Central Texas Chapter of American Institute of Architects Records
An Inventory to the Collection
Perhaps one of the first formal gatherings of Texas architects was known as the Texas State Association of Architects. This organization met from 1886 to 1911. In 1913 this group changed the name to the Texas Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
On November 15, 1938 the Central Texas Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) was formed. The bylaws were established and members were soon added.
At a later date the Texas Society of Architects (TSA) was established. This organization was the unification of all Texas chapters of the AIA. By nature, any member of the Texas chapter of the AIA could also be a member of TSA. The TSA and the AIA hold a joint convention.
The majority of the materials in this collection document the term officers from 1952-1953. During this time period the Central Texas Chapter of the AIA president was Louis F. Southerland, the Vice President was Martin S. Kermacy, Charles T. Granger was Secretary, Allwyn G. Gannaway as Treasurer and Arthur Fehr as the TSA representative.
The collection consists of three series. The first series contains documents specifically associated with the function and activities of the Central Texas Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
The second series is made up of records generated by the national office of the AIA. National guidelines and standards of practice were strongly encouraged and enforced, thus, the presence of these documents were necessary for the local chapters to operate. Although these documents were created by a different entity they have been retained to illustrate the vital connection between the nation office and the local chapter. The membership lists within this group also contain the names of the Central Texas Chapter members.
The third series consists of records of the Texas Society of Architects (TSA). Because of the shared membership the TSA and the Central Texas Chapter of the AIS worked cooperatively in many respects. Included within this material are documents relating to the 14th Annual TSA-AIA Convention held in Austin in November of 1953.
Restrictions on Access
Restrictions on Use
Items donated by Mary Jane Fehr.
Central Texas Chapter of American Institute of Architects Records (AR.2009.006). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1961/010
Donation Date: 1985-11-02
Final Processing and Finding Aid By/Date: Tim Wilder, 1991
Detailed Description of the Collection