Selected Online Resources
| Nursing Research on the Web |
Health Apps |
Health Web Sites |
| International and U.S Information |
| Texas Information |
| Organizations |
Tests and Measurements |
Nursing Research on the Web
- Diagnosaurus—1000+ differential diagnoses
- First Consult—relates to MD Consult database
- Medical Spanish
- mTBI Pocket Guide "provides care providers with a comprehensive, quick reference that includes clinical practice guidelines for assessing and treating service members and Veterans who have sustained a mild TBI."
- Patient Tracker "is an iPhone and iPod touch app that helps doctors and nurses track information about their patients... Store history & physical (H&P) and notes for each patient."
- PubMed on Tap or PubMed on Tap Lite (FREE)
- ReUnite "is an app for uploading missing and found person information for post-disaster family reunification..."
- SOS—emergency care instructions for laypersons
Health Web Sites
- AMA DoctorFinder
- American Hospital Directory
- Grey Literature Reports from the New York Academy of Medicine
- Hardin MD: Medical Picture Gallery—from the University of Iowa
- HealthFinder The Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion maintains this
database of reliable health publications, clearinghouses, web sites, governement
agencies, and non-profit agencies.
- Health Resources and Services Administration Site for publications, resources, and referrals on health care services for low-income, uninsured individual,s and those with special health care needs.
- HIV InSite, "Comprehensive, up-to-date information on HIV/AIDS treatment, prevention, and policy from the University of California San Francisco"
- Indexmedico is a comprehensive bilingual web dictionary of medical information.
- Interagency Council on Information Resources in
"...a voluntary group made up of agencies and organizations concerned with providing library and informational resources for nursing and improving access to library services for all nurses."
- Joanna Briggs Institute: Evidence Based Nursing
- Martindale's Health Science
Guide "Currently the Health Science Guide contains over 140,850 Medical Cases & Grand Rounds;
1,560 Courses/Textbooks; 67,800 Teaching Modules & Files;
550 Journals; 4,800 Databases, Atlases & Image Databases;
& 1,000's of Videos/Movies"
- Mayo Clinic
- MedlinePlus has extensive information from the National Institutes of Health and other trusted sources on more than 500 diseases and conditions. Also includes lists
of hospitals and physicians, a medical encyclopedia and dictionaries, health
information in Spanish, extensive information on prescription and
nonprescription drugs, health information from the media, and links to thousands
of clinical trials.
- Medpedia is "a collaborative encyclopedia and resource for information about health, medicine and the body... Only physicians and Ph.D.s are allowed to edit the articles on Medpedia..."
- The Merck Manuals are well known guides for concise summary information concerning diseases and their treatments.
- Medical Expenditure Panel Survey "is a set of large-scale surveys of families and individuals, their medical providers, and employers across the United States. MEPS is the most complete source of data on the cost and use of health care and health insurance coverage."
- Medscape has FREE CNE and medical news.
- OncoLink contains information on cancer research and treatment, from Univ. of Pennsylvania.
- PubMed for Handhelds
- RxList Internet Drug Index
- Science.gov , Health & Medicine resources
- USP (U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention) is "the official public standards-setting authority for all prescription and over-the-counter medicines, dietary supplements, and other healthcare products manufactured and sold in the United States."
International and U.S. Information
- Agency for Healthcare Research
and Quality is "the Nation's lead Federal agency for research on health care quality, costs, outcomes, and patient safety."
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), from the FDA
- Dept. of Health and Human Services
- National Cancer Institute
- National Conference of State Legislatures is a great site for information on state health
- National Council of the State Boards of Nursing
- National Information
Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology improves "..the collection, storage, analysis, retrieval, and dissemination of information on health services research, clinical practice guidelines, and on health care technology, including the assessment of such technology."
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- NIH Electronic Research Administration provides information about grants and other financial resources.
- National Library of Medicine
- Office of Human Subjects Research
- Office for Human Research Protections
- Science.gov Health & Medicine Resources
- World Health Organization
Texas and Regional Information
Nursing Indexes to
Articles | Electronic Journals | Full Text Resources
| Internet Resources
Selected Nursing Reference Resources | Guides and Tools for Citing Sources
Your comments are