Texas Archival Resources Online

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Descriptive Summary

Biographical note

Scope and Content Note

Restrictions

Index Terms

Related Material

Administrative Information

Description of Series

Correspondence:

Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary

Robert Lewis Dabney correspondence, 1889-1894



Descriptive Summary

Creator: Dabney, Robert Lewis, 1820-1898
Title: Robert Lewis Dabney correspondence
Dates: 1889-1894
Abstract Robert Lewis Dabney (1820-1898) was a Presbyterian theologian and educator in Virginia and Texas. This collection consists of five letters written by Robert Lewis Dabney between 1889 and 1894.
Identification: 1996-009
Extent: 6 items
Language: Materials are in English.
Repository: Austin Seminary Archives, Stitt Library, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.

Biographical note

Robert Lewis Dabney (1820-1898) was a Presbyterian theologian and educator in Virginia and Texas. He earned his degree in theology from Union Theological Seminary at Hampden-Sydney in 1846, and in 1853 was awarded an honorary Doctor of Divinity. He served as both the chair of ecclesiastical history and polity (1853-1859) and the chair of systematic and polemic theology (1859-1883) at Union Theological Seminary. During the Civil War, Dabney served as both a Confederate Army chaplain and the chief-of-staff for Stonewall Jackson. In 1883 he accepted the chair of mental and moral philosophy at the University of Texas at Austin. In 1884 he founded the Austin School of Theology, a predecessor of the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, with R. K. Smoot, a Presbyterian pastor.

Source: Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. "Dabney, Robert Lewis," (accessed February 8, 2008).

Return to the Table of Contents


Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of five letters written by Robert Lewis Dabney between 1889 and 1894. Two of the letters are written to Edward Owings Guerrant (one of which includes an enclosed letter from S. P. Lees to Guerrant), and three are written to George Summey. Topics of the correspondence include the founding of the Austin School of Theology, R. K. Smoot, the University of Texas at Austin, and the Southern Presbyterian Church.

Note: ALS = Autograph (Handwritten) Letter, Signed

Return to the Table of Contents


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Materials are available by appointment only. Contact the archivist for details.

Return to the Table of Contents


Index Terms

Personal Names
Dabney, Robert Lewis, 1820-1898.
Guerrant, Edward O. (Edward Owings), 1838-1916.
Summey, George, 1853-1954.
Organizations
Austin School of Theology.

Return to the Table of Contents


Related Material

See also the at the Austin Seminary Archives.

Larger collections of Robert Lewis Dabney’s papers are available at Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, VA and at the University of Virginia Alderman Library in Charlottesville, VA.

Return to the Table of Contents


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Robert Lewis Dabney correspondence, 1889-1894, Austin Seminary Archives, Stitt Library, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary

Return to the Table of Contents


Detailed Description of the Collection

 
Box
C030 Correspondence:
R. L. Dabney to Edward Owings Guerrant:
ALS, eight pages, re: financial support for the Austin School of Theology from the Kentucky Synod, August 5, 1889
ALS, three pages, re: acknowledgement of donation from S. P. Lees, discussion of current financial state of Austin School of Theology and Dabney’s health, [with enclosure S. P. Lees to Edward Owings Guerrant, ALS, two pages plus receipt for donation, re: $500.00 donation to the Austin School of Theology, April 19, 1926], April 26, 1890
R. L. Dabney to George Summey:
ALS, ten pages, re: Louisville Seminary, Austin School of Theology, R. K. Smoot, the University of Texas at Austin, and the Southern Presbyterian Church, July 31, 1894
ALS, four pages, re: proposed article on German idealism for the Presbyterian Quarterly, September 5, 1894
ALS, seven pages, re: proposed union of the Northern and Southern Presbyterian churches, October 10, 1894

Return to the Table of Contents