Arthur O. Watson Photographs and Drawings
An Inventory to the Collection
Arthur O. Watson, 1864-1935, attended Texas A&M College in the early 1880s and was a member of an early graduating class. He then moved to Austin after completing school and practiced in a partnership with Jacob L. Larmour. He was a 20 year member of the Texas State Association of Architects and in 1908 he served as secretary-treasurer of the organization.
Much of Watson's work was awarded in competitions for state buildings and county courthouse contracts throughout Texas. His projects included at least five county courthouses and a number of asylums and penal buildings.
Watson's most impressive Austin projects included All Saints' Episcopal Chapel (1899) located at 27th and Whitis Streets, the Caswell-Bickler House (1900) at 1404 West Avenue and Austin High School (1900) located at 9th and Trinity Streets which burned in 1956.
The Photographs series consists of negatives, slides, oversized photographic prints, drawings of several Texas County Courthouses and the Main Building at A&M College. Each item has been marked with the call number assigned to that particular project. The corresponding drawings for each project do not necessarily exist within the Architectural Archives.
The Drawings series consists of a set of 11 drawings for an auditorium & gymnasium and watercolors of a commercial building, a school building and three courthouses (Lamar County, Milam County and one unidentified).
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
Items donated by Arthur Pope Watson, Jr.
Arthur O. Watson Records (AR.2009.039). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1986/099
Donation Date: 1987
Finding aid created by Tim Wilder/1992, updated by Molly Hults/2010 and Kathryn Garvey/2012.
Detailed Description of the Collection