Contact Us
Texas Archival Resources Online

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Overview of the Collection

Administrative History

Scope and Contents

Arrangement

Restrictions

Index Terms

Related Material

Administrative Information

Description of Series

I. Office Files, 1946-1970s

II. Project Files, 1940, 1963-1995

III. Architectural Drawings, 1941-1985

Austin History Center

Fehr & Granger and Emerson Fehr Drawings and Records

An Inventory to the Collection



Overview of the Collection

Creator: Fehr & Granger
Title: Fehr & Granger and Emerson Fehr Drawings and Records
Inclusive Dates: 1940-1995
Bulk Dates: 1941-1985
Abstract: Fehr & Granger was an Austin, Texas architectural firm founded by Arthur Fehr and Charles Granger, Jr. in 1946 and was active in the central Texas area until 1972. The firm changed names several times after the deaths of both Fehr and Granger in the 1960s, ultimately settling with the name Emerson Fehr after R. Don Emerson (a former associate with Fehr & Granger) and Kilian Fehr (Arthur Fehr's son). The collection contains approximately 418 sets of drawings (5882 sheets) and well as publicity and marketing materials and a limited amount of project files dating from 1941 to 1985.
Identification: AR.2009.014
Quantity: 5.8 linear feet (7 boxes) and 30 flat file drawers (approximately 5900 drawings)
Location: Architectural Archives, Outer Vault
Language: The records are in English.
Repository: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library,  810 Guadalupe,  PO BOX 2287,  Austin, TX 78768

Administrative History

Arthur Fehr was born in Austin, Texas in 1904. He graduated from the University of Texas with a Bachelor of Science in Architecture in 1925. He went on to perform graduate work at Columbia University, Beaux Arts Institute of Design and New York University. After some international travel and working for Kenneth Murchison in New York City and Harvey P. Smith in San Antonio, Texas Fehr went to work for the National Park Service at the Bastrop (Texas) State Park in 1934. In 1937 he received his first commission, the First English Lutheran Church, and opened his own office as an independent architect. A year later he hired Charles Granger, Jr., whom he had met while working for the National Park Service, as an associate. During World War II the practice was closed and Fehr worked as an architectural engineer with the War Department. In 1946 Fehr and Granger reopened the practice as partners and Fehr headed the firm until his death in 1969.

Charles Granger, Jr., born in 1913, was also an Austin, Texas native. He graduated from the University of Texas with a Bachelor of Science in Architecture in 1936. While in school he worked as student draftsman at Bastrop State Park where he met Arthur Fehr. After graduation Granger worked briefly with Richard Neutra in Los Angeles before returning to Austin and joining Fehr in his practice as an associate. During World War II Granger went to work in the Engineering Division of Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation. In 1944 he was granted a Fellowship at Cranbrook Academy of Art and earned his Master of Arts in Architecture and Urban Design in 1946. He remained in Michigan and worked briefly for Saarinen and Swanson before returning to Austin to open the partnership Fehr & Granger. Granger's design sensibilities were shaped by his time working with Richard Neutra and the modernist Eliel Saarinen and brought his modern ideas back to Austin. Granger remained active the firm until his death in a car accident in 1966.

Fehr & Granger, known for their "progressive" or modern design style that paid attention to the local environment, designed a wide range of buildings, including schools, medical clinics, churches, residence, multiple unit housing projects, industrial and commercial developments, office buildings and recreational buildings. The firm experienced steady growth during the 1950s and 1960s with Fehr concentrating on the administrative side of the business and Granger in charge of the drafting room. The firm received state and national recognition for their designs including the Progressive Architecture magazine Design Merit Award for the Cleveland Clinic (Austin; 1947); Texas Architecture magazine, State Fair of Texas, Award of Merit for the Sneed residence (Austin; 1953);Texas Architecture magazine, State Fair of Texas, Award of Merit for the O. Henry Junior High School (Austin; 1954); Texas Architecture magazine, State Fair of Texas, Award of Merit for the Clifton Hall, Texas Lutheran College (Seguin; 1953); and the Progressive Architecture magazine Design Award for the Robert Mueller Municipal Airport terminal building (Austin; 1959). Other designs that received recognition were: St. Stephen's Episcopal School Chapel (Austin; 1954), Westwood County Club (Austin; 1960), Albert Sidney Johnston High School (Austin; 1962), and the chapel at Episcopal Seminary of the Southwest (Austin; 1965).

R. Don Emerson joined Fehr & Granger in 1959. He was born in Houston, Texas in 1933. He graduated from Texas A&M with a degree in Architecture in 1957. Emerson left the firm in 1966, after Granger's death, and opened his own firm.

After Granger's death in 1966 Fehr retained the firm's name Fehr & Granger and continued the firm as a proprietorship with Fehr as the sole owner. After Fehr's death in 1969 Don Emerson returned to the firm along with Arthur Fehr's son, Kilian Fehr, who was working for the Houston firm CRS when his father died. Soon after, the firm changed the name to Fehr Granger & Emerson. Charles Chartier Newton was made partner in the firm in 1972 and the name was changed to Emerson Fehr Newton. When Newton left to open his own practice in the mid-1970s, Newton was dropped from the name.

Return to the Table of Contents


Scope and Contents

The collection spans the years 1941 through 1985 and contains drawings, project files and marketing and publicity materials from the firms Fehr & Granger; Fehr, Granger & Emerson; Emerson Fehr Newton; and Emerson Fehr. The "Listing of Jobs" provided by the donor indicates that these firms undertook more than one thousand projects. The Office Files series (1946-1973, undated) consists mainly of publicity and marketing materials and includes photographic materials representing thirty-five of these projects. A few of these files also include magazine articles about the structures. In addition there are photographs of an Austin Chapter of the American Institute of Architecture award ceremony. The Project Files series (1940, 1963-1995, undated) contains a list of all the job numbers and clients and a limited amount of project files. The Architectural Drawings series (1941-1985, undated) contains approximately 418 sets of drawings (5900 sheets). Although commercial and residential drawings make up over half the drawings represented, ecclesiastical and education projects, which total about one quarter of the collection, are what Fehr & Granger were most well known for.

Drawings and photographs for many of their award winning projects are included: Cleveland Clinic (Austin; 1947); O. Henry Junior High School (Austin; 1954) chapel at St. Stephen's Episcopal School (Austin; 1954), Westwood County Club (Austin; 1960), Albert Sidney Johnston High School (Austin; 1962), chapel at Episcopal Seminary of the Southwest (Austin; 1965); and First Presbyterian Church (Austin; 1975). Also of interest are photographs and drawings for one of the houses used for publicity for the movie Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House.

Return to the Table of Contents


 

Arrangement

Arranged into two series:
I. Office Files
II. Project Files
III. Architectural Drawings

Return to the Table of Contents


Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

Open to all users.

Restrictions on Use

None.

Return to the Table of Contents


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.
Persons:
Blum, Herman.
Crume, Herbert C.
Emerson, R. Don.
Fehr, Arthur.
Fehr, Kilian.
Granger, Charles, Jr.
Nagel, Chester E.
Newton, Chartier.
Pendley, Claude M.
Walling, George.
Wright, George.
Zapalac, George.
Organizations:
Edward Durell Stone.
Emerson Fehr.
Emerson Fehr Newton.
Fehr & Granger.
Fehr Granger & Emerson.
Places:
Austin (Tex.)
Subjects:
Architecture--Texas--Austin.
Document Types:
Architectural drawings.
Photographs.

Return to the Table of Contents


Related Material

Austin Files


  • AF Biography: Fehr, Arthur
  • AF Biography: Granger, Charles, Jr.
  • AF Subject: Architects-Fehr & Granger A5600 (1)

Archives and Manuscripts


  • AR.2013.011 Arthur Fehr Drawings and Records - this collection contains the pre-World War II drawings of Arthur Fehr and Charles Granger as well as some promotional materials about Fehr & Granger.
  • AR.2009.023 Rex Kitchen Records - local contractor
  • AR.2012.030 Chartier Newton Drawings

Architectural Archives


  • Microfilm - Daybooks of Arthur Fehr, Architect for Bastrop State Park Film-008
  • AD-194 Municipal Airport, 1974 R-194

Additional Fehr & Granger drawings and photographic materials are archived at the University of Texas Alexander Architectural Archives.

Return to the Table of Contents


Administrative Information

Custodial History

Donated by a member of Emerson Fehr.

Preferred Citation

Fehr & Granger and Emerson Fehr Records and Drawings (AR.2009.014). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.

Acquisition Information

Donor #: DO/2000/010

Donation Date: 2000

Processing Information

Finding aid created and encoded by Molly Hults in 2013. Drawings cataloged by Ida Scott in 2005-2010, Toni Thomasson 2011-2012 and Molly Hults 2013.

Return to the Table of Contents


Detailed Description of the Collection

 

I. Office Files, 1946-1970s

Publicity and Marketing Files, 1946-1973, undated
Box Folder
3 1 Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority House (FG-215), undated
19 photographs (2 mounted)
2 Austin City Coliseum (FG-306), circa 1949
2 photographs and 2 presentation drawings
3 Austin Independent School District - Becker School (FG-239), 1953, undated
10 photographs and a Progressive Architecture magazine article
4 Austin Independent School District - O. Henry Jr. High (FG-446), 1955, undated
9 photographs (4 mounted) and Brick and Tile magazine article
Box Folder
6 1 Austin National Bank Drive-In (FG-860), 1964
1 photograph
Box Folder
4 3 Barclay residence (FG-498), undated
1 mounted photograph
Box Folder
6 2 Bastrop State Park, undated
6 photographs
3 Cleveland Clinic (FG-208), undated
3 photographs and a Progressive Architecture magazine article
Box Folder
4 1 Blandings "Dream House" (FG-326), undated
7 photographs
Box
2 Brace residence (AF-120), 1946
10 mounted photographs
The drawings of the original residence are archived in collection AR.2013.011 (AF-120).
Box Folder
4 2 Bread residence (FG-336), 1953, undated
5 photographs and Progressive Architect article
4 Brown Schools/Hillview (FG-680), undated
2 photographs (1 mounted)
5 Christ Lutheran Church (FG-220), 1957, undated
9 photographs (1 mounted) and magazine article
Box
1 Darnall residence (FG-167), 1946
10 mounted photographs
The drawings of this residence are archived in collection AR.2013.011
Box Folder
6 4 Darnall residence (FG-167), undated
5 photographs
5 Daugherty residence (FG-440; FG-688; FG-760), undated
1 photograph
Box Folder
4 6 Delta Gamma Sorority House (FG-169; FG-626; FG-660; FG-828), undated
3 photographs
Box
2 Episcopal Theological Seminary of the Southwest apartments (FG-749), undated
1 photograph
Box Folder
4 7 Episcopal Theological Seminary of the Southwest apartments (FG-513), undated
14 photographs (2 mounted)
9 Fehr & Granger office building (FG-515), undated
3 mounted photographs
8 First Southern Presbyterian Church, undated
2 photographs (1 mounted)
Box Folder
6 6 Granger residence (CG-0002), undated
1 photograph
Box
1 Gregg House - All Saints' Episcopal Chapel (FG-485), undated
1 photograph
Box Folder
4 10 Gregg House - All Saints' Episcopal Chapel (FG-485), undated
2 mounted photographs
11 James residence (FG-5401), undated
2 mounted photographs
Box
1 Keel residence (CG-110; FG-481), circa 1946
4 mounted photographs
The drawings of the original residence are archived in collection AR.2013.011 (CG-110); addition drawings archived with this collection (FG-481).
Box Folder
6 7 Keel residence (CG-110; FG-481), circa 1946
2photographs
The drawings of the original residence are archived in collection AR.2013.011 (CG-110); addition drawings archived with this collection (FG-481).
Box Folder
4 12 Kreisle Clinic, circa 1952
1 mounted photograph
Box
2 Lawrence residence (CG-113; FG-391), 1946
5 mounted photographs
The drawings of the original residence are archived in collection AR.2013.011 (CG-113); addition drawings archived with this collection (FG-391).
Box Folder
5 8 Medical Park Tower construction photograph, 1967
1 Mueller Municipal Airport (EF-0001, FG-986), circa 1961, 1973
11 photograph (3 mounted)
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W negatives drawer Negatives, undated
Box Folder
5 2 Northway Crest Business Center, circa 1950s
2 mounted presentation drawings
Box Folder
6 8 Price residence (EF-10140, undated
31 photographs
9 Rockford Center (EF-1127), undated
16 photographs
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault Color negatives drawer Negatives, undated
Box
1 St. Elmo-tel (AF-157; FG-358), circa 1946
10 mounted photographs
The drawings of the original structure are archived in collection AR.2013.011 (AF-157); addition drawings archived with this collection (FG-358).
Box Folder
6 10 St. Elmo-tel (AF-157; FG-358), circa 1946
3 photographs
The drawings of the original structure are archived in collection AR.2013.011 (AF-157); addition drawings archived with this collection (FG-358).
Box Folder
5 3 St. Stephen's School (FG-486, FG-538), undated
12 photographs (3 mounted)
4 Texas State Insurance Building (FG-690), undated
2 photographs (1 mounted)
Box Folder
6 11 Sneed residence, undated
4 photograph and a Texas Architect magazine article
12 Swiedom duplex (AF-142), undated
1 mounted photograph
The drawings of the original structure are archived in collection AR.2013.011 (AF-142)
Box Folder
5 5 Texas State School for Deaf (FG-551), 1961, undated
1 photograph and an Architectural Record magazine article
Box Folder
6 13 Thurmond Heights Apartments - Project TX-011 (FG-966), circa 1970s
2 photographs and 15 page booklet describing the project (that includes additional photographs)
Box
2 Trinity Lutheran Church - Fort Worth (FG-510), undated
1 mounted photograph
Box Folder
5 6 Trinity Lutheran Church - Fort Worth (FG-510), circa 1950s
1 photograph and 2 mounted presentation drawings
Box Folder
6 14 Westgate Tower (FG-847), circa 1964-1966
18 photographs
Box Folder
5 7 Westwood County Club (FG-591), undated
8 photographs (2 mounted)
Box Folder
6 15 Project photo album, undated
39 photographs of structures, presentations drawings and design models of various projects
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault Color negatives drawers Negatives, undated
Box Folder
6 16 Staff and office photographs, undated
16 photographs of Fehr & Granger staff and office buildings
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W and Color negatives drawers Negatives, undated
Box Folder
6 17-18 Unidentified photographs, undated
Awards, circa 1970s
Box Folder
7 9 Austin Chapter American Institute of Architects award presentation, circa 1970s
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W drawer Negatives, circa 1970s

Return to the Table of Contents




 

II. Project Files, 1940, 1963-1995

Box Folder
7 1 Austin Independent School District- Lanier High School (FG-824), 1964, undated
2 Burger residence (FG-781), 1940, 1963
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W Negatives drawer Negative, 1940
Box Folder
7 8 Geodesic dome construction photographs), undated
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W Negatives drawer Negative, undated
Box Folder
7 3 Lyons residence (FG-972), 1971
4 Redeemer Lutheran Church (FG-762), 1963
5 Store renovation - 222 W. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard (EF-1071; EF-1077), 1977
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W Negative drawer Presentation drawings (negatives), 1966, undated
Box Folder
7 6 Listing of jobs by job number, 1995
7 Listing of jobs by client, 1987
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W Negative drawer Aerial photographic images (Texas School for the Deaf, Texas Lutheran College (Seguin) and unidentified), 1966, undated

Return to the Table of Contents




 

III. Architectural Drawings, 1941-1985

Please see AR.2013.011 for pre-World War II architectural drawings by Arthur Fehr and Charles Granger
Location
Architectural Archives flat files Drawings, 1941-1985, undated
View an index of the architectural drawings here.

Return to the Table of Contents