James Wilson Moore Family correspondence, 1830-1857 and undated
Rev. James Wilson Moore (1797-1873) was the first Presbyterian minister to preach and settle in Arkansas and is known as the father of Presbyterianism in Arkansas. After studying at the Theological Seminary at Princeton, he was licensed to preach in 1827 by Northumberland Presbytery in Milton, Pennsylvania and then ordained as a missionary to Arkansas. In January of 1828 he preached the first Presbyterian sermon in Little Rock, which was then in the Territory of Arkansas. Moore married Elizabeth G. Green of New Jersey in 1830, and in 1840 the family settled in a country home Moore named “Ruralia,” about thirty miles east of Little Rock. There Moore established a school for boys called Sylvania Academy where he taught for the next 25 years.
Charles Beatty Moore (1836-1911) was the son of James Wilson Moore and his wife, Elizabeth. He was a lawyer and Attorney General in Little Rock, Arkansas and an elder in the Presbyterian Church.
This collection consists of seven letters, primarily to or from James Wilson Moore and his son Charles Beatty Moore.
Materials are available by appointment only. Contact the archivist for details.
James Wilson Moore Family correspondence, 1830-1857 and undated, Austin Seminary Archives, Stitt Library, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
Detailed Description of the Collection