John Franklin Anderson Jr. collection, 1952-1958, 1976-1988, 1995, 2005-2009
John Franklin Anderson, Jr. (1920-2009) was born in Dallas, Texas on May 27, 1920. He graduated from Highland Park High School in 1937. He obtained a bachelor’s degree from Austin College in 1941 and a Bachelor of Divinity from Union Theological Seminary in Virginia in 1944. After his ordination in 1944, he served as a Navy chaplain in the Pacific until 1946. Upon his return from World War II, he served as pastor of First Presbyterian Church of Tyler until 1951. He then became associate pastor of First Presbyterian Church of Dallas and was selected as senior pastor in 1952. In 1953, he earned a Master of Divinity from Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary. In 1958, Anderson relocated to Florida and became pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Orlando.
In 1965, Anderson shifted from acting as a pastor to a role within Presbyterian leadership. He moved to Atlanta, Georgia to act as executive secretary of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S. Board of National Ministries. He returned to Texas in 1973 for a second stint as pastor of First Presbyterian in Dallas. In 1982, Anderson served as president of the Greater Dallas Community of Churches and as moderator for the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S. The next year, he played an important role in the reunion of the United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A., which resulted in the current Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). In 1984, Mr. Anderson became pastor emeritus of First Presbyterian Dallas. He died on January 31, 2009 in Dallas.
In addition to his work as pastor and church leader, Anderson produced weekly religious newspaper columns in the Dallas Morning News from 1954-1958 and 1974-1984 and the Orlando Sentinel from 1958-1965.
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary chose to honor Anderson and his wife, Nancy, by naming a new dormitory on campus after them. The John F. and Nancy Anderson House was completed in 2009.
The John Franklin Anderson, Jr. Collection is comprised of newsletters, programs, invitations, books, architectural design drawings, a CD-ROM, DVDs, and a VHS tape. These materials document the fundraising activities and ceremonies for the John F. and Nancy Anderson House and Anderson himself. The collection is separated into two series. The first, The John F. and Nancy Anderson House, contains brochures, invitations, DVDs, newsletters, architectural design drawings, a CD-ROM, and a VHS tape that document the fundraising, groundbreaking, and dedication of the Anderson House dormitory on the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary campus.
The second series, John F. Anderson, Jr., consists of material directly related to Anderson. This includes programs, pamphlets, and a DVD from his funeral service as well as three church histories from the congregations that he served as pastor. Also included are a collection of Anderson’s weekly newspaper columns and various friends’ and family members’ recollections of Anderson, as well as a scrapbook compiled by Randal Whittington and Mike Murray commemorating Anderson’s life. The scrapbook [2016-013] was originally kept in the lounge at Anderson House.
Materials are available by appointment only. Contact the archivist for details.
John Franklin Anderson, Jr. collection, 1952-1958, 1976-1988, 1995, 2005-2009, Austin Seminary Archives, Stitt Library, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
This collection was primarily assembled by the Office of Institutional Advancement at the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.
Processed by Elizabeth Garber, Archives Assistant, August 2009. Additions processed by Kristy Sorensen, January 2016, February 2017.
Detailed Description of the Collection