Presbyterian Children’s Home and Service Agency collection, 1959-1963 and undated
In 1903 the Synod of Texas appointed a committee to establish a Presbyterian orphanage and in 1906 the Southwestern Presbyterian Home and School for Orphans opened in Files Valley near Itasca, Texas. In 1953 the Synod established the Presbyterian Child Placement Agency in Dallas to assist in providing temporary foster care and securing permanent adoptive homes for children. The Presbyterian Children’s Home and Service Agency was formed in 1955 with the merger of these two organizations, and it maintained the home and school in Itasca and placement offices in Dallas. It was owned and operated by the Synod of Texas through a Board of Trustees. In 1957 the agency dropped its function as a school and enrolled the children in its care in local public schools. The agency expanded its operations to include locations in Houston, San Antonio, and Austin. The institution is now part of the Presbyterian Children’s Homes and Services.
Daniel Schoenbacher (?-2003?) was a member of the Board of Trustees of the Presbyterian Children’s Home and Service Agency.
Presbyterian Children’s Homes and Services website: http://www.pchas.org/
This collection consists of correspondence, minutes, reports and printed material, arranged by year of creation, and collected by Daniel Schoenbacher during his services on the Board of Trustees for the Presbyterian Children’s Home and Service agency from 1959-1963.
These materials were originally held by the Harris County Archives in Houston, Texas. The papers had extensive water damage and mold growth and salvageable materials were reformatted by photocopying onto acid-free paper. Some items were so severely damaged that they were unreadable and were discarded. The papers were found to be outside of the collecting scope of the Harris County Archives and were transferred to the Rice University Archives and then to the Austin Seminary Archives.
Materials are available by appointment only. Contact the archivist for details.
Presbyterian Children’s Home and Service Agency collection, 1959-1963 and undated, Austin Seminary Archives, Stitt Library, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
Detailed Description of the Collection