TABLE OF CONTENTS
Austin National Bank Photograph Collection
An Inventory of the Collection
The Austin National Bank was founded in 1890 with the first meeting held on April 15 at the Driskill Hotel to formally adopt the Articles of Association, sign the organization certificate, pay in the required fifty per cent of the stock, and the election of directors. The bank opened in a space in the Hancock Building on June 16, 1890. The first officers were C. W. Gilfillan as President, Walter Tips and Henry Hirshfeld as Vice-Presidents, H.P. Hilliard as cashier and W. L. Gilfillan as assistant cashier. Within the first months Dr. E. P. Wilmot took over the job as bank president.
By 1895 the bank outgrew its quarters and moved to a new office space at 507 Congress. The growth of the bank was constant and when space became an issue again the bank bought the building it occupied as well as the building next door and razed the structure and built a new building. In January 1930 the bank occupied its new home.
The Austin National Bank expanded its quarters again in 1947-48 with extensive renovations to the existing building. The next time the bank was ready to expand it opened the Austin National Drive-In Bank on the corner of East Fifth and Brazos Streets in 1956. Seventeen years later the bank location on 6th and Congress was demolished to make way for a 25-story bank tower which was opened in 1975.
The Austin National Bank merged with First International Bancshares, Inc in 1981 and adopted the InterFirst Bank name. At the time this was the largest merger in Texas banking history.
The 91 photographs in this collection were taken in 1947 and 1948 and document the renovations the bank was undergoing at the time. Employees of the bank and the construction process are both represented in the photos.
The photographs in this collection were originally assembled in a scrapbook. When the arrangement of the photographs in the scrapbook could be determined a photocopy of the page was created and added to the collection.
The textual materials consist of a program announcing “the newly enlarged quarters of the Austin National Bank” and 2 letters.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
Standard copyright laws apply.
Scrapbook was found in an estate sale and donated to the Austin History Center. Original owner of the scrapbook is unknown.
Austin National Bank Photograph Collection (AR.2009.049). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1995/004
Donation Date: 2009
Final Processing and Finding Aid By/Date: Molly Hults/2009 July 21