Pine Crest Presbyterian Church Collection PH.0010
An Inventory of Records at the African American Library at the Gregory School, Houston Public Library
Pinecrest Presbyterian Church began as a Presbyterian Mission in 1922 when Rev. James H. M. Boyce moved to Houston with his family. He responded to a request from Dr. A. M. Hardie, Pastor of the Second Presbyterian Church, to begin this type of mission in the black community of Fifth ward. The congregation was then organized as a church and moved into the Gregg Street building in 1928. This would mark the beginning of one of the leaders in the Historic Fifth Ward Area of Houston. The church carried out a ministry to the entire community. The first Boy Scout Troop for Black youth in Houston was organized as well as Vacation Bible School and the Hi-Y Movement. During The Great Depression, the church operated a relief center to provide food, clothing, shelter, and medical care for those in need. In 1949, the congregation of 287 members had outgrown the Gregg St. building and land was purchased across from historic Phillis Wheatley High School. By November 1950, the new structure was completed and on March 18, 1951, the Dedication Service of Pine Crest Presbyterian Church was held.
After Rev. Shipley succeeded Rev. Boyce, Rev. Triem succeeded Rev. Shipley and would be instrumental in the church offering mission programs including a food pantry, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Summer Enrichment Computer Classes, Youth Employment, and Day Camp. Pine Crest would be a charter member of The Metropolitan Organization. A housing rehabilitation project was begun in cooperation with Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church. Rev. Triem retired in 1999 and left a legacy of Christian Service. Rev. Triem served over 31 years and helped shape Pine Crest into one of the most active churches in the area. Rev. Triem stated, "If we hunger and thirst for righteousness we will never see the complete realization of what we're working for, and success may elude us. Nevertheless, We will be filled."
Later, Rev. David L. Northcutt succeeded Rev. Triem as interim minister until 2003. Pastor J.D. Intsiful succeeded Rev. Northcutt in 2004 until 2012 .
The Pine Crest Presbyterian Church Photo Collection is comprised of seven scanned images that were done as a part of the Gregory School’s Neighborhood Scanning project. All of the scanned images were from original photos and documents provided from the donor.
Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Pine Crest Presbyterian Church Photo Collection must be obtained from African American Library at the Gregory School or the appropriate copyright holder.
PH0010, African American Library at the Gergory School, Houstion Public Library.
Donated by: Pine Crest Presbyterian Church, March 2009
Processed by: Vince Lee, November 2009
Modified by: Miguell Ceasar, August 2013
Edited by: Billy Glasco, Jr., August 2013
Detailed Description of the Collection