TABLE OF CONTENTS
The Woman's Parliament Records
An Inventory of the Collection
The announcement for the new luncheon club, the Woman's Parliament, was printed in the Austin-Statesman in December of 1927. The purpose of the club was the "serious study of parliamentary law" and the first meeting was held in 1928 at the Stephen F. Austin Hotel. The club was to have limited membership and was by invitation only. The charter members of the club were Mesdames E. G. Bischoff, president; R. A. Buford, W. T. Caswell, W. G. Franklin, Ireland Graves, J. H. Hart, Clause Hill, Earle B. Mayfield, W. E. McCaleb, Howard Osborn, Dalton Richardson, J. W. Rutland, E. H. Sellards, Roy Slaughter, Sam J. Smith, Summerfield Taylor and D. K. Woodward, Jr. The organization was an independent organization until 1952 when it affiliated with the National Parliamentarians, Inc.
The three scrapbooks were assembled to document the history of the Woman's Parliament and span the years 1927-1974 and 1985-1993. The scrapbooks contain the annual club yearbooks that list the members and programs for the year, photographs of the club president and events and newspaper articles referencing the group's activities or the activities of one of its members. Additional materials include minute books dating from 1939-1948 and 1974-1981, membership lists for the years 1977-1979, yearbooks for various years from 1965-1973 and 1991-1997 and a few cards from the 1970s, 1981 and 1994.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
The Woman's Parliament (AR.1994.038). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1996/030
Donation Date: 2001
Finding aid created and encoded by Molly Hults/2010.