TABLE OF CONTENTS
Adele Zedler Papers
An Inventory of the Collection
Adele Louise Weymouth Zedler was born to Lucy and Wilfred Weymouth on December 31, 1920, in Dallas, Texas. She graduated from Rockford High School in Rockford, Illinois; Coe College in Cedar Rapids, Iowa; and the University of Wisconsin Law School in Madison. Adele married Dr. Garland Gus Zedler on January 19, 1946. The couple moved to Austin in 1949 where Dr. Zedler opened a radiology practice.
Zedler was active with the Girl Scouts of America, the Seton Hospital Auxiliary and the Texas Medical Association Auxiliary. In addition, she audited courses at the University of Texas Law School and passed the Texas Bar Exam.
Dr. Zedler died in 1971. Adele Zedler died on May 2, 2000.
The papers, dated from 1950 to 1970, highlight Adele's community involvement, her University of Texas Law School career and everyday household financial transactions. A membership roster and cards, correspondence, and invoices document the Zedler's participation in the Westwood Country Club, Austin Cerebral Palsy Center, Kiwanis Club, Headliners Club, Travis County Medical Society and the Texas Medical Association Auxiliary. Legal papers, correspondence, reference materials and a photograph of the April 1968 Grand Jury chronicle Zedler's experience on the April Term, 1968, Grand Jury. Also included are a University of Texas School of Law 1956-1958 catalogue, class schedules, student directory and class directory from Zedler's time auditing UT law classes. Everyday household expenses in the 1950s are documented by the inclusion of receipts from a wide variety of Austin businesses, taxing agencies, utility companies and airline companies, including the now defunct Braniff International Airways and Trans Texas Airways. In addition there is an ink drawing of Alline Burch Gilbert (Austin resident), the connection to the Zedlers is unknown.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
Donated by the daughter of the creator.
Adele Zedler Papers (AR.2002.022). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/2001/027
Donation Date: 2002, 2003, 2007
Collection processed and finding aid encoded by Molly Hults in 2012.