Rhody & Weber Account Ledger
An Inventory of the Collection
John A. Weber and Max O. Rhody were employed at W. T. Wroe, a harness and saddle manufacturer located at 421-423 Congress Avenue, Austin, Texas, until 1905. A strike at W. T. Wroe led Weber and Rhody to open their own business making harnesses, saddles and buggies. The 1906 Austin City Directory lists the address of Rhody & Weber as 421 East 6th Street and two years later, in 1909, the address moved across the street to 418-420 East 6th Street. The business moved for the final time in the late 1910s to 304 East 6th Street. After moving the business to the new location they ceased making horse drawn buggies and concentrated on saddles and bridles as well as starting an automobile-trimming business and building automobiles. Once automobiles started being mass produced they ceased the automobile building business but maintained the auto-trimming business and would occasionally restore antique cars. In 1939, Max Rhody because ill and in 1941 John Weber's son, Theodore bought out Rhody's half of the business and the name was changed to John Weber and Son. Theo Weber closed the shop in 1971.
One Rhody & Weber account ledger with entries from 1905 until 1911 that list the name of the customers, type of items they purchased (whip, harness, bit, blanket, halter, etc.) and the status of their account.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
Rhody & Webber Account Ledger (AR.1994.027). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1968/048
Donation Date: 1968
Finding aid created and encoded by Molly Hults in 2014.
Detailed Description of the Collection