negatives drawer for corresponding negatives.
Box Folder
8 12 Eagle Lake High School photographs, undated
13 East Avenue and Speedway (Hyde Park) fire stations, undated
Box Folder
5 5 Edinburg Consolidated Schools newspaper clippings and brochures, 1927, undated
Box Folder
9 1 Edinburg Consolidated Schools photographs, undated
Box Folder
8 14 Edinburg Municipal Hospital construction photographs, undated
Box Folder
9 2 Faust Bank, New Braunfels photograph, undated
3 Frank C. Gregg residence photographs, undated
Box Folder
5 6 Hospitals - assorted newspaper clippings and illustrations, undated
7 Kingsville Public Library specifications and correspondence, 1926-1927
Box Folder
9 4 Metropolitan A.M.E. Church (Austin) photographs, undated
Box Folder
5 8 Norwood Tower newspaper clippings, correspondence, programs and invitations (Austin; HAR-41), 1925-1930, 1953, 1982-1983, 2004, 2007
Box Folder
9 5 Norwood Tower construction photographs, 1928, undated
See B&W negatives drawer for corresponding negatives.
Box Folder
5 9 Orange Grove School correspondence and invoices, 1924
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W negatives drawer Orange Grove School construction negatives, circa 1928
Box Folder
9 6 Prison Farm, Sugarland, Texas photographs, undated
7 Robstown school photographs, undated
Box Folder
5 10 John C. Ross residence (Austin) specifications, contracts, correspondence and invoices, 1923
11 St. David's Hospital correspondence and clippings, 1928-1929
12 St. Edwards University contracts, correspondence, invoices, clippings and photographs, 1922-1929
Box Folder
8 15 Nellie Schunier Memorial High School construction photographs, undated
See B&W negatives drawer for corresponding negatives.
Box Folder
5 14 State School for the Deaf - Oral Training building and concrete porches specifications, correspondence, and invoices, 1925
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W negatives drawer State School for the Deaf concrete porches negatives, circa 1925
Box Folder
6 1 Taylor schools specifications, correspondence and clippings, 1924-1928, undated
Box Folder
9 8 Taylor High School construction photographs, undated
See B&W negatives drawer for corresponding negatives.
Box Folder
6 2 Texas Rail & Water Terminal Warehouse correspondence and illustrations, 1927-1929
Box Folder
9 9 Virginia apartment building (Houston) photograph, undated
Box Folder
6 3 Weimar Bank correspondence, 1924-1934
Box Folder
9 10 Wesley Bible Chair photographs, undated
11 West End School photographs, undated
12 Unidentified school construction photographs, undated
August Watkins Harris, Architect, 1946-1963, 2005, 2008, undated
Box Folder
6 4 7-11 Building and Burton Dry Cleaners contracts, correspondence, invoices and illustrations, 1954-1955
5 J.G. Bass apartments specifications, correspondence, invoices and illustrations, 1946-1947
6 Buford residence, 1953
7 Raymond Campi store building, 1947-1948
8-9 Citizens State Bank, 1947-1949
10 Citizens State Bank photographs, undated
Box Folder
7 1 General Land Office renovations, 1957-1963
2-3 Govalle Fire Station, 1952-1953
Box Folder
9 13 Govalle Fire Station photographs, circa 1953
See B&W negatives drawer for corresponding negatives.
Box Folder
7 4 Irvin residence, 1950
Box Folder
9 14 W.R. Irvin residence (Round Rock) photographs, 1952
Label on the photograph envelope said Wessels but the photographs look more like the Irvin home. May be a mixture of both. Harris modelled four homes in Round Rock for a group of friend - W. R. Irvin, Ted Wessels, Neely Todd and Alex MacNabb. There are corresponding negatives in the B&W negatives drawer.
Box Folder
7 5 Johnson residence, 1949
6 Knights of Columbus building remodel, 1950
7 MacNabb residence, 1952-1953
8 St. Mary's Cathedral alter, 1948, 2005, 2008
9 Z.T. Scott residence, 1958
10 State Bar of Texas Association building, 1951-1961
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W negatives drawer State Bar of Texas construction negatives, circa 1950s
Box Folder
7 13 Settlement Home, 1952
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W Negatives drawer Texas State Bank negatives, undated
Box Folder
7 12 W. W. Todd residence, 1953
Box Folder
9 15 Unidentified construction photographs, undated
16 Unidentified residences, undated

Return to the Table of Contents




Drawings, 1921-1959

Located in the Architectural Archives flat files. See the Architectural Archives database for access to specific drawings. View a spreadsheet of the drawings here

Return to the Table of Contents