Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary

Austin School of Theology records, 1889-1899, 1930



Descriptive Summary

Creator: Austin School of Theology.
Title: Austin School of Theology records
Dates: 1889-1899, 1930
Abstract The Austin School of Theology (aka The Austin Theological School) was established in 1882 by Richmond Kelly Smoot, the pastor of the Southern Presbyterian Church in Austin. The school closed operations in 1895 after training forty-four ministers. After its closing, all assets were transferred to the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary. This is an artificial collection containing two inches of material documenting the school.
Identification: 1994-161; 1994-168; 1994-174; 1996-034; 2010-004
Extent: 3 inches
Language: Materials are in English.
Repository: Austin Seminary Archives, Stitt Library, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.

Administrative History

The Austin School of Theology (aka The Austin Theological School) was established in 1882 by Richmond Kelly Smoot, the pastor of the Southern Presbyterian Church in Austin. He was joined by Robert L. Dabney in 1884. Classes were initially held in Smoot’s study, then in the basement of the church until a separate building was built for the school. The school closed operations in 1895 after training forty-four ministers. After its closing, all assets were transferred to the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.


Scope and Content Note

The Austin School of Theology Records consists of two inches of material (bulk 1887-1899). The foundation and curriculum of the school is documented in the “Charter, Constitution and By-laws of the Business Corporation of the Austin School of Theology at Austin, Texas” as well as the annual catalogues of the school. Also documented is the founding and work of the Alumni Association of the Austin School of Theology.


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Materials are available by appointment only. Contact the archivist for details.


Index Terms

Personal Names
Dabney, Robert Lewis, 1820-1898.
Smoot, Richmond K.
Tanner, James Gilbert, 1859-1909.
Organizations
Austin School of Theology.
Presbyterian Church in the U.S.--Synod of Texas--Education.
Subjects
Presbyterian theological seminaries--Texas--History.

Related Material

See the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary Records for additional material on the Austin School of Theology.


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Austin School of Theology records, 1887-1899, 1930, Austin Seminary Archives, Stitt Library, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary


Detailed Description of the Collection

 

Annual Catalogues:

Box
B047 [One original and one photocopy], 1888-1889
[Photocopy], 1889-1890



 

“Charter, Constitution and By-laws of the Business Corporation of the Austin School of Theology at Austin, Texas”:

Box
B047 Pamphlet, 1887
Loose pages found in ledger, 1893-1899 and undated
Box
B036 [Bound ledger, handwritten, p. 1-33], November 13, 1889-April 6, 1899, February 25, 1930



 

Alumni Association of the Austin School of Theology:

Box
B076 Minutes and Constitution, [bound ledger, handwritten], 1890-1891
Box
B047 Loose pages found in ledger, 1890-1892
Alumni Address:
“The Austin School of Theology: Its Importance to the State and Church,” by Rev. J. G. Tanner of Houston, May 6, 1891



 

Books from the library collection:

Box
E019e The Church of God as an Essential element of the Gospel, and the Idea, Structure, and Functions Thereof. A Discourse in Four Parts, by Rev. Stuart Robinson [includes Austin Theological School bookplate, inscription from the author to R. L. Dabney, 2010-004] , 1858