Austin History Center

Texas Blind, Deaf and Orphan School Architectural Drawings

An Inventory of the Collection



Overview of the Collection

Creator: Texas Department of Transportation
Title: Texas Blind, Deaf and Orphan School Architectural Drawings
Inclusive Dates: 1929-1972
Abstract: The Texas Blind, Deaf, and Orphan School, a state institution for African American children, was located on a hundred-acre tract on Bull Creek Road between 38th and 45th streets in Austin, Texas (now 4104 Bull Creek Road). It was established as the Deaf, Dumb, and Blind Institute for Colored Youth in 1887 by the Texas Eighteenth Legislature. The collection contains eight sets of drawings for additional buildings or improvements to the campus and three plot plans dating from 1929 to 1972.
Identification: AR.2013.036
Quantity: 1 flat file drawer (63 drawings)
Location: Architectural Archives
Language: The records are in English.
Repository: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, 810 Guadalupe, PO BOX 2287, Austin, TX 78768

Administrative History

The Texas Blind, Deaf, and Orphan School, a state institution for African American children, was located on a hundred-acre tract on Bull Creek Road between 38th and 45th streets in Austin, Texas. It was established as the Deaf, Dumb, and Blind Institute for Colored Youth in 1887 by the Texas Eighteenth Legislature. The initial campus consisted only of an eleven-room residence, but in 1888 a new two-story brick building was added to provide more classroom and dormitory space. In 1919 the school was placed under the jurisdiction of the newly created Texas Board of Control. The Main Building (Administration building) was built in 1923-1924 by C. H. Page, Sr. Various additions and renovations took place during the next several decades; by the 1940s the school had twelve brick buildings and one stone building, including dormitories, classrooms, hospital, superintendent's residence, and dining room. Instruction at the accredited high school included both academic and practical subjects with a focus on industry. Among the courses offered were manual labor, broom making, mattress making, shoemaking and repair, tailoring, cleaning and pressing, cooking, sewing, rug making, and other handicrafts. When the State Colored Orphans' Home was combined with the institute in 1943, the name of the facility was changed to Texas Blind, Deaf, and Orphan School. In 1960 the school moved to 601 Airport Boulevard. The original Bull Creek site was acquired by the Texas Board of Mental Health and Mental Retardation, and in 1988 the State Department of Highways and Public Transportation (now Texas Department of Transportation) was deeded the land.

Source: Adapted from James W. Markham, "TEXAS BLIND, DEAF, AND ORPHAN SCHOOL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kct17), accessed November 15, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.


Scope and Contents

The collection contains eight sets of drawings for additional buildings or improvements to the campus and three plot plans dating from 1929 to 1972. New buildings include: dining hall (1929), hospital (1931), dormitory building (1936), trades building (circa 1938) and shop building (undated) by Giesecke & Harris; pre-vocational training unit building (1967) by Barnes, Landes, Goodman and Youngblood; improvements to the grounds (1937)and a mattress and broom factory (1945) by the State Board of Control, Engineering Division. The collection also contains several plot plans of campus buildings (1945, 1956, undated).


Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

Open to all users.

Restrictions on Use

The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.
Organizations:
Texas. Blind, Deaf, and Orphan School.
Deaf, Dumb, and Blind Institute for Colored Youth.
Places:
Austin (Tex.)
4254 Bull Creek Road (Austin, Tex.).
Subjects:
African Americans--Texas--Austin--History.
Handicapped children--Education--Texas.
Historic buildings--Texas--Austin.
Historic sites--Texas--Austin.

Related Material

Architectural Archives


  • AR.2009.029 C. H. Page & Son Drawings and Records - original administrative building (1923-1925)
  • AR.2009.036 Charles Coatsworth Pinkney Drawings - landscape (1961)
  • AR.2009.024 Hugo Franz Kuehne Records and Drawings - superintendent's residence (1937)

General Collection


  • A 371.91 TE Texas. Blind, Deaf, and Orphan School. Catalogue and Announcements of the Texas Deaf and Dumb and Blind Institute for Colored Youths, Austin, Texas, 1933-1938.
  • A 725.53 IN Benn, Renee. Intensive Survey Report, Austin State Hospital, City of Austin, Texas. 2009.

Austin Files


  • AF House/Building Bull Creek Road, 4250
  • Texas - Blind, Deaf, and Orphan School T1200


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Texas Blind, Deaf and Orphan School Architectural Drawings (AR.2013.036). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.

Acquisition Information

Donor #: DO/1992/064

Donation Date: 2013

Processing Information

Finding aid created and encoded by Molly Hults in 2013.


Detailed Description of the Collection

Architectural drawings, 1929-1967

See Architectural Archives database for access to the drawings.
Project name: Dining Hall
Date on drawings: 1929
Primary archt/firm: Giesecke and Harris
Project name: Hospital Building
Date on drawings: 1931
Primary archt/firm: Giesecke and Harris
Project name: Dormitory Building
Date on drawings: 1936
Primary archt/firm: Giesecke and Harris
Project name: Hospital Building
Date on drawings: 1931
Primary archt/firm: Giesecke and Harris
Project name: Trades Building
Date on drawings: circa 1938
Primary archt/firm: Giesecke and Harris
Project name: Shop Building
Date on drawings: undated
Primary archt/firm: Giesecke and Harris
Project name: Improvements to Grounds
Date on drawings: 1937
Primary archt/firm: Metcalfe Engineering Co.
Project name: Mattress and Broom Factory
Date on drawings: 1945
Primary archt/firm: State Board of Control, Engineering Division
Project name: Pre-vocational Training Unit
Date on drawings: 1967
Primary archt/firm: Barnes Landes Goodman Youngblood



Plot Plans and Building Layouts, 1956, 1972

See Architectural Archives database for access to the drawings.
Project name: Building Layout
Date on drawings: 1956
Primary archt/firm: Board for Texas State Hospitals and Special Schools, Design and Construction Division
Project name: Plot Plan
Date on drawings: circa 1972
Primary archt/firm: Texas Department of Health and Mental Retardation, Design and Construction Division
Project name: Building Layout
Date on drawings: undated
Primary archt/firm: State Board of Control, Engineering Department