Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary

First Presbyterian Church of Waxahachie (Waxahachie, Texas) records, 1922-1978



Descriptive Summary

Creator: First Presbyterian Church (Waxahachie, Tex.)
Title: First Presbyterian Church of Waxahachie (Waxahachie, Texas) records
Dates: 1922-1978
Abstract The First Presbyterian Church of Waxahachie, Texas was established on November 19, 1871 and discontinued operations in 1979. This collection consists of .75 inches of reports, articles, correspondence, programs and other material documenting the history of the First Presbyterian Church of Waxahachie.
Identification: 1993-006
Extent: .75 inches
Language: Materials are in English.
Repository: Austin Seminary Archives, Stitt Library, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.

Administrative History

The First Presbyterian Church of Waxahachie, Texas was established on November 19, 1871 and discontinued operations in 1979. The church was a member of the Presbyterian Church of the United States (PCUS). Waxahachie is located about thirty miles south of Dallas in Ellis County.


Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of .75 inches of reports, articles, correspondence, programs and other material documenting the history of the First Presbyterian Church of Waxahachie.


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Materials are available by appointment only. Contact the archivist for details.


Index Terms

Organizations
First Presbyterian Church (Waxahachie, Tex.)
Subjects
Presbyterian Church--Texas--History.
Locations
Waxahachie (Tex.)--Church history.

Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

First Presbyterian Church of Waxahachie (Waxahachie, Texas) records, 1922-1978, Austin Seminary Archives, Stitt Library, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary

Acquisition Information

This material was donated to the Austin Seminary Archives in 1993 by Dean Gray, a former member of the Session of the First Presbyterian Church of Waxahachie.


Detailed Description of the Collection

Box
B031a Directory:
Presbyterian Church, U.S.A., Forreston, Texas, [copy], 1922



Box
B031a Programs:
January 16, 1927
January 30, 1927
Handwritten draft, circa 1969-1970



Box
B031a Program inserts:
“100th Anniversary, November 14, 1871-1971, First Presbyterian Church Waxahachie, Texas, Haves R. White, Minister” with A Brief History of the First Presbyterian Church U.S. Waxahachie, Texas, [three copies and a handwritten draft], 1971



Box
B031a Newspaper articles [all about FPC Waxahachie]:
“Impressive Ceremony Commemorates 58th Church Anniversary,” The Waxahachie Daily Light, November 17, 1929
“Church History is Interesting, Pioneers are Recalled, 1st Presbyterian 65 Years Old,” The Waxahachie Daily Light, November 18, 1936
“1st Presby. 75th Birthday Impressive,” November 19, 1946
”First Presbyterians Form Church Here Nov. 19, 1871,” October 20, 1963



Box
B031a Reports:
The First Presbyterian Church Waxahachie Texas, Presbytery of Dallas, Synod of Texas, (A Brief History prepared in March 1936), Diamond Jubilee of the Presbyterian Church, U.S., Centennial of the Independence of Texas, 1936
Inspective of First Presbyterian Church, Ted Jones and Robert Hall (architects and engineers), [two copies, both copies include a photograph of the church and architectural plans], July 2, 1965DATE
Untitled, on the history of First Presbyterian Church, 1971
Session’s Annual Statistical Report for the Office of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Church in the United States, The United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, Form A, church’s copy, 1977



Box
B031a Correspondence:
B. Blake Breitenhirt, Jr. of First Presbyterian Church of Eastman, Georgia To First Presbyterian Church of Waxahachie, August 18, 1978
Richard T. Davis, Clerk of the Session, First Presbyterian church of Waxahachie to Office of Administrator, Presbyterian Children’s Home, Itasca, Texas, [final letter and handwritten draft], August 19, 1978



Box
B031a Stationery:
First Presbyterian Church, Waxahachie, Texas, circa 1967-1969



Box
B025a Photograph:
First Presbyterian Church of Waxahachie, front and side facades, 8” X 10” black and white, Moreland Herring Photography of Waxahachie, Texas, May 1966