John Linn Scott and Associates Records and Drawings
An Inventory to the Collection
John Linn Scott was born in Franklin, Texas on April 26, 1917. The son of educators, he spent school years in East Texas and summers in Austin during his formative years.
After graduating from high school in Buffalo, Texas, Scott entered the University of Texas at Austin in the summer of 1934. Pursuing a course of study in architecture, he was deeply influenced by Werner Dornberger, Goldwyn Goldsmith, and Robert Leon White. His progress under their direction was rapid and he passed the professional exam to become a Registered Architect in 1938 before completing his schooling. In 1939, Scott entered into partnership with engineer Elmer Shingle to form Shingle and Scott. He started the firm of John Linn Scott, Architect in 1940 before receiving his Bachelor of Science in Architectural Engineering from the university on August 25, 1941.
After serving as a lieutenant in the Navy during World War II, Scott returned to Austin to build up his practice with the help of his wife, Elmira Sauberon Scott, who served as an architect and office manager for the firm. In 1949, he was remarried to Jean Smith Elvins.
The firm was recognized as John Linn Scott and Associates in 1952 and became an influential force in Texas architecture in the following years. Institutional architecture was the firm's specialty, with a focus on schools, hospitals, and state office projects. Following pragmatic design criteria was the byword and the emphasis on utility and function in these projects is indicative of the general architectural trends on the 1950s and 1960s.
Scott formed strong professional and political ties throughout his career and maintained an active role in civic affairs. His death of cancer on August 3, 1970 saddened many in Texas and distinguished leaders such as Governor John Connally, Representative Jake Pickle, and Mayor Roy Butler served among his honorary pall bearers.
This collection consists of project support documents and architectural drawings. The Project Files series documents the more noteworthy projects and contains correspondence, change orders, estimates, specifications and contracts. These are arranged by alphabetical order since the preliminary order of this collection was arranged likewise.
The Financial Records series contains a small amount of financial records for John Linn and Frances Scott and the architectural firm. The Photographs series contains eight photographs of potential high school and hospital projects.
The Drawings series contains approximately 1300 drawings representing over 100 projects dating from the mid-1940s to 1970. The majority of the drawings represent institutional projects such as government buildings, schools, hospitals, housing projects, churches and commericial buildings. The most significant public building projects are the drawings for renovations to the Texas Capitol Building in the 1960s and Texas Employment Commission office buildings across the state. Also included are the Newton Memorial Hospital in Cameron, TX, the San Saba County Hospital, the Torbett-Hutchings-Smith Memorial Hospital in Marlin, TX, the University of Texas at Austin Jester Center and Brown Elementary School in Austin, TX.
The Drawings series also includes 41 residential projects. Among the residential drawings is the home Governor and Mrs. Connally in Floresville, Texas dated 1963.
Restrictions on Access
Restrictions on Use
The collection was donated by Erich J. Noack on July 10, 1985.
John Linn Scott Records (AR.2009.033). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1985/082
Donation Date: 1985
Finding aid was prepared by Tim Wilder in 1991. Finding aid was updated by Kathryn Garvey in 2012.
Finding aid was encoded by Evan Usler in 2010.
Detailed Description of the Collection