Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary

Presbytery of Central Texas (PCUS) collection, 1854-1965



Descriptive Summary

Creator: Presbytery of Central Texas (PCUS)
Title: Presbytery of Central Texas (PCUS) collection
Dates: 1854-1965
Abstract The Presbytery of Central Texas was primarily a regional division of the Presbyterian Church in the U. S. (PCUS), and was first organized on April 10, 1854 in Huntsville, Texas. The majority of this material (accession 1994-209) was gathered by the Ad Interim Committee on the Centennial in observance of the 100th anniversary of the Presbytery of Central Texas, celebrated on April 10, 1954.
Identification: 1994-209
Extent: 5 inches of manuscript material, 2 inches of photographic material
Language: Materials are in English.
Repository: Austin Seminary Archives, Stitt Library, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.

Administrative History

The Presbytery of Central Texas was primarily a regional division of the Presbyterian Church in the U. S. (PCUS), and was first organized on April 10, 1854 in Huntsville, Texas. The territory had previously been part of the Brazos Presbytery. The Presbytery was reorganized on December 31, 1957. In 1972, the Presbytery became part of the Presbytery of the Covenant.


Scope and Content Note

The majority of this material (accession 1994-209) was gathered by the Ad Interim Committee on the Centennial in observance of the 100th anniversary of the Presbytery of Central Texas, celebrated on April 10, 1954. The chairman of this committee was W. F. O’Kelley, and much of the project was coordinated by Dr. W. C. Tenney. Other committee members were C. T. Caldwell, W. H. Foster, Roger N. Conjer, James K. Howard, and T. Watson Street.

Other items have been added to this artificial collection, including published material.


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Materials are available by appointment only. Contact the archivist for details.


Index Terms

Personal Names
O’Kelley, William Francis, 1884-1959.
Organizations
Presbyterian Church in the U.S--Presbytery of Central Texas.
Subjects
Church Buildings--Texas.
Presbyterian Church--Texas--History.
Presbyterians--Texas.

Related Collections

See also the following collections at the Austin Seminary Archives:

Congregational History collection

William Stuart Red papers

Women of the Church collection


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Presbytery of Central Texas (PCUS) collection, 1854-1965, Austin Seminary Archives, Stitt Library, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary


Detailed Description of the Collection

Box
C055 History of the Presbytery of Central Texas, by Rev. L. Tenney, [fragile, preservation photocopy available in holding record], 1895



Box
C055 Revised Manual of the Presbytery of Central Texas, compiled by M. C. Hutton,1901



Box
C055 Correspondence and printed material – clipping and letter soliciting funds for home missions, 1911 and undated



Box
C055 History of the Presbytery of Central Texas,compiled by Mrs. S. M. Tenney [volume two and three],1939



Box
C055 Centennial Committee of the Central Texas Presbytery, minutes and correspondence, 1953



Box
C055 Centennial celebration program, April 20-21, 1954



Box
C055 Centennial celebration program, April 20-21, 1954



Box
C055 Histories of churches in the Presbytery of Central Texas, collected for the centennial observance in 1954:
Austin (and Eanes):
First Southern Presbyterian Church
University (Highland) Presbyterian Church
Wager Memorial Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church of Bartlett
Belton Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church of Cameron
First Presbyterian Church of Corsicana
Patterson Memorial Presbyterian Church of Eureka, TX
Fairfield Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church of Gatesville
First Presbyterian Church of Georgetown
First Presbyterian Church of Llano
Lott Presbyterian Church
Marlin Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church of Mart
Maysfield Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church of Mexia
Robinson Presbyterian Church
Rosebud Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church of Streetman
First Presbyterian Church of Taylor
First Presbyterian Church of Temple
First Presbyterian Church of Waco



Box
C055 “Historical Data Relating to the Original Presbytery of Central Texas: Organized April 10, 1854, Dissolved December 31, 1957,” [index available], [1957]



Box
C055 Slides accompanying “Celebrating a Century of Service in Central Texas,” an address given by Rev. W. F. O’Kelley, [includes text of address and prints made from slides by archivist],April 20, 1954



Box
C055 Report of the Ad-Interim Committee on “Glossolalia,” 105th General Assembly, [appointed in response to Overture 46 from the Presbytery of Central Texas], April 21, 1965