Elroy Farmer's Gin Company Ledger
An Inventory of the Collection
The Swedish Farmers' Gin Company was located in Elroy, Texas. Elroy was colonized by Texas-Swedes in the 1890s. The company was established in 1916 with Emil T. Nelson as president, Emil Wissen as secretary and A. Knut Nelson as treasurer. The company was run by a board of directors and had stockholders. According to the newly adopted by-laws the company changed its name to the Elroy Farmer's Gin Company in 1921.
E. T. Nelson and A. K. Nelson are brothers who farmed land in Elroy purchased by their father Olaus Nelson in 1893. Emil Nelson was born in 1875 in Austin, Texas and in 1905 married Anna Nyquist who has immigrated to Texas in 1900. Knut Nelson was born in 1881 and married Della Fredrikson in 1911. Both brothers were active in the Lutheran Church of Elroy.
The ledger covers the dates 1915 to 1950. Until 1922 much of the content of the ledger is in Swedish with the exception of the by-laws newly adopted in 1921. The ledger contains lists of stockholders, financial statements, stockholder meeting minutes, Board of Directors reports and meeting minutes and occasional correspondence interleaved in the pages. On March 1, 1950 the director's meeting minutes indicate there was decision to call a special meeting to consider reorganizing from an incorporated stock company to an incorporated non-profit cooperative. The meeting minutes from the special meeting held on March 14, 1950 detail the proceedings. A vote was called and there were 114 votes for and 40 votes against the reorganization. The Board of Directors was tasked with the power to complete the reorganization. The name was changed to Elroy Cooperative Gin Inc. This is the last entry in the ledger.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
Ledger donated by Thomas Blomquist and his relationship to the ledger is unclear. However, it is noted that the Blomquist family name appears among the list of stockholders in the ledger from 1916 to 1950.
Elroy Farmer's Gin Company Ledger (AR.2003.032). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/2003/144
Donation Date: 2003 December
Final processing and encoding by Molly Hults/2009.
Detailed Description of the Collection