Education Policy and Legislation
Academic Search Complete - A large interdisciplinary database. A quick way to see if researchers from other disciplines are conducting research related to your topic of interest.
Access World News - A large news database to find newspaper, radio and television coverage/reaction to policy and legislation.
American Factfinder - A Census Bureau site that allows users to find data/stats based on geography, including school district.
Education Source - Our largest education database! Indexes over 1,750 publications!
ERIC - Includes many government documents related to education and journal articles related to education policy.
Index to Current Urban Documents - Contains reports from many cities across the united states. Browsable by geography or by subject (including education).
PAIS- A policy database that covers many issues, including education.
ProQuest Congressional Publications - Congressional hearings, Congressional committee prints, the Congressional record, Congressional Research service reports, and unpublished hearings. Searchable by keyword.
ProQuest Legislative Insight - Legislative histories of federal laws. The "Legislative Process" search is especially helpful. It allows the user to search by law number and see any documents related to a law, in chronological order, with a description of what each document is. Try it with No Child Left Behind (PL107-110) to get an idea of how it works.
Sociological Abstracts - Some coverage of social policy.
Social Explorer - Useful for finding data/statistics from a specific place and time. Based on historic census data.
Handbooks & Encyclopedias
Why use them? To get a overview of a concept or theory that's new to you, to learn important terms/lingo that may be useful search terms, and to discover important names and publications associated with your topic.
Gale Virtual Reference Library An online collection of encyclopedias that is searchable by keyword
Handbook of Education Policy Research l print
Handbook of Research in Education Finance and Policy l print
Recent Arrivals: virtually browse books about educational policy
Library Catalog: search UT's book collection
Related PCL Call # Ranges: for those who like to browse the stacks...
- LB 1027.9 : Choice of School
- LB 2801 LB 3095 : School Administration and Organization
- LC 71 to LC 120.4 : Education and the state
- LC 213 to LC 214 : Educational Equalization, School Intergration
Related Subject Headings:
- Alternative Schools
- Charter Schools
- Democracy and Education
- Discrimination in Education
- Education -- United States -- Finance
- Education Economic Aspects
- Education and State
- Educational Accountability
- Educational Change
- Educational Equalization
- Educational Policy
- Educational Vouchers
- Government Aid to Education
- Privatization in Education
- Public Schools -- United States -- Finance
- School Choice
- School Improvement Programs
Documents, Data & Legislation
National Association of Elementary School Principals | Advocacy Center
Texas Association of Secondary School Principals | Legislative Update
Center & Institute Sites
- American Institutes for Research
- Brookings Institution
- Carnegie Foundation
- Center for Education Policy Analysis (Standord Univeristy)
- Center for Education Policy Research (Harvard University)
- Center for Education Reform
- Center for the Study of Education Policy (University of Illinois)
- Center on Education Policy
- Coalition for Community Schools
- Consortium for Policy Research in Education (University of Wisconsin)
- Education Policy and Data Center
- Fordham Institute
- RAND Corporation
- National Education Policy Center (University of Colorado)
- Texas Center for Education Policy (University of Texas)
- Urban Institute