TABLE OF CONTENTS
Godfrey Flury Scrapbook
An Inventory of the Collection
Godfrey Flury was born in Solothurn, Switzerland on July 6, 1864. He was educated in Catholic school and intended to join the priesthood. He came to the United States in 1881. By 1889, he was living in San Antonio working as an interior decorator and artist. In 1895, while living in Moulton, Texas, he was commissioned by the Catholic Church of Praha to decorate St. Mary’s Church. From 1895-1905, he painted frescoes and ceilings in other churches, private residences and public buildings located in Flatonia, Shiner, Moulton, Lavaca and San Antonio. In 1909, Flury moved to Austin and painted scenes for the show window at W. H. Richardson Hardware Store in the 400 block of Congress Avenue. By 1911, he had established a sign painting and poster advertising company at 502 Colorado St. Godfrey Flury was married three times: to Margaret Elniette Shafer in 1887, to Agnes Valchar in 1895, and, finally, to Alvine Glissman in 1911. He was a member of the Austin Saengerrunde Society and the Rotary Club as well as a Mason of the Scottish Rite, and a Shrine member of the Ben Hur Temple. He retired from business in 1929 and pursued oil painting. In 1934, at the age of 70, he enrolled at the University of Texas at Austin to study mechanical engineering. Godfrey Flury died in Austin on October 28, 1936.
The collection is comprised of one scrapbook containing newspaper articles primarily from the Austin Statesman documenting the business and personal activities of Godfrey Flury in Austin from 1912-1959. Articles are arranged by date. Sources and/or dates of some articles are unknown.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
Donated by Dorothy Agnes Flury.
Godfry Flury Scrapbook (AR.1994.029). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1963/020
Donation Date: 1968 June
Finding aid and encoding by Susan Rittereiser 2009 December