Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary

Marvin Eickenroht papers, 1940-1967



Descriptive Summary

Creator: Eickenroht, Marvin, 1898-1969
Title: Marvin Eickenroht papers
Dates: 1940-1967
Abstract Marvin Eickenroht (1898-1969) was a Texas architect who designed several buildings for Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary. The Marvin Eickenroht papers include correspondence, architectural drawings, printed material, maps, and financial documents related to Eickenroht’s professional work for the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary. The papers trace the beginnings of Eickenroht’s relationship with the Seminary as well as the design and construction of various building projects at the Seminary.
Identification: 2005-002
Extent: 7.5 inches of manuscript material, architectural drawings
Language: Materials are in English.
Repository: Austin Seminary Archives, Stitt Library, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.

Biographical note

Marvin Eickenroht (1898-1969) was a Texas architect who designed several buildings for Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.

Eickenroht graduated from The University of Texas at Austin with a bachelor’s degree in architecture in 1920, and then moved to Dallas. After two years of professional work, he undertook additional studies in architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, receiving a second bachelor’s degree in 1923. Eickenroht returned to Texas in 1925 and began practicing in San Antonio. He worked for several firms before opening his own office in the Maverick Building on East Houston Street in 1927. From 1927 to 1934, he completed commissions for schools, theaters, libraries, and churches in Seguin and San Antonio. In 1929, Eickenroht became an elected member of the American Institute of Architects (AIA).

Eickenroht’s first commission for the Austin Presbyterian Seminary was the chapel, 1940-1942. He designed a number of other buildings for the Seminary throughout the 1940’s, 1950’s, and 1960’s, including the Stitt Library and several student housing projects. Marvin Eickenroht died in San Antonio on February 22, 1969.

Sources:

  • Marvin Eickenroht Papers, Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library.
  • Eickenroht, Marvin, Biographical File, Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library.
  • Eickenroht, Marvin, Biographical File, Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library.


Scope and Content Note

The Marvin Eickenroht papers include correspondence, architectural drawings, printed material, maps, and financial documents related to Eickenroht’s professional work for the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary. The papers trace the beginnings of Eickenroht’s relationship with the Seminary as well as the design and construction of various building projects at the Seminary.

The Eickenroht papers are arranged by project chronologically from 1940 to 1955. They include Eickenroht’s correspondence with Seminary Presidents Thomas W. Currie and David L. Stitt, as well as with Acting President Robert F. Gribble and other members of the Seminary faculty. Also included are correspondence with contractors, construction proposals and contracts, and building specifications.

In addition to Eickenroht’s project files, related drawings by contractors and miscellaneous Seminary correspondence and publications make up the remainder of the collection.


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Materials are available by appointment only. Contact the archivist for details.


Index Terms

Personal Names
Currie, Thomas White, 1879-1943.
Eickenroht, Marvin, 1898-1969.
Gribble, Robert Francis, 1890-1970.
Stitt, David Leander.
Organizations
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary--Buildings.

Related Material

Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library – Marvin Eickenroht Papers, 1904-1969 ().

Related architectural drawings can also be found in the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary Records, see archivist for details.


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Marvin Eickenroht papers, 1940-1967, Austin Seminary Archives, Stitt Library, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary

Acquisition Information

The majority of these materials were donated to the Austin Seminary Archives by Mr. Bernard Harris of San Antonio, Texas in 2002.


Detailed Description of the Collection

Box
D010 Chapel (Project #40-165):
Statements, 21940-194
Correspondence, APTS Presidents, faculty 1941-1958
Publications and advertising using chapel images, 1941-1942
Proposals and bidders for chapel furnishings, 1940-1941
Correspondence with contractors, incl. American Seating, 1941-1949
Box
FF/10 “Proposed Addition to Chapel” [architectural drawings by Eickenroht, two sets of reproductions], 1960



Box
D010 Married Student Apartments (Project #48-218):
Statements, architect contract, correspondence, 1948
Proposals, plans, and brochures, 1948



Box
D010 Library (Project #49-229):
Correspondence, APTS President, faculty, 1948-1951
Correspondence with contract bidders, 1949
Box
D011 Specifications for contractors (2 copies), 1949
Proposals and contracts, 1949
Correspondence with contractors, 1950-1957
Box
FF/10 "Library Buildings, Project #49-224" [architectural drawings by Eickenroht, three sets of reproductions], 1949
"Supplemental Drawings – Library" [architectural drawings by Eickenroht, three sets of reproductions], 1949



Box
D011 Apartments (Project #51-239):
Specifications for contractors, circa 1951
Box
FF/10 Austin Seminary Apartments, Project #51-239, [architectural drawings by Eickenroht, originals], 1951



Box
D011 Dormitory (Project #54-261):
Correspondence, APTS president/faculty, contractors, 1953-1957
Specifications for contractors, 1954



Box
FF/10 Married Student Housing (Project #56-274):
Married Student Housing, Project #56-274, [architectural drawings by Eickenroht, originals], 1956



Box
D011 Mission Ranch:
Correspondence, sketches, 1954-1955



Box
D011 Architectural drawings – by contractors:
Seminary plot plans - drawings by contractors, 1966-1967
Box
FF/10 5’ contour map of seminary, 1946
Campus plan, 1957



Box
D011 Miscellaneous Seminary material:
Miscellaneous correspondence, 1958
Seminary publications, 1940-1967