Travis County Bar Association Records
An Inventory of the Collection
The Travis County Bar Association (now the Austin Bar Association) was founded in 1893 as a nonprofit professional organization for attorneys. Its mission is to promote professionalism and camaraderie within the legal community, to aid in the administration of justice, to enhance the delivery of and access to quality legal services, to educate the public about the legal system, and to actively participate in the success of the community at large. The name was changed from Travis County Bar Association to Austin Bar Association in 2004. The Bar Association is also affiliated with the Austin Young Lawyers Association, the Lawyer Referral Service and Volunteer Legal Services.
Board of Directors correspondence, the "Travis County Bar Association Directors' Book", financial records, committee records and event flyers in this collection highlight the activities of the Travis County Bar Association (TCBA) from 1976 to 1981. The administrative records and correspondence document the goals of the 1980-1981 Board of Directors. Also included are materials relating to the revision of the TCBA Constitution and By-Laws by the Constitution and By-Laws Commie in 1976-1977 as well as administrative and financial records of Austin Lawyers Care and the Lawyer Referral Service dated 1980 and 1981.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
Materials were donated by a member of the Travis County Bar Association.
Travis County Bar Association (AR.1992.020). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1992/073
Donation Date: 1990
Collection arranged and finding aid created by Molly Hults/2011.
Detailed Description of the Collection