Austin History Center

D. C. Freeman House Records and Waterloo Compound Scrapbook

An Inventory to the Collection



Overview of the Collection

Creator: Barentine, J. P., III
Title: D. C. Freeman House Records and Waterloo Compound Scrapbook
Abstract: Legal and financial records, letters, short historical narratives, photographs and cations, and photographic negatives documenting the ownership, tenancy, restoration, and city planning issues concerning the house at 610 East 3rd Street, and the 600 block of East 3rd Street, in Austin, Texas. Among the tenants purported to have occupied 610 E. 3rd are William Sydney Porter.
Identification: AR.2001.001
Quantity: .4 linear feet (2 boxes)
Location: Archives stacks
Language: The records are in English.
Repository: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library,
810 Guadalupe, , PO BOX 2287, , Austin, TX 78768

Creator Note

The Austin History Center first acquired the D. C. Freeman House records by donation from Joseph Powell "Bix" Barentine III, a Texas Lawyer and the last owner of the historic 19th century home at 610 East 3rd Street in Austin, Texas. Barentine later donated the "Waterloo Compound" scrapbook that chronicled the history of the entire 600 East 3rd Street block. The building at 610 East 3rd Street is named after D.C. Freeman, who acquired the property from the State of Texas in 1853, and is thus the earliest known owner of the home. Various residents occupied building and adjacent properties on the lot encompassing the 600 block of East 3rd over the course of the property's long history. Among those tenants were Andrew A. Agnew, a prominent Austin printer, William Sydney Porter, known by his nom-de-plume O. Henry, and Peter G. Roach, the legal guardian of Porter's wife Athol Esters. Barentine acquired the home in 1979 from Roger S. Hanks and William B. Houston. Shortly thereafter, the City of Austin required Barentine to begin repairing the structure and grounds. In the early 1980s, Austin's Department of Parks and Recreation took up correspondence with the owners and residents of the 600 block regarding plans for construction of a bike path. Barentine was the last resident at 610 East 3rd, which burnt in September of 1983. The Waterloo Compound got its name because it an original groupings of some of the oldest commercial buildings in Austin located where the Waterloo settlement was established. In 1966 the store that was located on the corner of of East 3rd and Red River Streets originally owned by the Hofheinz family was purchased and restored and became Waterloo Compound Antiques and Interiors. This would be the first of several buildings on the block that were restored for commercial use and would be known as the Waterloo Compound from the 1960s through 2000.


Scope and Contents

The D. C. Freeman House records and Waterloo Compound Scrapbook consist of legal and financial documents, letters, short historical narratives, photographs and captions, and photographic negatives documenting the ownership, tenancy, historic preservation, and city planning issues concerning the house at 610 East 3rd Street, Waterloo Compound, and the 600 block of East 3rd Street, in Austin, Texas (1857-2001).

The D. C. Freeman House series (1857-2001) consists of legal and financial documents, letters, short historical narratives, and photographic negatives documenting the ownership, tenancy, and city planning issues concerning the house at 610 East 3rd Street, and the 600 block of East 3rd Street, in Austin, Texas. The bulk of the records, which stem from 1978-82, are financial records of and letters to Joseph Powell Barentine III concerning the renovation and ownership of the Freeman (D.C.) House, as well as the City of Austin's plans for park development on sections of Barentine's property.

The Waterloo Compound Scrapbook series (1965-2015) consists of captioned photographs, a historical narrative, and a Historic Preservation Commission documentation package concerning Waterloo Compound, as the grouping of historic commercial buildings located at the corner of Red River and East 3rd Street was known, and the 600 block of East 3rd Street. The photographs and captions, which stem from 1970-1983, document the Waterloo Compound Antique Shop and the restoration of the houses and commercial buildings on the 600 block.


Arrangement

Collection is arranged into two series:


  • The D. C. Freeman House Records
    • Legal documents
    • City planning and property management
    • Financial documents
    • Historical narratives
    • Photographic materials
  • The Waterloo Compound Scrapbook
    • Photographs and captions
    • Historic Preservation Commission documentation package

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

Open to all users.

Restrictions on Use

The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.
Persons:
Agnew, Andrew A.
Barentine, Joseph Powell, III.
Bohn, Walter.
Ehrler, Leonard, Jr.
Fletcher, Mabel L. Walker.
Hanks, Roger S.
Houston, William B.
Jackson, John.
McClellan, Carole.
Meyer, K.R.
Henry, O., 1862-1910.
Roach, Peter G.
Roach-Hofer, Effie V.
Wright, Ben.
Organizations:
Capitol City Abstract Co.
City of Austin--Building Department.
Gracy Title Company.
Herrera Ornamental Iron Works.
Q.S. Demolishing Company.
Waterloo Compound Antique Shop.
Places:
Austin (Tex.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
3rd Street E. 600 (Austin (Tex.).
3rd Street E. 600 1/2 (Austin (Tex.).
3rd Street E. 602 (Austin (Tex.).
3rd Street E. 604 (Austin (Tex.).
3rd Street E. 606 (Austin (Tex.).
3rd Street E. 608 (Austin (Tex.).
3rd Street E. 610 (Austin (Tex.).
3rd Street E. 612 (Austin (Tex.).
Red River 305 (Austin (Tex.).
Subjects:
Architecture--Texas--Austin.
City planning--Texas--Austin.
Historic buildings--Texas--Austin.
Historic preservation--Texas--Austin.
Parks and Recreation--Texas--Austin.
Document Types:
Legal documents.
Correspondence.
Financial documents.
Narrative reports.
Photocopied cartographic materials.
Color photographs.
Black-and-white negatives.

Related Material

House Building Files - 3rd Street, East 600-608


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

D. C. Freeman House Records and Waterloo Compound Scrapbook (AR.2001.001). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.

Acquisition Information

Donor #: DO/1980/058

Donation Date: 2001 April 16 and 2001 May 2; 2017 September.

Processing Information

Processing Information: Initial Inventory and Preliminary Processing By/Date: Rebecca Rich-Wulfmeyer, May 2001; Final Processing and Finding Aid By/Date: Stephen Naron, February 22, 2002; Encoded By: Lauren Waelder, 2014 May. Updated by Mara West in 2017

The D. C. Freeman House records had no original order and were arranged by document type upon accession.

The Waterloo Compound Scrapbook was disassembled and foldered in its original order.


Detailed Description of the Collection

The D. C. Freeman House, 1857-2002

Legal Documents, 1857-1989
Box Folder
1 1 Abstract of title, 1857-1943
2 Abstract of title, 1943-1959
3 Warranty deed, 1978-1989
Barentine's legal documents concerning titles and warranty deed.
City Planning and Property Management, 1978-1983
Box Folder
1 4 Demolition, 1978-1983
Letters, contracts documenting property management and Austin city planning.
5 Revitalization, 1979-1983
Letters, photocopied city zoning maps documenting Austin revitalization planning.
6 Revitalization, 1979-1980
Financial Documents, 1982
Box Folder
1 7 Tax receipts, 1982
Historical Narratives, 1892-1982
Box Folder
1 8 History of ownership, 1892-2002
Chronological sketch of owners/tenants of 600 East 3rd Street property.
9 History of ownership II, 1982
Chronological sketch of owners of 603 East 3rd Street.
10 Tenancy block 35, 1982-2002
Chronological sketch of owners of 600 block of East 3rd Street property.
Photographic materials, 1979
Box Folder
1 11 Contact sheet, 1979
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W Neg. Drawer Black-and-white negatives, 1979



Waterloo Compound Scrapbook, 1965-2015

Box Folder
2 1-2 Photographs with captions, 1965-2003
Includes a short narrative historical sketch concerning Waterloo Compound.
3 Historic Preservation Commission documentation package 2015 September