Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association Records
An Inventory of the Collection
The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at Austin MUNY (Austin Municipal) Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to, "...promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The first president was Mrs. A. H. (Sydna) Ater and the first treasurer-secretary was Mrs. Charles (Mildred) Neill. Neill succeeded Ater as president one year later. Meetings were held once per month. Weekly play was held every Wednesday in May through September at 8:30am, October through April at 9am. Prizes were awarded to the winner of each flight.
This small collection (.25 linear feet) is composed of three folders and one AWPLGA group photograph (1987) which document the activities of the organization and its members. The bulk of the collection (1939-1979) is contained within two folders. The first contains photocopies of news clippings (1939-1960) taken from the Austin American-Statesman which were originally part of a scrapbook owned by Mildred Neill. The clippings document early tournaments either sponsored by the organization or those in which it's members competed including the AWPLGA Annual Spring Tournament held at MUNY, the Annual City Golf Championship sponsored by the Austin Women's Golf Association, the Annual State Tournament sponsored by the Texas Women's Public Links Golf Association, and the South Texas Golf Tournament. The clippings also cover other local golf competitions and fund raising efforts the AWPLGA was involved in as well as Neill's amateur golf career. The second folder of material (1950-1979) was originally contained in a single binder and is composed of organizational records including a constitutionL bylaws, correspondence, meeting minutes, news clippings, membership rosters and information about various competitive events. The third folder (1999-2002) contains a small number of financial documents and printed material related to charitable events the organization was involved in.
Restrictions on Access
Restrictions on Use
Collection was donated by Margaret Rector.
Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association Records (AR.1991.040). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1990/010
Donation Dates: 1990 January, 2003 June
Finding aid was prepared and encoded by Susan Rittereiser 2010 May.
Detailed Description of the Collection